Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 worst beers in your opinion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    Oh dear! This line of comments is definitely the strangest thing I have come across on here for a while.

Duvel - one of the best beers in the world - is slated, while Carlsberg and Stella are praised?? Don't really know what else to say about that!

Granted, as with all of these things, it's a matter of taste and will differ from person to person, but this is just bizarre.

Do you really think Duvel tastes nice? I love weissbiers mostly and drink pilsners and lagers from all over the world, and Duvel is definitely the worst tasting beer I've ever had. I might give it a lash again to try prove myself wrong but the last time I had it, the after taste was atrocious!

Well I'm not saying that Stella and Carlsberg are fantastic, I'm saying that they get slated constantly and for the money, they are great beers.

Paulaner and Spaten are my 2 favourite beers.

jester77 wrote: »
    Surprised to see Staropramen and Flensburger in anyones list!

Budweiser, Heineken, Miller, Corona and some beer that I have thankfully forgotten the name of. Tesco used to sell it years ago and it was dirt cheap at the time, it was French, came in short fat 330ml bottles and tasted liked mushy peas.

Bier d'Or?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

yupyup7up wrote: »
    the after taste was atrocious!
    It's a strong ale. If your preference is for clean-tasting pale lagers and weissbier (as your post suggests) then it's understandable that you won't like it.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's a strong ale. If your preference is for clean-tasting pale lagers and weissbier (as your post suggests) then it's understandable that you won't like it.

yeah It's not my cup o' joe anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

yeah It's not my cup o' joe anyway...

That's fair enough of course, and it'd be silly to think that everyone would have the same tastes, but as was mentioned above you have to keep in mind that it's not a lager (despite it's golden appearance). It's an 8.5% golden ale and as such the flavours are pretty big and dominating compared to a lager, or even a weiss.

Try it again on its own (as in not after drinking other beers first) and it'd be interesting to see if you still hate it. Perhaps it's just not for you.

Anyway, for my tupence worth the top 5 worst beers are:

1. Budweiser - the king of bad beer. I have turned down free pints of it. Just can't drink it.
    2. Miller - like sudsy dishwater
    3. Dutch Gold
    4. Fosters
    5. Corona - slightly controvorsial perhaps, and there are probably some worse beers that I could list, but I just find it odd that it is seen as such a "premium" beer when it tastes exactly like most of the other crap beers listed above when it isn't masked by the taste of a lime!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

hangovers.)

BTW stella is a lovely, underrated beer IMO

HOLD ON! carlsberg is a nice beer! a few beer snobs on here...

Agree. Stella has a really nice flavour but from the can not the bottle :eek:

Carlsberg is just rubbish though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

not an expert on beers by any stretch but im glad its not just me that thinks carlsberg is orrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Dahtac

Currently wandering around Maastricht seeing ads for 0% Bavaria all over the place, am slightly tempted to try even if it hurts althoug I will probably just go and find a good beer instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Bier d'Or?

that would be it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

BeerNut wrote: »

Im more into wheats & dark ales but even i can appreciate the deliciousness of Duvel. The stuff is a taste sensation. I'd drink a hell of a lot more of the stuff if a. it was less expensive & b. its wasn't so strong, damn that stuff will put you on your ass if your not careful.

Each to their own but feckin hell theres not too many folks (who like a good beer) will say the stuff tastes bad??!

:confused:

• Advertisement

agreed. duvel lovely beer but for me prefer if it was'nt so strong.

is there aomething wrong with me. i'd prefer galahad aldi over heineken bud carlsberg. just an easy beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

is there aomething wrong with me. i'd prefer galahad aldi over heineken bud carlsberg. just an easy beer.

Nothing wrong with liking something over something else. Thats your choice. Galahad isn't the worst of them. Im actually a bit of a fan of Aldi's St Etienne, i'd take the stuff over miller/bud/heineken/carling any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

1. Bud light
    2. Budweiser
    3. Bud light
    4. Budweiser
    5. Bud light

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Bush from Anhouser Bush the people who bring you Budweiser need I say more???
    And Peroni make Miller draft under licence in europe blind taste them and let me know the answer.

Miller is piss-water too. The thread is for Worst five beers so had there been a call for ten, I Wouk have mentioned five other beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hudhastings

they changed the dutch gold can recipe its now 4% as apposed to 4.2 it horrible now crap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I don't see how anybody can say that the likes of Blue Moon, Hoegaarden, paulaner, Peroni etc are the WORST beers. Granted they're not the BEST beers but just because tesco sell them doesn't mean that they are awful by a long shot considering what is out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Coors
    Miller
    Carlsberg
    Punk IPA
    Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Punk IPA

Woah 2edgey4me.

Ot: Belzebuth Extra strong. 500ml can from France. 12.5 % I can't even begin to describe the taste. Absolutely shocking stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭squonk

1. Heineken - awful piss
    2. Budweiser - the beer that's so inoffensive I can drink when I'm under the weather
    3. Fosters - Why it's still available is beyond me
    4. Banana Beer by, I think it's Youngs. It's an abomination
    5. Fink Brau - Got some bottles once. Coloured water from what I remember

Not getting the hate for Carlsburg here. It's not marvellous, but if I've to drink piss water, then Carlsberg is less pissy than the alternatives. It's fairly OK for what it is.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Am I the only one who actually likes big brand lager here?

I wouldn't know the names of the 'worst' five beers I've ever tasted, but they all were invariably either wheat beers, or some brand of ale / pale ale / IPA...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

what about hop house 13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I think Budweiser is the only beer I actually can't drink. Most cider's too but that's just personal preference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Budweiser (by a country mile)/Bud Lite, Harp, possibly Tennants as the last time I risked it, it was unbearable - but I used to actually drink it about a decade ago.

I'm actually struggling to think of two more that I don't at least see how they could be to someones tastes. I've rarely found a Blonde I like but that's personal taste rather than the product being terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

1. Bud light - only Americans will drink this piss.

2. Fosters - even the Australians won't drink it.

3. Harp - even the Irish won't drink it.

4. Dutch Gold - brewed for those with no money/taste buds/hope.

5. Tennants - Headache in a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

RasTa wrote: »

Wow. Sums it up perfectly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Is McEwan's still available, I remember getting cans of it on the cheap for a camping trip one summer, drank one warm and it was sickening, so I threw the rest into a plastic bag and weighed it down with some rocks, into a river to chill them.

Even chilled, it was undrinkable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Still going, though I don't think it's sold here. I guess it disappeared when Scottish & Newcastle was dismantled. Even in the UK, the lager isn't anywhere near as mainstream as it was 15 or 20 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Is McEwan's still available, I remember getting cans of it on the cheap for a camping trip one summer, drank one warm and it was sickening, so I threw the rest into a plastic bag and weighed it down with some rocks, into a river to chill them.

Even chilled, it was undrinkable.

I assume you mean McEwan's Export, I had a pint of it in a pretty dodgy East End Glasgow pub last month and I didn't think of it was atrocious. Certainly more flavoursome than a Smithwicks.

Advertisement