Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From cancer to ironman.

• 28-05-2011 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Well I was diagnosed with testicular cancer and I had the tumour and the testicle removed yesterday. It was in my mind before this that I wanted to do an ironman and now that it has happened, I will stop at nothing until I have beaten this bastard of a disease and I complete the Florida Ironman 2012.

we don't know yet how much chemo I will need which stops me from working out a full timetable but I will as soon as I can. going through the highs and lows at the moment (morphine helps the highs), looking forward to getting the biopsy and bloods back so I know what the next few months of my life will be like.

In the last year I have comepleted 3 marathons and various other a races. time to move up and take on the big challenge.

Will post my training here, would appreciate your support.

from my hospital bed!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Love your attitude, let positivity and goals be your best friend and I really hope you achieve your gaol and most importantly kick your illness's ass. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Wow! Best of luck with this!
    Im no Doctor but I imagine its great that you have set yourself this target so that your recovery will be as rapid as possible! I know the Mayo footballer Ronan McGarrity had the same battle in 2007.
    Best of luck with everything and Ill be keeping an interested eye on the progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

+1 to the above. Wow.

The very best of luck with it. If you havent already, have a look at Lance Armstrong's book 'its not about the bike'. Its inspirational stuff.

The very best of luck with the recovery and goal. Will be following with interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Best of luck. Have you done any other triathlons in the past? Great to have a goal like yours to help you through any of the lows you may encounter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

Best of luck to you. You display a cracking attitude to such adversity as well, I sincerely hope that things go well for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Great attitude, i wish you the best of luck.

And Florida ha!
    you planning a holiday as well? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck with your recovery and your training. I will be following your log with great anticipation. Love your fighting attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭wellieboot

OP, i was diagnosed with testicular cancer in 2002 and had the testicle removed. Fortunately didn't have to get chemo but a lot of radiotherapy.

I found that having something to look forward to and a target was a huge help and fortunately all is well now.

Have a beautiful 10 month baby to keep me occupied now also.

I second the poster about reading Lance Armstrong's book.

Keep the chin up. I was, at the time and still am, blesssed with great friends and family and their support was brilliant.

BTW Best diet I was ever on. Went into hospital on a Sunday and came out a couple of days later a stone lighter!!

Good luck in your recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

wellieboot wrote: »
    OP, i was diagnosed with testicular cancer in 2002 and had the testicle removed. Fortunately didn't have to get chemo but a lot of radiotherapy.

I found that having something to look forward to and a target was a huge help and fortunately all

Thanks a million for that,great to hear from others who have gone through the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

All the best with your recovery OP and here's to a speedy and full one at that too.

I read Lance Armstrong's book myself a few months ago and you really feel like you were there with him during it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

You've got phenomenal spirit, OP. I can't even imagine having the determination and drive you're showing. I'd also recommend It's Not About The Bike. You could treat it as a touchstone to show you're definitely capable of fulfilling this goal.

Best of luck,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Concerned2

I imagine your determination & fighting spirit in completing the marathons will stand you in good stead in overcoming such an awful disease. The very best of luck in getting well & in completing that ironman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Best of luck OP
    Will follow this thread with interest
    You've a fight that makes the rest of our travails pale into insignifance
    Your attitude is great: hope conquers all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Inspirational stuff. I wish I had an ounce of your determination.
    Go do it Engrish. We're rooting for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Fair play to you for setting yourself a target and going for it. 17 months to go, so plenty of time. Make sure you make a note of when applications open and apply straight away as they sell out pretty quickly (within minutes). What's your swimming and biking background? Doesn't matter if you can't even swim, I've read of plenty of people getting up to speed in a year.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Wow! So inspiring!
    Best of luck with your recovery, training and the Ironman!

Your positive attitude will get you there!

Will be reading with interest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Great stuff Engrish! Doing this sends out a very *POWERFUL* message to everyone that there can be life after Cancer diagnosis. Well done!

As a fellow Cancer survivor (Prostate Cancer [surgery] May 2008), a critical piece of advice I'd like to give you is to make haste slowly. You can't speed up your recovery, but you CAN delay it. It might not appear so, but, you've plenty of time to build up for the Ironman.

Well done on dealing with your Cancer and going public. So many men leave things until very late. I hope your story will inspire others who may be troubled about possible Cancer issues to deal with them without delay. ...a stitch in time......:)

...btw, if you've nothing better to do on Monday June 7th, C Team - Cancer Survivors are a man (or woman!) short for our relay team in the Cork City Marathon, due to a late injury withdrawal. If you're interested, send me a PM - we'd love to have you on the team.

As for the rest of you guys, if YOU know anyone who might be interested in running with us, please pass on the message - the only way we seem to be able to get team members is by word of mouth, so YOUR help is critical to us. They *MUST* be a Cancer survivor to get on the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Your an inspiration to all and i wish i had half the commitment and b!lls that you have. Best of luck with your training and treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Thanks a million everyone, got a call from the oncologist today, looks like I am cancer free. Will know over the coming weeks, cant excersize for another 5 weeks so for now I just have to wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Nice one great news. Best of luck mate thats really inspiring stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

engrish? wrote: »
    Thanks a million everyone, got a call from the oncologist today, looks like I am cancer free. Will know over the coming weeks, cant excersize for another 5 weeks so for now I just have to wait!

Congratulations. Good luck in the IM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Wow, your determination is really inspirational.
    Best of luck with all your future battles.

PK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Great news
    5 weeks and then beir bua

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done OP and great to see such determination. Enjoy your IM experience i am nearing the end of my IM journey and its one you will take great pride and satisfaction out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Fantastic news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Paddytierney

Well done man you're an inspiration.
    Doing my first ironman next year too so any support or help you need just shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Wow, Great news. Best of luck - with your determination you're well on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

engrish? wrote: »

And plan :D Great stuff.

Advertisement