Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The possibility of reopening Longford Harbour

Options
  • 28-05-2011 4:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭

LCRL could provide funding for reopening of Longford Harbour
    Jan 20 2011

There are hopes that Longford Community Resources could be privitol in providing the necessary funds to progress the reopening Longford Harbour.

Last October, the Royal Canal was opened at Clondra bringing the waterway from Dublin through to the Shannon.

A feasibility study is to be carried out this year by Waterways Ireland to assess the viability of connecting the canal at Killashee.

Independent Councillor and County Mayor Paul Connell says that the plans could become a flagship project for Longford Town, the required funds could be drawn down from the Rural Development programme through LCRL.

He suggests that such a project would give the town a much needed tourism boost and prevent unused the grant aid from being given back.

harbour_1.jpg
    Will we ever see the likes again?

I personally would love to see the harbour reopened, I think it would be a terrific visual feature for the town to have back . . and now the Royal Canal is up & running there's every chance that this should get the go ahead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Fantastic idea. I had been wondering myself over the last few years if it would ever happen. Unfortunately, for financial and funding reasons, I can't seeing it happening, not in the next 5-8 years anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Deregos

Yes . .The old finances ain't what they used to be for sure, however if your to believe this piece from the Leader, then a good chunk of the money required is already available.

Proposal to develop Town harbour

Published on Monday 24 January 2011 18:21

In the week that the Town Council received the go-ahead to proceed with a feasibility study into linking the town with a spur from the Royal Canal, one councillor put forward the proposal of redeveloping and re-opening the old harbour area in Longford.
    Cllr Paul Connell, who proposed the idea at the recent Town Council meeting, said Longford Community Resources Ltd should be approached with a view to making it one of the 'flagship' projects as part of its allocation to be spent by 2013.
    Speaking at the recent Town Council meeting, Cllr Connell, said, "We (Town Council) should start ourselves and as a project that we would open the harbour here in Longford as a flagship project backed by Longford Community Resources."
    He said project must be good for the whole county, and with just three flagship projects agreed for the entire country, it would represent an opportunity to move the canal project further.
    Cllr Connell said LCRL has e13m to spend by 2013 and said he couldn't see how or where the money could be spent.
    "If we don't soon do something like that, we will be handing back in excess of half of the monies that we were granted, because for the simple reason some of it will have to be match-funded.
    "If we started to open the (old) harbour here, we could use all of the works that we are doing here as matching funding, as I understand it."
    He said that once the project was underway, the council would be in a greater position to ask for the spur to be brought from Clondra to Longford.
    Town Clerk Dan Rooney told councillors that plans for a feasibility study are progressing, following a meeting with the department.
    "Cllr Connell, Mayor Warnock and myself met with the Minister early in the year and he (Pat Carey) has now given a commitment that Waterways Ireland will carry out that feasibility study this year," said Mr Rooney.
    Cllr Mae Sexton welcomed the news, saying it was very important to get the spur to Longford.
    "I think it would be very, very important for the growth of Longford. With any town that has river or water going through it, it's very clear that it does give them that extra boost. Not just with people coming off the boats, but people tend to be drawn to the water in good weather. If you go to Carrick-on-Shannon on any summer's evening, you can see the crowds there."

Here's the Facebook page for the Longford canal

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

I've often wondered whether this would actually happen. Glad to see that it's being seriously considered, although - as has been said - funding could delay it for quite a long time.

Imagine if just a fraction of the summer traffic on the Shannon wandered onto the canal and into Longford... it would be an excellent shot in the arm for the local economy.

Now all they need is something that would make the people on those boats head in this direction...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ArdRi79

My mates Da ran booze cruises on barges... the town has some good boozers. Great boozers when theres a match on. That could be an idea... paint a barge up in man u colours and do a booze cruise...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭UrbanMonkey

This has to happen!

It would be class for the town!:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Mighty!!! I just bought a canoe.......:D
    Seriously though. Bringing tourism right into the heart of Longford. The first pub or restaurant to open on the square will make a killing. Plus cruisers passing right by Backstage Theatre!!! Stick up a bill board and a jetty and get local cabaret on and we have a genuine tourist infrastructure in the town.
    To use a politicians cliche.. ITS A NO BRAINER......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Deregos

To use a politicians cliche.. ITS A NO BRAINER......

Tiz a no brainer alright but I wonder who was the brainless politician back in the day who first suggested filling it in. . .maybe the same one who said it was a good idea to get gondoliers for the camlin "but who was gonna feed them"? :)

Then your right too regarding the business's directly surrounding the harbour, these should be the ones to benefit most from its restoration but the one 'visage' I've got an issue with is that town council & centra building that blocks the view of any boats or activities that might happen from the rest of the town, surely this should really be knocked and replaced with a well laid out & designed 'park for the people' to relax a little . .something that would give a heart back to the town . .A little bit of greenery & some benches . .If you were to pull up in a boat it would be good to see something welcoming . .Not the ugly backside of a large bland building.:o

DSCF0972%281%29.jpg
    Sorry . .I couldn't find a pick of the rear. . . .Or am I?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

The harbour reopened would draw them after a few pints .

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bovis

Show your support to open the Royal Canal Longford branch (and harbour). Text Yes to 087 068 26 05.

See http://www.shannonside.ie/news-details.php?nid=9455

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭davehey79

Just saw this update on their Facebook page...looks like its actually gonna happen

Great Meeting tonight in John Brownes , the outcome is thats the Money is in place and the work will begin in Spring and the reopening is near ..Longford will have a Harbor and a link to Dublin and the Shannon .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

davehey79 wrote: »
    Just saw this update on their Facebook page...looks like its actually gonna happen

Great Meeting tonight in John Brownes , the outcome is thats the Money is in place and the work will begin in Spring and the reopening is near ..Longford will have a Harbor and a link to Dublin and the Shannon .....

While i'm in no way against the Harbour or the work that has being done on it...for now, i think its money down the drain. It's a shame that money cannot be pumped into improving the town/county as a whole. What sad sight the white elephant town centre still remains and the dreadful Athlone/Strokestown roads with more white elephants on them - ie empty units falling into dereliction and unused 'zoned' sites now all wasteland. What awful entrances both are into a town and not forgetting all the ghost estates we still harbour, Carriglass, army barracks too..
    While the canal project is a good news, its sad that finances and initiatives aren't put into projects that would serve a real purpose and get the county back on it's feet..or even aim to improve somewhat the visual appearance of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Where excatly are they gonna put this harbour?

somuj wrote: »
    Where excatly are they gonna put this harbour?

Back in its original location, i presume??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Can someone pinpoint me the location on Google Maps or something? I'm really confused as to where it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Can someone pinpoint me the location on Google Maps or something? I'm really confused as to where it is.

The basin WAS where the old swimming pool and its car park are now. Im curious as to how (or where)n they are going to fit it in now with the ugly high rise flats and the road way at the rear of the pool where the canal used to flow in. Maybe a bridge or some sort of aquaduct ...

The basin WAS where the old swimming pool and its car park are now. Im curious as to how (or where)n they are going to fit it in now with the ugly high rise flats and the road way at the rear of the pool where the canal used to flow in. Maybe a bridge or some sort of aquaduct ...

Wondering the same myself - as doesnt the railway now block the canal coming any further??

I'd guess that access will be along the side of the harbour, alongside the old harbourmaster's house.
    MDFM wrote: »
    Wondering the same myself - as doesnt the railway now block the canal coming any further??

Before it was filled in, the railway crossed the canal via a swing bridge. That's since been replaced by a rigid bridge. I can't imagine Irish Rail being happy about having to install a swing bridge there now, so I'd imagine the easiest way of getting around the problem would be to create a new lock so the boats could fit under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sammy007

i cant see this happening, maybe im just a pessimist but nothing ever materialises in longford, so many positive news headlines over the last few years and nothing has come of them, Longford is the lost county of ireland the IDA, enterprise ireland, and the tourism boards dont acknowledge it as a place that people and business exist, if you asked them they would probably say - Longford where is that, is it near Athlone or Carrick on Shannon, no sorry never heard of it, - your to many policital leaders down there are to busy eating prawn sambos in the longford arms hotel and do not have a voice outside there little pointless meetings they have and get paid nice expenses for attending, and are as much use as a sign in dublin pointing to longford, im afraid in the good times longford got bread crumbs and now you are left to your own devices. sorry for killing the mood, it would be ideal and great to see this happening in longford and in place for next years the gathering, but dont see it happening any time soon as some will object that money should be used otherwise in todays economic climate and other will point out rightly so that whats the point putting it behind centra blocking it from the town, anyway wish you all well in longford town, hope u beat waterford in a few weeks time and go up, all the best guys.

I doubt it will be possible to put it back in the same location actually I'm positive it cant be put in its original location. It will be obstructing peoples homes and businesses and road ways and pretty much everything on the town side of the railway. Cant see anybody getting planning permission for that. They will probably have to build it the slashers side of the railway.

somuj wrote: »
    I doubt it will be possible to put it back in the same location actually I'm positive it cant be put in its original location. It will be obstructing peoples homes and businesses and road ways and pretty much everything on the town side of the railway. Cant see anybody getting planning permission for that. They will probably have to build it the slashers side of the railway.

It is possible alright. It would mean access to the apartment blocks from the square would be pedestrian only, with road access from the back (via SuperValu). The swimming pool would be demolished, as would the terraced bungalows behind it, which I understand have already had CPOs placed on them by the council.

• Advertisement

So it would be " ye that bought homes in good faith, now ye have to drive all the way round by the industrial estate to park your cars, either that or leave them on the street and get a yearly parking pass and leave your vehicle on the street or what ever you call them and walk round the harbour that now is just outside your high-rise to get home. plus the council is going to demolish a load of houses that people live in and parking spots that create revenue and block off the most direct route to the industrial eastate that is home to some high rate payers just for the sake of putting a lagoon back where it used to be. Not a chance. Might get some local planning permission but when it goes to an bord pleanala not a chance. I can hear the well founded objections already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Any update on this proposal cycled the canal spur recently and it is a pity to see the old canal without water

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bovis

The plans are stalled due to ecological reasons, planning and lack of funds. Apparently a rare snail breed has taken up residence in parts. Would be great to see some progress on this.
    dingding wrote: »
    Any update on this proposal cycled the canal spur recently and it is a pity to see the old canal without water

Advertisement