Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transplanting hornbeam hedge-safe to do so??

Options
  • 28-05-2011 1:13am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

I have around 20 Hornbeam hedges planted in my back garden.They are bareroots and were planted late march,they are flying and growing very well.They are around 3-4 feet high now.

I want to move them to the side front garden to complete the garden,and create a nice windbreak hedge down the side of my front garden.

They would only be out of the ground for a matter of minutes as they would be planted straight back into the front garden with compost,manure and fertilizer pellets.

Is it ok and safe to transplant them now,or would they be killed/die off from movng them??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

paddy147 wrote: »
    I have around 20 Hornbeam hedges planted in my back garden.They are bareroots and were planted late march,they are flying and growing very well.They are around 3-4 feet high now.

I want to move them to the side front garden to complete the garden,and create a nice windbreak hedge down the side of my front garden.

They would only be out of the ground for a matter of minutes as they would be planted straight back into the front garden with compost,manure and fertilizer pellets.

Is it ok and safe to transplant them now,or would they be killed/die off from movng them??

Thanks.:)

Very risky. The slightest damage to the tap root will kill them.
    I would wait 'til late autumn/winter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

slowburner wrote: »
    Very risky. The slightest damage to the tap root will kill them.
    I would wait 'til late autumn/winter.

Thanks,I suppose waiting 1 more summer and autumn wont kill me.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Nor the Hornbeams ;)

Advertisement