Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 worst beers in your opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres not a lot wrong with Harp. Its actually quite pleasant.

Budweiser.... is a funny one.
    Drank uk bottles and found them to be drinkable. Tried to drink an irish bottle and there was a mild taste of sewage off it.
    (after only drinking a handful of 4% long necks I was desperately sick the next day with a hangover. I'd drink 7 or 8 500ml german beers @5% and be grand, which makes you question what they do with budweiser)

Havent had a draught lager in Ireland of any kind in about 15years as the gassy metallic taste off all of them is just criminal. Why cant the feckin pubs use standard CO2 rather than the strange gas concoction that is seemingly unique to ireland

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Worst I've ever had is a very cheap lager called Keller

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

1. Carling - bottle, can, draught it's always been awful, one of the few beers I'd refuse if offered from a friends fridge
    The rest in no particular order:
    2. Miller Genuine Draft - taste wise it's ok, it just immediately gives me a headache
    3. Carslberg - pretty inoffensive chilled in a bottle from the fridge but I've never had a good pint of it
    4. Lagunitas Brown Shugga' - liquid brown sauce
    5. Corona - with lime/lemon, without it, regardless tastes like dishwater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Dutch Gold
    Smithwicks
    Harp
    Michael Collins Stout
    Kilkenny

In no particular order

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Michael Collins Stout

Do you mean Porterhouse Wrasslers?

wrasslers-porterhouse.jpg

Fantastic beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

irish_goat wrote: »
    Do you mean Porterhouse Wrasslers?

wrasslers-porterhouse.jpg

Fantastic beer.

Can't be. It's not Guinness 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

My 5 would be

Budweiser
    Miller
    Carling
    English brewed Stella Artois
    Red Stripe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

irish_goat wrote: »
    I assume you mean McEwan's Export, I had a pint of it in a pretty dodgy East End Glasgow pub last month and I didn't think of it was atrocious. Certainly more flavoursome than a Smithwicks.

Possibly the defunct McEwan's lager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

Surprised to see so much Carling, Miller, Corona etc. Fairly bland tasting mediocre lagers, but hardly something you'd describe as the worst of something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Agreed. The like of Miller & Corona taste of nothing, how these could be considered offensive is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Because we all drink real Indian Pale Ale's here, craft brewed. No time for mass produced lager any more, we've turned our backs on what we grew up on. Like recently converted atheists who despise the Church of our youth...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

Galahad from lidl...78 cent a can..utter piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Not sure of the brand name but I tried a Mango Beer from a German tent at an Xmas Market and it was just awful. Would put me off trying those novelty beers (cactus and the likes). Not a big fan of the Strawberry Beer you can get in the Porterhouse either, too sweet for my taste.

Miller is another beer I cannot abide. It's not a judgement on the quality but the taste just doesn't agree with me. Can't understand how the yanks love it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

I used to drink pints of carlsberg about 15 to 20 yr.s ago and thought it was lovely stuff. But I could only drink 3 or 4 in a go for whatever reason? Now, and perhaps for the last 10 yr.s I find it bland at best . Did the ****ers change the recipe.:mad:

1.corona
    2.Sol
    3.Dutch Gold
    4.Bud
    5.Carling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because we all drink real Indian Pale Ale's here, craft brewed. No time for mass produced lager any more, we've turned our backs on what we grew up on. Like recently converted atheists who despise the Church of our youth...

I grew up on smithwicks and Black Bush (thanks to my grandfather), so I've not changed much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

OneOfThem wrote: »
    Surprised to see so much Carling, Miller, Corona etc. Fairly bland tasting mediocre lagers, but hardly something you'd describe as the worst of something?
    It's a mild form of trolling shitstirring. People think its "cool" to express a feigned OTT hatred of popular things, be it beer, music, chocolate. ketchup, electronics (ipod/apple haters).

You get these stupid threads with people saying "ughhh, heinz ketcup, I'd rather lick a dogs arse, chef is the only ketchup". When I expect if they were at a friends BBQ they would have a squirt on a burger, and not even look at the dogs arse twice ;)

If people have heineken & carlsberg in the top 5, if it's really true then I would guess they have simply sampled feck all of the many thousands of beers out there.

Its more like "whats the last 5 beers you would choose last in your local pub" -which has feck all selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Budweiser and Miller are the two that i honestly cant stomach anymore. Like a lot of people I started on Bud. Had a pint of it during Cheltenham and I didnt get beyond half way before leaving it.

Miller is the one ive always had a severe dislike to. Im not sure what it is but i get this chemical taste from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

1 - Tecate Light. Singlehandedly the worst beer I've ever tasted
    2 - Hackenberg
    3 - Bowen Island anything (Canadian ****e)
    4 - Bavaria Special Blond beer
    5 - Duvel (I don't care what anyone says, this stuff is rotten!)

As for Heineken, draught Heineken in Ireland is very nice if you go to a good pub. I've never had a good pint in Dublin(City centre, I'm sure there are good places)

Go to any of the old man pubs in Limerick and you'll get a savage pint of it! I even convinced someone I know who only lights dark beer to try it and they loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Duvel (I don't care what anyone says, this stuff is rotten!)
    Heretic :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

1. Carling: One pitcher of the stuff was enough to scar me for life. How anyone could order this over anything else in a pub is a mystery. Foul, metallic, fizzy filth.

2. Tennants: If Hell exists, warm cans of Tennants are surely on its bar menu.

3. Delirium Red: It looks beautiful, and comes from an esteemed family. But, for me, the sweet and sickly cherry flavour is massively overpowering. One of the very few beers I couldn't finish. Luckily, I was in the Delirium Café and so there were another 1999 beers to choose from as my next tipple.

4. San Miguel: I have conflicting opinions on this beer. On the one hand, it rekindles fond memories. It is also reasonably drinkable when ice cold. Once that coldness inevitably dissipates, however, all you are left with is Tennant's Iberian brother.

5. Budweiser: Soapy water should remain in the bathroom. Please keep it out of beer bottles.

I find most lagers, other than the four ones in the list above, to be palatable. It's much of a muchness between the macro brands like Heineken, Carlsberg, Tuborg, Harp, Staropramen, etc. After two or three pints they all taste quite similar, especially if they are ice cold.

On a side note, I can't understand how anyone can list the likes of Hoegaarden, Paulaner and Duvel as being amongst the worst they have ever tasted.

Patww79 wrote: »

They're such different beers though. Duvel isnt a session beer whereas Jupiler is perfect for a heavy sitting. Duvel should be nowhere near any worst 5 lists though.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

1. Budweiser/Miller/Coors Light - each could have a spot on the list on their own, but they're equally as bad as each other and I'd rather go thirsty than drink any of them.

2. Corona/Sol - Mexico's version of those listed above.

3. Lomza Miodowe - Polish honey beer. Vile sickly sweet smell and taste. One mouthful saw the rest of the bottle poured down the sink.

4. Steinlager - New Zealand's biggest export beer. Easy to see why, the locals don't want to drink it because it's so bad.

5. Desperados - there's a special place in hell reserved for the person who thought this muck was a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

markc2951 wrote: »
    Galahad from lidl...78 cent a can..utter piss

Aldi I believe sells that. Good for a top up, that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Desperados has to be in everyone's top 5. Is it even classed as beer.
    More like a beer flavoured Alco pop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

I've been around the block with all the below so here my spiel..
    Fosters I must be the only one so far who actually likes the stuff? Corona is another favourite.. Carlsberg isn't the worst either is it??

As for the ruff stuff..
    Bud. Even smelling the stuff gives me a headache.
    Miller. See above. There is actually a phenomenon called the miller headache according to miller reps. Not overly discussed I'd say..
    Smithwicks. Like drinking donkey's piss.
    Dutch gold and royal Dutch. The reputation these 'beers' have- has made me not even try them. Even in college..
    Cruzcampo. Bloody hell..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Patww79 wrote: »

Duvel is golden coloured, not brown. You must be thinking of another beer.

Advertisement