Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Memories From A Gig Of All Time

Options
  • 28-05-2011 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

ill get the ball rolling,my best mate lost his runners on the friday of an oxegen gig,pretty funny for the whole weekend but not when we got the bus back to town on the sunday night and tried to walk around dame street lookin for a taxi home!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Sitting backstage at Sonisphere last year waiting to interview someone when Gary Numan walks right up to me and goes

"Hi, I'm Gary Numan, very pleased to meet you!"

To be perfectly honest, he wasn't the one I was interviewing, but I felt he had such a positive greeting I couldn't disappoint him.....

Also met Corey Taylor in a similar situation, involving a blocked toilet and a lengthy conversation about hygiene, but that's a different matter altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Oxegen 2007 Sold out (the year of the muckfest) - had no ticket so decided to walk from Sallins into Naas to get the free bus and see if I could get one off the scalpers...

Decided to stick a "Looking for Oxegen Ticket" sign on my back on the off chance that a car might pull over while I was walking and sell me a ticket...

A car did indeed pull over, a blue 4x4 infact, covered in muck and an orange siren on top. I thought "**** these guys are from Oxegen and they're thinking I'm scalping tickets!" An Oxegen official with an English accent steps out:

Oxegen man: Alright geeza, you looking for a ticket then?
    Me: Em, Yes
    Oxegen man: 'Ere ya go mate
    Me: Eh, Nice one!

Dangling infront of my face was a coloured wristband with STAFF - ACCESS ALL AREAS written on it. Launched myself down to the garage to buy a disposable camera, jumped on the bus and on to Oxegen.

Needless to say, every single picture on that ****ty camera had pictures with me and various acts playing oxegen that year, so sweet walking around back stage and the VIP area all weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

^^

That will be hard to beat

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Any chance we could see some of those pictures?

D1976 wrote: »
    Any chance we could see some of those pictures?

Will get my hands on a scanner during the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ap1986

Oxegen 2007 Sold out (the year of the muckfest) - had no ticket so decided to walk from Sallins into Naas to get the free bus and see if I could get one off the scalpers...

Decided to stick a "Looking for Oxegen Ticket" sign on my back on the off chance that a car might pull over while I was walking and sell me a ticket...

A car did indeed pull over, a blue 4x4 infact, covered in muck and an orange siren on top. I thought "**** these guys are from Oxegen and they're thinking I'm scalping tickets!" An Oxegen official with an English accent steps out:

Oxegen man: Alright geeza, you looking for a ticket then?
    Me: Em, Yes
    Oxegen man: 'Ere ya go mate
    Me: Eh, Nice one!

Dangling infront of my face was a coloured wristband with STAFF - ACCESS ALL AREAS written on it. Launched myself down to the garage to buy a disposable camera, jumped on the bus and on to Oxegen.

Needless to say, every single picture on that ****ty camera had pictures with me and various acts playing oxegen that year, so sweet walking around back stage and the VIP area all weekend
    what a champ....the luck o the irish or wat!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Blur comeback gigs. Hyde park. 27 degrees both days. Me and her chillin on the grass sippin beers and listening to my fave band of all time. Also knowing it was lashing rain in dublin kinda capped it off. :)

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Actually good call.. had a hard time thinking on this one but Blur at Glastonbury should have been a no brainer. If you haven't seen the footage of Tender here it is:

When the song stops 3/4s in and a massive field of people start chanting "come on come on come" at an obviously moved Damon Albarn it doesn't get much better.

Pushed for more I'd say Leonard Cohen in the same field the previous year... Brian Wilson in 2005 or Bowie in 2000. That Blur come out on top of that list is a testament to that moment. Glastonbury just seems to capture those iconic performances more than anywhere else I've been.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

oxegen 07 for me.

I had no interest in going, but to see biffy clyro. Thing was well sold out anyway and I was not going to pay hundreds of euro for a saturday ticket..

But I went to see them in Marlay park (supporting the who) the previous week. Myself and my buddy spotted their tour manager walking around at one point.

So we went over for a chat as we usually do. We were asking him if they were hanging around for the few days between the 2 gigs or if they were heading home or what. He asked us if we were going to oxegen and we explained how sold out it was.

He gave us his email address and said to drop him an email, he'd sort us out. So we emailed him anyway and we didn't hear back. But I got an email alright at about midnight on the friday (saturday morning I guess) saying there was Crasp +1 on their guest list.

So we said right, fill the tank and drive all the way up the country at 8am the next day :D

turned out to be a good day, very enjoyable. only cost us €30 each on petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Not so much about the gig itself (which was AWESOME) but I was one of the lucky ones to be able to buy tickets to the Led Zeppelin reunion in the O2 in London a couple of years ago. Checked my email one morning about 5AM in work. Saw that I had won the lottery to be able to buy tickets. Freaked out and bought the tickets straight away. Phoned my bro (Who was also in work at that ungodly hour. Phone answered. I screamed down the phone "WE GOT MOTHERF*CKIN LED ZEPPELIN TICKETS.............. Oh ****, sorry mam, I meant to phone the bro. Go back to sleep" She was NOT amused. Then, day before the concert I realised I'd lost my Credit Card. Needed to collect the ticket. I'd left it in a shop and realised at 5:50. Tore down to the shop on me bike. Fell in the shop door in a sweaty heap at 2 mins to six. Thankfully the guy recognised me "Oh, hey, ya left your card here." I tell ya, my username is right. I am some stupid muppet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Not so much about the gig itself (which was AWESOME) but I was one of the lucky ones to be able to buy tickets to the Led Zeppelin reunion in the O2 in London a couple of years ago. Checked my email one morning about 5AM in work. Saw that I had won the lottery to be able to buy tickets. Freaked out and bought the tickets straight away. Phoned my bro (Who was also in work at that ungodly hour. Phone answered. I screamed down the phone "WE GOT MOTHERF*CKIN LED ZEPPELIN TICKETS.............. Oh ****, sorry mam, I meant to phone the bro. Go back to sleep" She was NOT amused. Then, day before the concert I realised I'd lost my Credit Card. Needed to collect the ticket. I'd left it in a shop and realised at 5:50. Tore down to the shop on me bike. Fell in the shop door in a sweaty heap at 2 mins to six. Thankfully the guy recognised me "Oh, hey, ya left your card here." I tell ya, my username is right. I am some stupid muppet!

I was there as well.:cool:

Toast wrote: »
    Actually good call.. had a hard time thinking on this one but Blur at Glastonbury should have been a no brainer. If you haven't seen the footage of Tender here it is:

When the song stops 3/4s in and a massive field of people start chanting "come on come on come" at an obviously moved Damon Albarn it doesn't get much better.

Pushed for more I'd say Leonard Cohen in the same field the previous year... Brian Wilson in 2005 or Bowie in 2000. That Blur come out on top of that list is a testament to that moment. Glastonbury just seems to capture those iconic performances more than anywhere else I've been.

Amazing vid Toast, would love to head to Glasto. My dad dropped over a load of my VHS tapes the other day and a video player as he was clearing out the house. Came across a recording of the Glasto 97, had blur, stereophonics, OCS and loads more.

Anyone know how I could get them from tape to pc?

Amazing vid Toast, would love to head to Glasto. My dad dropped over a load of my VHS tapes the other day and a video player as he was clearing out the house. Came across a recording of the Glasto 97, had blur, stereophonics, OCS and loads more.

Anyone know how I could get them from tape to pc?
    http://www.video-2-pc.co.uk/?gclid=CPeh-bKCjqkCFcod4QodL1YAkg

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Blur at Oxegen, a band I had wanted to see for years playing songs from my childhood.

Topped it off by getting the shift, and she wasn't a munter either!

blackdog2 wrote: »
    Blur at Oxegen, a band I had wanted to see for years playing songs from my childhood.

Topped it off by getting the shift, and she wasn't a munter either!
    ah the beer goggles were on i bet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Yup, and what with the music she only had the very basic required amount of my attention! Had there not been an awesome show going on in front of me there may well already be a litter of blackpup2s running around!

Advertisement