Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meatballs - breadcrumbs on outside?

Options
  • 28-05-2011 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Making meatballs this weekend and always follow a tried and true Jamie Oliver recipe (from Ministry of Food). However, during the week, I watched a food show where after rolling up the balls, the host dumped them into more breadcrumbs (to go with the ones he'd mixed up inside) to give the meatball a crunchy skin.

I use crackers for my filler, so
    a) would this work just as well with crackers? Would they be as tasty as breadcrumbs on the outside?
    b) he baked his balls (ouch!), but the Jamie recipe calls for frying - I suspect that any frying would burn the outside crackers (or breadcrumbs) long before the meat was completely cooked?

Anyone do this or similar and have tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

No tips. I think cracker crumbs might over-bake if baked.

However the marvellous thing about meatballs is they're so small, you don't have to commit the entire dish to one methodology! Roll some of them in cracker crumbs. Leave some of them the way you would. You can also try panko breadcrumbs (you can buy them in packs) and even cooked rice. If you were to steam some of them you could try raw rice... (I have a recollection of a recipe called 'pearl balls' which is pork meatballs rolled in glutinous rice and steamed, then served with plum sauce...)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

(I have a recollection of a recipe called 'pearl balls' which is pork meatballs rolled in glutinous rice and steamed, then served with plum sauce...)

Wow!!!
    Gotta try that!!

Advertisement