Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tescos

Options
  • 28-05-2011 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

What's the problem?

Are they afraid of de centralising the town centre? This fear was on Henry St in Dublin when Jervis St opened but it never happened the way they feared.

Are they pulling out completely? Or turning the renaming store into a smaller tesco 24hr?

I dunno seems to be the usual small town mentality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

I think its ridiculous to be honest, objecting against a better tesco, current grocery one leaves alot to be desired. When they opened an extra store in drogheda I think the same thing happened so they left the small store and added the large one anyway.
    Haven't been in Cavan that long but I assume the same objections happened with the retail parks, lidl and aldi.
    Also rumours of them objecting against boots too.
    I'm also guessing there are alot of people around who need the jobs they would offer.
    A bigger Tesco and a Boots would bring a huge boost to the town.
    Theres a leaflet in most of the shops in the town asking people to object against tesco. Saying why should tesco customers park for free and people in town have to pay. Ridiculous argument really current car park at tesco is a pain. Also asks what will happen to the current store asking will it be boarded up, left empty etc... why dont they just ask what tesco plan to do? rather than assume.

Cavan has alot of potential but needs to cut the "save the town" mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 saski B

Don't use the line "i'm guessing there are a lot of people around who need the jobs they would offer" .............
    FACT - for every job a new store creates, 1.5 jobs are lost in the local economy.
    Just look at O'Connors in Nenagh - 70 jobs gone.
    And if you want to see what happens with the abandoned original stores, check out Wexford - the original is an eye sore ....... Tesco don't give a crap

The site tesco have secured is in the Tullymongan Lower part of the town, which is 150m to the back of the existing site. The plans also include direct access to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

saski B wrote: »
    Don't use the line "i'm guessing there are a lot of people around who need the jobs they would offer" .............
    FACT - for every job a new store creates, 1.5 jobs are lost in the local economy.
    Just look at O'Connors in Nenagh - 70 jobs gone.
    And if you want to see what happens with the abandoned original stores, check out Wexford - the original is an eye sore ....... Tesco don't give a crap

Load of bull. The shop already exist. If anything it will be better for the area. The rest of the shops in Cavan need to pick up their socks.

The towns a better super market. As pointed out it's only 150m from the store is moving from. Woodies etc retail park is doing great business and they had to deal with this small mindness before and that was a win win for the town.

I do agree the town does not need another pharmacy but there is nothing like compition to give us, the consumer better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spinzes

there not pulling out are they ? l doubt it , theres the new road from the dublin road at the turn for aldi , which will bring traffic all the way down to st.clares , bypassing the estates , and bringing traffic right into the center , it can only be good for the town meaning more money for , roads , schools etc.... cavan might actually have a type of shopping center , and as for more pharmacies , lol , l'm guess there the main opposition to the new boots . all these bigger stores make it more attractive for other investors to support new businesses opening , the small business have had a monopoly on the town for ages

• Advertisement

County council have deferred the decision last week for a week so decision should be published soon. However they have said although they are worried about the local businesses etc they are worried that if they reject it, Tesco will pull out of the urban area altogether or the county, which would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The council say that without the €2.5m they would receive for the sale of the site they will have increase rates. Also, if they dont sell the site, Tesco will just buy another site further from town, the result being the council does not have the €2.5m, rates are increased damaging businesses in the town and Tesco have their new shop but no longer within walking distance of the town.

IMO the council should sell the site but only grant them planning permission for a shop of an area no bigger than their current shop. As already pointed out, the new store would only be a few hundred metres from the existing one and people would still be able to shop in Tesco and walk to an independent butcher, pharmacy, etc. in town.

The real problem is the planning system in this country, which is short-sighted and open to influence by those with vested interests. I even resent the fact that it is called planning permission, it should be called building permission because there is really no plan involved. The council was too busy raking in development levies during the good times and allowed huge shops and retail parks spring up outside the town without considered the impact on the town. Like so many during the boom, they sacrificed sustainability for short term gains and are now suffering the consequences.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    IMO the council should sell the site but only grant them planning permission for a shop of an area no bigger than their current shop. As already pointed out, the new store would only be a few hundred metres from the existing one and people would still be able to shop in Tesco and walk to an independent butcher, pharmacy, etc. in town.
    But why even have a new store then if its going to be the same size...:confused:

I dont know how long it will take but the town is crying out for investments, they are just no jobs going unless you have a relation etc.

DB10 wrote: »
    But why even have a new store then if its going to be the same size...:confused:
    1. Tesco would have its own car park which they would not have to charge to use, as is the case with Dunnes, Supervalu x 2, Aldi and Lidl
    2. They could have petrol pumps on the new site, opening up a new revenue stream
    3. Lower operating and maintenance costs with a new building
    4. Easier access for deliveries via the new road rather than having big arctics driving into town
    5. Potential to expand should the population of the town increase and demand actually arise (rather than the current situation of them just being greedy)
    The current store is big enough for a town of this size so the council should just tell them they will only get planning permission for a store of the same size, be it on the site on the hill or elsewhere, so they can buy the site or they can make do with what they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 saski B

knock yourself out ............ best of luck, but don't say you weren't warned.
    I'm not from up there, but i've seen how they tear the soul out of small towns down the country - it starts with an application for 50,000 sq ft, then they quietly expand the size, add petrol, pharmacy, etc ........... one by one, town retailers will fade away - starting with the butcher, then the newsagent, bookshop, pharmacy, and on and on ..............

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Chimevault101

Here is the facebook page against the development of Tesco Extra in Cavan..
    Please watch the video on this page about Naas.

http://www.facebook.com/notescoextra

saski B wrote: »
    knock yourself out ............ best of luck, but don't say you weren't warned.
    I'm not from up there, but i've seen how they tear the soul out of small towns down the country - it starts with an application for 50,000 sq ft, then they quietly expand the size, add petrol, pharmacy, etc ........... one by one, town retailers will fade away - starting with the butcher, then the newsagent, bookshop, pharmacy, and on and on ..............

Did not happen with the Woodies retail park, home makers(the opposite), retail parks on the ballinagh road, those infact are failing to compete with the shops in the town.

Looked at the video, you can not draw direct comparison. That store was a mile and a half from the town. In Cavan it will be 150m. Did the locals complain that the existing Tescos would destroy shops located at the end of main street?

Did any one give a rats arse when Game opened less than 100m from Apex games? Or when Easons opened roughly the same distance to the existing largest book store.....nope.

So the Cavan video is the best defence they could come up with. I tell you want. Why does someone on the no side post a link to some actually real hard evidence that it's going to be a bad idea?

A least then this tread will have some real value.

I dont think we should have one big store for every town like Wal-mart in the US. I also think there should be a level playing field & allowing Tesco to build a store the size of an Airport away from the town, with all its departments seems unfair, But everyone else is doing it so why dont we......prosperity ...right!! Celtic tiger ideology in a recession...

Why dont they increase the size of their current store... because its not big enough to sqeeze all your dole money and your minimum wage in one go.........

Hard evidence, here ya go..
    http://www.tescopoly.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=4&Itemid=176

And Lynch`s was the bookstore before Easons took over..

God bless America.

But there won't be one big store.

Aldi, lidl, Dunnes, two super values....!

Was there this up roar when super value opened another store?

Your link is uk based and I'm pretty sure the poor squeeze on suppliers is rampant throughout all of the stores i mentioned above, so why is there this big anti Tesco attitude?

It's not away from the town, its 150m...? Nass was a mile and a half! As I said this has already happened with other stores albeit on a smaller scale but no one complained then.

So I ask you, what's the issue with Tesco?

Have you seen the size of these places??? This isant another store the size of Dunnes or Lidl....If it was i would be completely ok with that..They are not coming here to compete but rather to push everyone else out because they have the money to do so...Building a store of that size in a recession? Where will the existing business come from when they move in?

On average, We will still be the same population in 1 - 2 years with the same ammount of monthly expenditure....fingers crossed!! Jobs will be created, but jobs will have to be lost to make room..theres not enough of us to keep everywhere going.

There will be no need to go anywhere else in town for anything as everything will be there under one roof & No other supermarket giant will want to enter Cavan as the risk will be too high when Tesco have got their market share first..

I think we are making a big mistake .

"No other supermarket giant will want to enter Cavan"
    Every supermarket I can think of is already there.

Have you seen the size of these places???

Tesco will still have to go through the planning process and gain permission before they can build anything. It is up to the planners to restrict the area of the store to an appropriate size. People are entitled to make submissions, objections, etc. as part of the planning process. Those who were protesting should go down this route once they see the plans and they actually know something about the project instead of just making assumptions. All the protests have been an over-reaction and seem to have turned people onto Tescos side in all this. The claims about Jack Keyes were very inappropriate and tasteless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Honky Tonks

I live in Cavan, on the outskirts. My background is a business process engineer for large corporate organisations. I look at entire processes and the effects that one area may have on another.

Be under no illusion, the only reason TESCO are building in Cavan is to make Money, lots of it. This is there main driver, this is every large businesses driver. Everything that stops them making more money is known as a "Road Block", or a "Defect" that needs to be fixed. Regardless of the reasoning to do or not to do, they must remove the road blocks in order to make more money.

Stop for one minute and really think. Where does all this TESCO money go? Answer: To the share holders.

Where do the Shareholder live? Answer: Not in Cavan!

Then ask yourselves where did it used to go? Well it often went to small privately owned shop and stores who's owner lived and worked in the area, who spent their money in the that very same area, so I guess you can say it goes back into the community.

The population of Co Cavan is approx 65,000, we have a lovely high street with almost no Vacant Shop units, thats what we should be building on, there is enough competition to keep prices down already,(Dunnes / Tesco/ Lidl/ Aldi), and for electrical goods we have a number of good competive retailers including an already small Tesco.

The reality folks is if we base the decision on Need, we'd say we didn't NEED a super store Tesco, we already have enough. So why then is it coming to Cavan, we'll I'll leave you make your own mind up.

Last words, in the UK the average spent in Tesco by every man woman and child is 15% of their income, this money is then sucked out of local communities and put in the pockets of the Gambling Shareholders and financial institutions.

It's our money, that we work hard for, don't let Tesco Suck out your communities wealth.

PS: And for those amongst you who want to throw in the "Well it will create Jobs", get real! Super Market base their growth on a process known as "Creative Destruction", this means when something is built it will naturally destroy something it is replacing. Sure Tesco will create some jobs, that's a fact, but it will also destroy jobs too. The nett difference will be negligible, the only real differnece is that it will suck money out of our community and put it the hands of people outside our community (the share holders).

Please Please folks support the NO Campaign, this is not just about having a NEW Shop in town, it's far far bigger, it's about the fabric and wealth of our community.

@Honky Tonks your post is half truth and half scare tactics , a new store will bring more people into the town , thats means more people are gonna go and look around the town while there here , maybe have lunch or a coffee here , get a hair cut , check out the local music shop , go see a movie , etc......surely thats gotta be a good thing , you don't mention any of this , one new tescos is really gonna make such a mess of things ?? l doubt it , and a business wanting to make money is standard , no big deal there .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭shellykbookey

County council have deferred the decision last week for a week so decision should be published soon. However they have said although they are worried about the local businesses etc they are worried that if they reject it, Tesco will pull out of the urban area altogether or the county, which would be a disaster.

Tesco won't pull out of Cavan it would cost them too much and people would just shop elsewhere anyway. They might threaten and try to bully the council but in the end they won’t leave.
    There’s the whole thing with local suppliers for smaller shops too, people are lazy in general (sometimes with good reason, e.g. bringing kids shopping, etc.) so if you can get all your groceries in one spot then eventually that will override any loyalty to smaller shops. Stores like tesco buy in bulk and they don’t buy off small local producers, eventually these people have to join syndicates which the likes of tesco have by the balls when it comes to prices paid. Also if they get the go ahead does that mean there will be two more empty premises in town?

the agreement tesco would have with the council would have or should have (cavan councilers aren't the sharpest tools in the box) something in relation the old premises , there will be a whole host of things tesco will have to commit to before they start the new place , thats unless there not gonna continue to use the old premises which isn't a given , tescos leaving cavan would be a drop in the ocean in relation to the revenue they generate , if they can't make an agrement with the council they will leave but they will make an agreement with them , its in the intrest of both parties to reach an agreement , tescos make money and the council makes money , more people come into the town and eat , drink coffee , beer , go to the cinema , everyone will benifit , sure a few small shops might have to improve there services to compete but thats a good thing imho

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PILOT

Why not head to Bailieborough to see what effect Tesco is having there? Their Tesco is only a few hundred metres from the town centre.They promised to build an access route to the town centre from the store, that was only built 14 months after the store opened!
    Yes it is only 150m from Cavan's main street, but will people walk up/down that hill to go to the butchers, chemist, bookshops?...Nope.

Also this Tesco Extra will have the typical TU clothing section, much bigger than the present one on main street. I could see Dunnes really feeling the pressure from Tesco Extra from both the food and clothing section........and if that happened, it would be the be the end of cavan town centre retail lifeline.

PILOT wrote: »
    Yes it is only 150m from Cavan's main street, but will people walk up/down that hill to go to the butchers, chemist, bookshops?...Nope.
    how in world can you predict how 10's of thousands of people that will come to the new store behave shopping wise ??? l noticed your name is PILOT would you not have just gone for GOD , l mean it stands to reason , its human nature to be curious , people who come to cavan for the first time instead of going to navan shopping center for example or even virginia , will look around the rest of the town
    Also this Tesco Extra will have the typical TU clothing section, much bigger than the present one on main street. I could see Dunnes really feeling the pressure from Tesco Extra from both the food and clothing section........and if that happened, it would be the be the end of cavan town centre retail lifeline.
    why do you care about dunnes ? and how are they the "cavan town centre retail lifeline" , your talking about dunnes ?? the retail lifeline ?? how are they the retail lifeline ? l hope l'm not coming across as too much of a bo**ocks but you are making some grandiose statements .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Why not head to Bailieborough to see what effect Tesco is having there? Their Tesco is only a few hundred metres from the town centre.They promised to build an access route to the town centre from the store, that was only built 14 months after the store opened!

Well to be honest I hate shopping in Dunnes. In fact I boycott the shop there as every single time I went in I left feeling stressed. From cashiers talking to their friends whilst you are waiting to be served to customers jumping the q, to people with trolleys going to the "10 items or less q and being served" I find the shop a joke. Did my last shop in there a year ago and wont be back.

spinzes wrote: »
    l noticed your name is PILOT would you not have just gone for GOD ,
    Well spinzes I work in aviation and studied aviation so this username just sums up what I do, its in cap locks because boards.ie decided to automatically do that........

I just took the example of Dunnes as a retail lifeline, choose whatever store you want. Dunnes occupy 2 of the biggest stores on Main street at the minute, What would become of main street if these places were to close?

Im not one of these people who say " O no we cant have Tesco, because all their profits go to the UK". Im just simply saying why can't we simply use the existing vacant unit we already have in the town and outskirts and optimise business for the existing business owners.

I just took the example of Dunnes as a retail lifeline, choose whatever store you want. Dunnes occupy 2 of the biggest stores on Main street at the minute, What would become of main street if these places were to close?
    don't worry about the name thing l'm only slaging ya , l just don't know what you mean by "dunnes" (or any other store) being a "retail lifeline" , ya see those kind of statements freak people out , your giveing the impression that if dunnes closed (which it isn't going to happen tesco or no tesco) that businesses in the town would die , theres no basis for saying that .
    Im just simply saying why can't we simply use the existing vacant unit we already have in the town and outskirts and optimise business for the existing business owners.
    l wasn't aware they aren't going to use the current building , do you know , whats in the proposal ? l don't even think its been finalized yet so l don't know were you getting that from again l think you have no basis for sying that , but the council will have to get them to aggree to do something with the old building they won't just let tesco walk away from it . l just think the misinformation going around about the tesco thing is very irresponsible and causes confusion and hysteria .

Sorry, I meant to say "Vacant Units", I was not suggesting the vacant unit would be the current tesco building. The vacant units I was thinking of were the few newish ones up beside the egg market.
    I think that the chamber of commerce should really be trying to develop that side of main street, has been neglected to some degree for too long.

This even made the national press this week;

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0704/1224300032960.html

Interesting that they mention that there is interest from other large retailers in purchasing the old Tesco building - I would imagine this is for the smaller store on Main Street (the one in the photo) rather than the bigger store beside the car park.

• Advertisement

Both the stores are linked from the back, so maybe a large retailer will buy both, would be great if penney's went in. There is a serious lack of clothes shops in Cavan.

Advertisement