Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tescos

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I'd like to see a penny's. The selection in dunes is terrible not to mention some of the staff....

Also, sadly Apex Games closed. So are the going to haul a coffin through town against Xtra Vision and Game, no doubt the later had a bigger effect on Apex.

I loved that store :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Wishful thinking cutie18 and unclebill.
    1. the current texco grocery is too big to be occupied by a clothes retailer
    2. tesco have a policy of not selling their unwanted units to their competitors

re your point unclebill about your beloved apex games, xtravision isnt far behind it, and its online sales that had more to do with the closure of apex than xtravision.
    if tesco get to open their new superstore there will be a lot more closures in cavan town

Yet Game is having a great time!

Game mops up in the gaming Market mainly due too great selection and a shop run by gamers.

I see your point about not selling to rivals, that makes perfect sense. I started this tread to get a debate going and no one has delivered real concrete evidence that it's going to ruin the town.

Is the issue that there is no direct comparison to what's purposed in Cavan?

Yet Game is having a great time!

Game mops up in the gaming Market mainly due too great selection and a shop run by gamers.

I see your point about not selling to rivals, that makes perfect sense. I started this tread to get a debate going and no one has delivered real concrete evidence that it's going to ruin the town.

Is the issue that there is no direct comparison to what's purposed in Cavan?

Gamestop is not having a great time, actually. And if you think a huge tesco opening is a good idea do you know what will happen to the shop run by "gamers"?
    A new tesco designed in a way that does not encourage people to visit the rest of the town, will seriously damage Cavan town. There is plenty of evidence to this affect, it happens everywhere a tesco superstore goes.

How about you show evidence that the tesco proposal will increase business in Cavan town centre??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

M three wrote: »
    Gamestop is not having a great time, actually. And if you think a huge tesco opening is a good idea do you know what will happen to the shop run by "gamers"?
    A new tesco designed in a way that does not encourage people to visit the rest of the town, will seriously damage Cavan town. There is plenty of evidence to this affect, it happens everywhere a tesco superstore goes.

How about you show evidence that the tesco proposal will increase business in Cavan town centre??

I still dont see how a bigger Tesco will ruin Cavan Town.

Take the following examples:

Mens Clothes Shop: No decent ones in Cavan Town, the mens clothes they sell in Tesco are hardly worth writing home about so thats one area that wont be affected.

Shoe Shops: Again Tesco shoes are not high quality

Books: Tesco in Cavan already sell Books and Magzines yet Easons is still here

Toiletries: Tesco sell these already. Are they going to be cheaper because the new Tesco is bigger?

Restuarants: A bigger Tesco wont affect these either.

Butchers: We already have 3 supermarkets in town selling meat/chicken etc yet there are still butchers shops open

Fruit and Veg: Again we already have a Tesco selling these things along with 2 other supermarkets in the town and yet we have the Friday Market and fruit and veg shops open.

I would like to see some examples of how a bigger Tesco opening is going to affect the town. Im not trying to be smart here but I would like to hear examples of how this new store will cause shops to close.

• Advertisement

gazzer wrote: »
    I still dont see how a bigger Tesco will ruin Cavan Town.

Take the following examples:

Mens Clothes Shop: No decent ones in Cavan Town, the mens clothes they sell in Tesco are hardly worth writing home about so thats one area that wont be affected.

Shoe Shops: Again Tesco shoes are not high quality

Books: Tesco in Cavan already sell Books and Magzines yet Easons is still here

Toiletries: Tesco sell these already. Are they going to be cheaper because the new Tesco is bigger?

Restuarants: A bigger Tesco wont affect these either.

Butchers: We already have 3 supermarkets in town selling meat/chicken etc yet there are still butchers shops open

Fruit and Veg: Again we already have a Tesco selling these things along with 2 other supermarkets in the town and yet we have the Friday Market and fruit and veg shops open.

I would like to see some examples of how a bigger Tesco opening is going to affect the town. Im not trying to be smart here but I would like to hear examples of how this new store will cause shops to close.

There are a fixed number of shoppers in an area like Cavan.
    By looking to establish a much larger store tesco obviously expect to increase the number of people shopping with tesco.
    So where do you think these additional customers will come from?
    Thin air?
    Tesco expect them to come from the small businesses that are already established on the main street. And then what happens these small businesses? they close, with the loss of jobs and you then have empty units on the main street of what is currently a really nice town.

Any why do you type in bold? Trying to ram your point across by shouting doesnt made your argument a valid one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭celt262

I was talking to someone about this at a wedding last week and they are from Clonmel.

Tesco built one off these stores there and in his words " you wouldnt get a litre of milk in town now" aparently all the small shops have closed.

How true that is i do not know but i would hope that the effect on the town would be minimal.

There are a fixed number of shoppers in an area like Cavan.
    By looking to establish a much larger store tesco obviously expect to increase the number of people shopping with tesco.
    So where do you think these additional customers will come from?
    Thin air?
    Tesco expect them to come from the small businesses that are already established on the main street. And then what happens these small businesses? they close, with the loss of jobs and you then have empty units on the main street of what is currently a really nice town.

Any why do you type in bold? Trying to ram your point across by shouting doesnt made your argument a valid one.

Whoh. Easy up there tiger. Im not trying to ram my point across. I am just giving my point of view. Sorry if it doesnt match yours. The only reason I put the list is bold was to differenciate between my post and the types of shops I mentioned. Think you have your netiquete a bit back to front there. If I was trying to shout I would be typing in capitals.

Well that's why I started the tread. I don't have any!

Would the shoppers who use lidl, aldi, supervalu move to Tescos?

As an other poster pointed out a lot of business are already surviving. Tescos also do CDs etc and the local music shop is still there.

The issue for the against camp is they've no direct comparison to give. It's all subject to personal opinion. The for camp seem to be people with no direct involvement in local business and they just want better choice and the chance to use a Tesco and not have to pay for parking!

As an other poster pointed out a lot of business are already surviving. Tescos also do CDs etc and the local music shop is still there.

The issue for the against camp is they've no direct comparison to give. It's all subject to personal opinion. The for camp seem to be people with no direct involvement in local business and they just want better choice and the chance to use a Tesco and not have to pay for parking!

You are right in that a lot of businesses are merely "surviving". It will take very little for them to close altogether, with the loss of jobs. Over and over again it has been shown that a superstore like the proposed tesco results in an overall reduction in people employed.
    Its obvious from the design of the proposed tesco that they want to discourage people from going to the main street and continuing to shop there. The back entrance of proposed tesco, which faces town, is like a fire escape, why not have proper access to the rest of town?

Do people who park in cavan town not get the first 15mins free and people who shop in the existing tesco not get free parking?

You say that the proposed tesco will bring better choice. Like what exactly? And what effect will these additional lines have on existing businesses?

Tesco's strategy has always been to get big out of town developments, resulting in local businesses closing, which results in less competition as the local butcher, chemist, petrol station etc all close, at which point tesco put up prices.

• Advertisement

So you have no evidence that the proposed new tesco will augment cavan town. Then it shouldnt be allowed. No development that does not augment the town should be allowed.

You are right in that a lot of businesses are merely "surviving". It will take very little for them to close altogether, with the loss of jobs. Over and over again it has been shown that a superstore like the proposed tesco results in an overall reduction in people employed.
    Its obvious from the design of the proposed tesco that they want to discourage people from going to the main street and continuing to shop there. The back entrance of proposed tesco, which faces town, is like a fire escape, why not have proper access to the rest of town?

Do people who park in cavan town not get the first 15mins free and people who shop in the existing tesco not get free parking?

You say that the proposed tesco will bring better choice. Like what exactly? And what effect will these additional lines have on existing businesses?

Tesco's strategy has always been to get big out of town developments, resulting in local businesses closing, which results in less competition as the local butcher, chemist, petrol station etc all close, at which point tesco put up prices.

Dont think this is true. I have always had to pay for parking at the car park beside Tesco unless it was after 7pm. Never got 15 minutes free in Cavan town either. Thats why I nearly always do my shopping in Super Valu, free parking and nice staff.

No free parking at all. It's all pay. I see your point about more choice. There may not exactly be more choice but I suppose it would stock a larger range of products if it's the similar set up to the other large stores.

As for putting there prices up when they get rid of the competition, where is the proof of that?

Petrol stations in Cavan are a rip off. Look at the mcnellys in monagahan, cheapest diesel around! The town does need cheaper options.

As for the purposed new back entrance. I was not aware of the fire escape look to it. I would agree with you there, if it's the link to the town the atleast make it look that way.
    So you have no evidence that the proposed new tesco will augment cavan town. Then it shouldnt be allowed. No development that does not augment the town should be allowed.

I don't get you. I just wanna know what the real impacts will be. Hence why I started the tread. From conversations in work it's all hear say. It's all local small minded attitude from both sides.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

It would be good to ask the retailers from the main street of Enniskillen - a town very close to Cavan how the ASDA superstore and Tesco effected their business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

@unclebill98 - there is some hard evidence about the effects of these superstores - just use google - http://www.stoptesco.info/
    http://www.tescopoly.org/

johnmck wrote: »
    @unclebill98 - there is some hard evidence about the effects of these superstores - just use google - http://www.stoptesco.info/
    http://www.tescopoly.org/

None of which is Irish based........

johnmck wrote: »
    It would be good to ask the retailers from the main street of Enniskillen - a town very close to Cavan how the ASDA superstore and Tesco effected their business.

Very good point. Has any one noticed a difference up there? Last I heard the Tescos up there can not compete with the asda. That's based back when everyone was going up north for their shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Maybe I'm the exception to the rule but as it is - If my family are going to do the grocery shopping it'd just be a straight trip into town to SuperValu or Tesco depending on the mood and more likely on whether we have any other business.. If we had no other business just hit SuperValu for convience and free parking...

Tesco if anyone had to go down the town for whatever reason... now it's just going to mean that if you want to go down the town you just go down the town like normal but ya might have to walk back up the hill to get to the new carpark that will hopefully have free parking...

If I have to go to the chemists or want to go to Eason's or whatever else amn't I still going to have to go down the town :confused: if I want to buy a new game or whatever I'm still going to have to go down to Gamespot or Xtravision... new pair of shoes/nice clothes... etc etc I'm still going to have to go down the town....

If I wanted cheap shoes or clothes well wouldn't I have just gone into the existing Tesco and got them there no???

Maybe it's just me but the only change to how I use Cavan town is that if I have only the grocery shopping to do I'll just head into Tesco and not have to add traffic to the town trying to get to the existing one... that is of course if I don't choose Aldi Lidl or SuperValu ahead of Tesco to begin with... chances are if I was just going to do a quick shop I wouldn't have gone down the town in any case...
    Wishful thinking cutie18 and unclebill.
    1. the current texco grocery is too big to be occupied by a clothes retailer
    2. tesco have a policy of not selling their unwanted units to their competitors

if tesco get to open their new superstore there will be a lot more closures in cavan town

If you read the IrishTimes articled linked in the thread you'll see that it's clearly stated that Tesco intend to sell the old store so....

what stores do you think will close first..... will it be the ones that are struggling as it is and when they close everyone can jump and say it was Tesco's fault for opening a new store???

Even though Tesco's superstore is going to be the nearest store to the town it's the one that's going to end all business in the town for ever and ever... why wasn't their the same crying and giving out when Lidl, SuperValu, and Aldi all opened stores which are further out of town :rolleyes: I'd have though Lakeland retail park and that park where Argos is would have been bad for business in the town center as well no???

what is it about this new Tesco that's making people so mad and why is it going to be the end of the town center like??? why are so many people so adamant that this new store that's 150m away from where it is now is going to cause such disruption...

now if the new store was out around where the Kilmore is that'd be different as then people definetly wouldn't just tip down the town but where this new store is being located it means people would actually be more inclined to tip down the town for something then if they went to any of the other supermarkets...

I just think it's a whole lot of bashing just because it's Tesco... and Tesco are the big bad corporation attitude... like I said before why wasn't there this level of complaining when the other supermarkets set up shop well outside the town center... if I remember them opening everyone seemed to thing they were great but anyways...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

.......... Last I heard the Tescos up there can not compete with the asda. That's based back when everyone was going up north for their shopping.

Who said that?

TESCO can compete with whoever they want.

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    If you read the IrishTimes articled linked in the thread you'll see that it's clearly stated that Tesco intend to sell the old store so....

Tesco recently applied for planning permission to make changes to the existing 2 stores near main street

• Advertisement
Advertisement