Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.220 Swift Opinions???

Options
  • 28-05-2011 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Recently bought a.220 swift! love it so far, would love to hear peoples opinions and experience with the swift Ps dont want to hear about the price of ammo its extorsion!
    Cheers MKC1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

MKC1 wrote: »
    Recently bought a.220 swift! love it so far, would love to hear peoples opinions and experience with the swift Ps dont want to hear about the price of ammo its extorsion!
    Cheers MKC1

First time I fired a swift was back in '99. It was a remington Varmint barrel with Timney trigger.

Saw the first rabbit pop at 300 yards with it.

It's biggest down fall was copper fouling. If not scrubbed well copper built up and also suffered wind drift with 50 grain rounds badly.

One of the louder firearms, there were no moderators available here back then; nor an obvious way to get one.

Having said that a .222-250 beat it every time in competition, Also a Remington for the record.

They would still be popular had licencing not changed (for the better)

Mate of mine had a light barrel one, 3 shots and zero was gone from heat :eek::eek:

The .223 firmly took over it's market share here, followed by the .17hmr or vise versa

So overall, good but outdated, gone the way of the .17 Rem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Pisses all over .223 for performance.

Had a few in my time :cool:

.204 Ruger is as good performance wise without any of the Swifts limited drawbacks ;)

It'll be around a long time as it does what it's supposed to :cool:

Sopke to Paul in Drangan last year and he told me he noticed a resurgance in Swift sales and lads were getting rid of 223's they'd bought and were returning to the Swift :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

So overall, good but outdated, gone the way of the .17 Rem
    I don't think they're so much outdated as just too expensive to run without handloading being available. With luck, handloading will come in here in a year or so; I'd be surprised if you don't see more .220 swifts come in here after that. I know Jaycee had one that he swore by (and swore at over ammo prices) - he eventually changed to a .223 over ammo costs, but as nice as that .223 is (and it has a lovely trigger thanks to a lot of work by him), he still prefers the .220 for accuracy.

Sparks wrote: »
    I don't think they're so much outdated as just too expensive to run without handloading being available. With luck, handloading will come in here in a year or so; I'd be surprised if you don't see more .220 swifts come in here after that. I know Jaycee had one that he swore by (and swore at over ammo prices) - he eventually changed to a .223 over ammo costs, but as nice as that .223 is (and it has a lovely trigger thanks to a lot of work by him), he still prefers the .220 for accuracy.

The .220 is no more accurate than the .223 in my experience of both.
    I have almost 3 rounds through the one hole @100 with a .223 and I never saw a swift beat that in competition, in fact if it was windy a 75 grain .223 had the edge.

The .22-250 was the most accurate rifle I ever came across out to 300, still unbroken record at MNSCI AFAIK

I look forward to reloading as I would like to load my own .223's and .308's and 40cals

A nice hobby for those dark winter evenings.

Although I have been hearing about reloading for the general public for so long now I'll believe it when I see it (or load it)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

Great round using a ruger mk2 and 40 grain and they are a real track driver, last season i fired approx 200 rounds at foxes with five or six misses 10 boxes @27 stg a box:o but sure it was great crack:D!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 MKC1

paddy2008 wrote: »
    Great round using a ruger mk2 and 40 grain and they are a real track driver, last season i fired approx 200 rounds at foxes with five or six misses 10 boxes @27 stg a box:o but sure it was great crack:D!

Cheers lads for the replies, much apprieciated!
    Paddy I have a ruger mark 2. super gun! Still getting used to it! Its some difference from a .22 magnum to a swift!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

had one for years ,a remington 700 varmint heavy barrel ,deadly accurate ,"if you could see it you could hit it ":D,,traded it for a .223 due to the cost of ammo .....

ian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Again ammo cost is the main issue...

Thats the reason most people switched from 220 swift and the hornet to the 223... if reloading was in the possibilities of reloading for any caliber would see a much bigger variance in caliber selection... for me I'd like the 6mmPPC :D

Some detail on the swift:

Link

Again ammo cost is the main issue...

Thats the reason most people switched from 220 swift and the hornet to the 223...........

& to the .204 Ruger :p

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

think its an excellent calibre
    brother-in -law culls dozens of deer every year
    with one . a ruger mk 1 i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

:eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭DJandDeid

You wouldn't happen to have a .204 Ruger?!!!!!!! :D

DJandDeid wrote: »
    You wouldn't happen to have a .204 Ruger?!!!!!!! :D

I would and won't part with it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

I would and won't shoot with it :cool:

Ha fixed that statement for ya bunny! :P :D

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

badshot wrote: »
    think its an excellent calibre
    brother-in -law culls dozens of deer every year
    with one . a ruger mk 1 i think.

should point out he lives in New Zealand

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MKC1

Again lads cheers for the replies!
    Bunny Shooter seeing as you had both why is the .204 better than the swift? Apart from the cost of ammo!

MKC1 wrote: »
    ..........Bunny Shooter seeing as you had both why is the .204 better than the swift? Apart from the cost of ammo!

.204 doesn't 'copper up' as fast
    .204 bucks wind better especially past 150 yards
    .204 has less recoil

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

The .220 is no more accurate than the .223 in my experience of both.
    I have almost 3 rounds through the one hole @100 with a .223 and I never saw a swift beat that in competition, in fact if it was windy a 75 grain .223 had the edge.

The .22-250 was the most accurate rifle I ever came across out to 300, still unbroken record at MNSCI AFAIK

I look forward to reloading as I would like to load my own .223's and .308's and 40cals

A nice hobby for those dark winter evenings.

Although I have been hearing about reloading for the general public for so long now I'll believe it when I see it (or load it)
    The .220 is no more accurate than the .223 in your experience of both?
    are you serious?:eek: my brother has a new 223 and ive a swift.he can explain the difference.100 yards is nothing like.try 200 yrs plus on a 1inch taget against the king of the 22's.. like are you using a acog scope? the 223 is a very good round but its nearly half the power and the case is half the size..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

4200fps wrote: »
    are you serious?:eek: my brother has a new 223 and ive a swift.he can explain the difference.100 yards is nothing like.try 200 yrs plus on a 1inch taget against the king of the 22's.. like are you using a acog scope? the 223 is a very good round but its nearly half the power and the case is half the size..

...and when you finally get to reload, filling that case up with almost twice the amount of propellant used to reload a .223 at the prices that the stuff actually costs will get you begging for the .223 again.

Loading the .220 Swift to equal the velocities claimed on the box will give you a very short barrel life, even these days with modern steels.

The .204 Ruger beats it hands down in every department, and uses around half the amount of propellant to do it.

tac

First swift I fired was in around 1999.
    I bought a .223 in 2006, after 5 years and ~ 1200 rounds I am fairly familiar with it.

I did notice You bought your swift two months ago.
    I enjoy plinking rabbit heads in excess of 400 yards, and I have shot foxes with it at various ranges

The Swift was like A Delorian
    Both around the same age, both peaked mid 90's and fading off the radar these days.

half the young lads on this site won't remember either ;-)

• Advertisement

Good news for swift fans
    Top brand Hornady 50 grain v max moly balistics are now 35euro a box in Ballymahon co longford and 33euro in drumshambo co leitrim..cheap shooting:D

Uh, the .220 Swift was introduced by Winchester in 1935.

My .220 Swift Winchester Model 70 was made in 1952.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Uh, the .220 Swift was introduced by Winchester in 1935.

My .220 Swift Winchester Model 70 was made in 1952.

tac

Around here Mr Foley ;-)
    Not in the rest of the world.

First swift I fired was in around 1999.
    I bought a .223 in 2006, after 5 years and ~ 1200 rounds I am fairly familiar with it.

I did notice You bought your swift two months ago.
    I enjoy plinking rabbit heads in excess of 400 yards, and I have shot foxes with it at various ranges

The Swift was like A Delorian
    Both around the same age, both peaked mid 90's and fading off the radar these days.

half the young lads on this site won't remember either ;-)

u got lots of experience with ur rifle..just getting the time to use it and get a place that no1 will be reporting me for the noise is another thing...im very happy with the swift i must say..what type of scope have you on yours?

u got lots of experience with ur rifle..just getting the time to use it and get a place that no1 will be reporting me for the noise is another thing...im very happy with the swift i must say..what type of scope have you on yours?
    Nightforce 8-32x56 NXS NPR-2 Ret

Mr Foley, eh?

A long time since I've been called that....

I guess you are trying to tell me that the .220 Swift is a recent but now-fading newcomer to the RoI?

Shame that, it's a great round if you, uh, can use the cases again...... As P.O.Ackley noted - 'Velocity has a quality all of its own'.

My second best ever shot after a 22-250 was with my Winchester, but it probably wouldn't do it now - both of us are too old and worn out. But we are both full of memories that we've given each other over the years.

tac

'Don't cry for what you've lost, smile for what you've had.'

...and when you finally get to reload, filling that case up with almost twice the amount of propellant used to reload a .223 at the prices that the stuff actually costs will get you begging for the .223 again.

Loading the .220 Swift to equal the velocities claimed on the box will give you a very short barrel life, even these days with modern steels.

The .204 Ruger beats it hands down in every department, and uses around half the amount of propellant to do it.

tac

the .204 is inbetween the 223 and swift in performance..well the swift will have barrel wear if you use a 40 grain,i use 50 grain moly coated that sorts that out,moly is a dry lube. I do belive the 204 is a realy good accurate round. doubt theres much in the difference..swift is king of 22's:D for the known reasons..brute force and accuracy;)

Nightforce 8-32x56 NXS NPR-2 Ret

now thats what i call a scope..id realy would love to look through 1 they are soposed to be brilliant.american,used by law envorcement am i right? ive a swarovski 6-24x50

now thats what i call a scope..id realy would love to look through 1 they are soposed to be brilliant.american,used by law envorcement am i right? ive a swarovski 6-24x50

Japanese, assembled in US.
    I will some day buy a NF 12-42x56 when funds allow; for long range varminting; but have a Rail system for swaping scopes easily for night work back to a 5.5-22x56 that I have on my stalking rifle

@ Mr Foley, I call you that as there are too many Tac Derivatives around here :D

I remember the first guy I knew to get a swift, within a year everyone wanted one.
    They peaked ~2005 in popularity, just like the 6.5x55 was one of the most common deer calibres the same year.

There is Fashion in the shooting world too.
    .223 has been fashionable a long time too.

Here's the last bit of foxing I did with her
    177727.jpg

• Advertisement

Mr Foley, eh?

A long time since I've been called that....

I guess you are trying to tell me that the .220 Swift is a recent but now-fading newcomer to the RoI?

Shame that, it's a great round if you, uh, can use the cases again...... As P.O.Ackley noted - 'Velocity has a quality all of its own'.

My second best ever shot after a 22-250 was with my Winchester, but it probably wouldn't do it now - both of us are too old and worn out. But we are both full of memories that we've given each other over the years.

tac

'Don't cry for what you've lost, smile for what you've had.'

A guy i work with use'd to use the cases again on swift for years and he claims they are much more powerful as all rounds are just 80% filled by manufacure but hey now has a 308 and hes doing the same..any round you refill if you know what your at is powerfuller

Advertisement