Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is it time to give up on a dog?

• 28-05-2011 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

A neighbour of mine died last year and I took in his dog as the poor thing was left homeless. He is a lovely dog with me but otherwise he has been a complete disaster. He would attack and bite visitors to the house unless he was muzzled. Barks like no other dog ever did. I adore this dog but must admit I am really feeling the strain of trying to mind him and keep him from doing something bad. He gets on great with my other dogs though.

I have to leave him in a kennel when I am away for any length of time as the other members of the family can't manage him.

I would sometimes have to leave work to feed him as I would have to remove the muzzle.

I did not like leaving a muzzle on him all day so I built a very large secure run for him. But then one of my cats wandered into the run and he attacked the cat. I just can't ever relax with this dog around and am at my wits end. I am on the point of giving up and handing him into the pound even though the thought of doing that horrifies me but I can't take the mental strain much longer. :(.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Il be honest with you and say if you leave him into the pound and be honest with them they'l probably put him down straight away, if you leave out the fact that he has a bite history you risk someone adopting him and biting them. Very few rescues will take on a dog with a bite history as they just cannot risk it. So really your only options are having him put to sleep yourself or getting a behaviourist in and sorting out the problem. Obviously the second option is preferable.

I see your in Kerry, someone might be able to recommend a good behaviourist that uses humane methods that you could contact.

What would you say his problem is? Is it just him being territorial of your property or is he only like this around food or his posessions (toys, beds etc.)? Can you see any pattern to who he goes for, men, women, people wearing hats/hoods etc? How often is he walked?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Im sorry you are in this position. Try contacting Karen at
    www.dogtrainingkerry.net/thetrainer.html.

Hope she can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I have decided to keep the dog and go to Karen to see what she can do with him.But I have also decided that unless I am actually at home the dog he will have to be tied up while I am away. The dog is too dangerous to be allowed to roam freely even in a colditz type secure dog run. Its the only way I can feel relaxed and can't be leaving him run around with a muzzle on him all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

a colditz type secure dog run.

Oh no they have broken out. My collie is an expert at finding weaknesses. It was only finished this week. :confused:

I need some ex east German border guards.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You just need a good quality dog run, cilldara.ie or hayses modular have strong runs none of mine have managed to break out of them. Give him plenty of toys like kongs etc. while you are out.

Would also highly recommend a dog trainer they can do amazing work as long as you put in the work with the training too, dog training ireland as mentioned or dogs behaving badly is another site both are great and use only humane methods of training they can do wonders.

• Advertisement
Advertisement