Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migraines and meds

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I've been getting migraines for many years now. I've had one every day for the past two weeks. Nothing over the counter works for me. I generally need Zomig and ponstan. My doctor put me on a course of Amitriptylline but does nothing for me. My blood pressure is high at the moment so this is the probable cause for the recent cluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

i hadnt had a migraine in about 8 months, my migraine triggers tend to be artificial sweeteners so i avoid anything that has diet in the name, 2 weeks ago i bought the kelloggs cereal mini maxx and have suffered from 4 migraines in the last 2 weeks, so today i was checking the ingredients and it contains sorbitol which is listed as a humectant, its the only part of my diet that i can think of as a trigger, very annoying.......

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭maidie

Hi All,

Glad to have found this thread as I now have to accept that it seems I have been suffering from migraine for quite a while, I used to get left eye pain which would start and gradually get worse over a 3 day period, I didn't always have them on a monthly basis, sometimes I would get 6 weeks or even 8 weeks. I now am getting them every month coinciding with my monthly cycle. Gradual worsening left eye pain, headache, nausea and general fatigue. I try not to take anything but if I'm working I usually take Ibuprofen, this helps a little. I'm not great at taking medication of any sort usually.

I have not attended a G.P but have my eyes checked regularly and all is fine there. At least I'm not alone, did anyone else start getting similar attacks starting in late thirties? I also notice when the symptoms are gone, I feel really well and energetic, Bizarre,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I'm sorry, but you suffer from monthly headaches that last for three days, you have been suffering from them for some time, and you haven't seen the doctor?!?

But yet you come looking to the Internet for advice/reassurance?!?

Are you mad?

Go to your doctor tomorrow.

maidie wrote: »
    Hi All,

Glad to have found this thread as I now have to accept that it seems I have been suffering from migraine for quite a while, I used to get left eye pain which would start and gradually get worse over a 3 day period, I didn't always have them on a monthly basis, sometimes I would get 6 weeks or even 8 weeks. I now am getting them every month coinciding with my monthly cycle. Gradual worsening left eye pain, headache, nausea and general fatigue. I try not to take anything but if I'm working I usually take Ibuprofen, this helps a little. I'm not great at taking medication of any sort usually.

I have not attended a G.P but have my eyes checked regularly and all is fine there. At least I'm not alone, did anyone else start getting similar attacks starting in late thirties? I also notice when the symptoms are gone, I feel really well and energetic, Bizarre,

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭maidie

I'm sorry, but you suffer from monthly headaches that last for three days, you have been suffering from them for some time, and you haven't seen the doctor?!?

But yet you come looking to the Internet for advice/reassurance?!?

Are you mad?

Go to your doctor tomorrow.

Hi I am a health care professional and a very healthy one at that with no sick leave for as long as I can remember, I have spoken to colleagues(doctors and pharmacist) about this before and none of were alarmed or overly concerned. I am not a hypochondriac just interested in other peoples experience of migraine and trigger factors and hormonal changes and 3 day symptoms are not unusual,

So while I appreciate you view, I can assure you that thankfully I am quite sane and well balanced to boot;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

For those that get migraines mixed with an upset stomach, it may be worth trying a small amount of Sodium Bicarbonate mixed with half a glass of water, to try and neutralize stomach acid.

Don't use too much, as otherwise it may be too salty to drink, but it seems to have helped alleviate the on/off migraine I've been having today; it's certainly a direction worth experimenting with for migraine sufferers (I'm increasingly quite sure, that for a lot of people, migraines are related to and possibly caused by stomach problems).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Just got 1 his morning I'm getting them more frequently and I've no idea what the triggers are. I got the aura and I took 2 Feminax the period tablets. They really took the edge off the headache think it's the caffeine in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭flutered

i used to suffer horribly, i got a locum gp who solved my problem, it seems the austio arthrisis in my neck was the cause of my headaches, another pain relif tablet (lyrica)was added to the two i was on, now no headaches, it feels about to burst now and again, i then need to sit down for a half an hour after which i am ok, i have met and thanked the the gp several times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I used to get awful migraines, some of them would last a few days. I stopped eating meat about 3 and a half years ago, it was something I'd been thinking about for years. Anyway, one day I was chatting with a friend about her migraines and I realised that I hadn't had 1 for about a year and I still haven't had one. It was just chance. I know it sounds odd and it might be a bit extreme for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Zil2011

maidie wrote: »
    Hi All,

I too suffer from 'hormonal migraines'. Get migraine every month along with my monthly cycle, sometimes I get them twice a month, when I'm ovulating and when my period arrives. My GP has prescribed frovex for me, which is quite costly, €11 each tablet. I got some tablets while in USA called Excedrin, they work brilliantly for me at a fraction of the price of Frovex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Update on my last post (top of page)

I managed to see a consultant in the migraine clinic and I've been prescribed propranolol. Anyone else taking this? I've been taking it for just over a month now. Still ont up to the full 80mg a day yet though as you have to increase gradually. Currently on 60mg a day.
    I seem to be suffering with some sort of constant (persistent) visual disturbances which they believe to be migraine related.
    They seem slightly reduced since staring the meds but I think that may just be because I have become less stressed since seeing a doctor.
    Also, they are sending me for an MRI just incase. Although its been a month and I've not heard anything yet about the appointment for the MRI, they said it was only a 3 week wait.

Ive had these disturbances 24/7 for the last 3 and a half months now so I think its just something I'm going to have to live with, but if the propranolol could possibly stop me having any more migraines that might worsen the persistent aura, that would be great!

So any success stories? Or failures?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Update on my last post (top of page)

I managed to see a consultant in the migraine clinic and I've been prescribed propranolol. Anyone else taking this? I've been taking it for just over a month now. Still ont up to the full 80mg a day yet though as you have to increase gradually. Currently on 60mg a day.
    I seem to be suffering with some sort of constant (persistent) visual disturbances which they believe to be migraine related.
    They seem slightly reduced since staring the meds but I think that may just be because I have become less stressed since seeing a doctor.
    Also, they are sending me for an MRI just incase. Although its been a month and I've not heard anything yet about the appointment for the MRI, they said it was only a 3 week wait.

Ive had these disturbances 24/7 for the last 3 and a half months now so I think its just something I'm going to have to live with, but if the propranolol could possibly stop me having any more migraines that might worsen the persistent aura, that would be great!

So any success stories? Or failures?!

I've had similar but no where near the frequency of yours.

I first had an aura in 2010 at the age of 40. At first I thought it was stray light in my glasses! It didn't take much to figure out that it was an aura. I have to say, it kinda freaked me out. It was followed by a dull headache that lasted about a day.

Fast forward 3 years to last Sunday and while studying some wiring diagrams I noticed a flicker to my left. Then the zig-zag lines became more apparent and slowly drifted to the left and then disappeared after about 15/20 mins. I lay down for an hour and was left with a vague and very mild headache over my left eye that has gradually become less and less.

These are the only two instances of aura that I have experienced. Is this something that others have experienced? Just two instances three years apart?

I've considered going to my GP but it'd be more out of being freaked rather than malaise.

Any comments/feedback appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

@Angeline
    Hiya, I have just brought my 12 year old daughter home from hospital 3 days after she was admitted with a severe cluster migraine, 4 day duration, while this was not her 1st severe migraine, it was her 1st cluster, shes been suffering migraines simce she was 7... She has bee prescribed nasal Zomig and Zofran but they are not liscenced here and need to be brought from uk @200 euro a go??? Am interested to know where did you get your meds from?? And does anyone have any experience of this??
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

crosstownk wrote: »
    I've had similar but no where near the frequency of yours.

I first had an aura in 2010 at the age of 40. At first I thought it was stray light in my glasses! It didn't take much to figure out that it was an aura. I have to say, it kinda freaked me out. It was followed by a dull headache that lasted about a day.

Fast forward 3 years to last Sunday and while studying some wiring diagrams I noticed a flicker to my left. Then the zig-zag lines became more apparent and slowly drifted to the left and then disappeared after about 15/20 mins. I lay down for an hour and was left with a vague and very mild headache over my left eye that has gradually become less and less.

These are the only two instances of aura that I have experienced. Is this something that others have experienced? Just two instances three years apart?

I've considered going to my GP but it'd be more out of being freaked rather than malaise.

Any comments/feedback appreciated.

I had my first aura migraine when I was 17. I just had that one up until last year. Then last year I had 3. This year so far only 1.
    I think its perfectly possible that you only get them every now and again.

People talk a lot about triggers and whilst I agree that for the majority of people, there is a trigger and if they find out what it is they can stop/reduce their headaches, I dont think it works that way for everyone.

I mean theres nothing I only eat/drink/smell/do once every 4 months. But thats how often I have been getting them since last year. Infact, it usually 4 months to the day. Maybe its a hormonal thing?!

Aura migraines should always be checked out by a professional because of the presence of an aura. They just need to make sure it isnt anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Hi,

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I've a tip that may help someone ...

I've identified that certain types of tooth pastes give me severe headaches. When I swap brands the issue goes away completely.

E.g Total Colgate. Sone ingredient in that causes me severe pain in my brain. Consider swapping tooth pastes to rule out this as a trigger.

Googled and found this ...

https://maybeez.es/en/blogs/news/seis-ingredientes-de-tu-pasta-dental-que-deberias-evitar

Thanks

Advertisement