Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the minimum maternity leave that I can take?

• 28-05-2011 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi,

I am approx 24 weeks pregnant and the main earner in our house.. My employer is not going to top up the social welfare payments - which i totally understand as it is a small company. But as the main earner in our household the social welfare payments are not enough to meet our bills etc.. I was thinking of taking half the maternity leave. 2 weeks before and 10 weeks afterwards, but I would like to know if there is a minimum leave that I must take? Before I bring up this idea at work.

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm not sure there is a minimum but they say to give yourself at least six weeks to recover...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Have to agree with January on this one. I had my little girl March last year and I spent the first 6 weeks in my pyjamas going back and forth between the kitchen and the bedroom! I understand getting back to work is important for income, but make sure to take proper care of yourself first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

^^^ I agree with this. Op, some women seem to bounce back from giving birth very quickly and you see them out and about very soon after. Personally I stayed in bed for 3 weeks and I really only felt that I'd recovered after 3 months.

I completely understand that you have money worries but dont rush back to work because you're worried about paying the bills. Don't underestimate how physically tired you'll be from both the birth and looking after your baby. I'd say 3 months is the minimum to physically recover. You need to keep yourself healthy to look after yourself and your baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I agree with all of the above, rushing back to work would, IMO be very foolish. In reality it takes about a year for your body to get back to "normal'. Being pregnant and then having a baby takes it's toll both physically and emotionally, and you need to give yourself time to recover.

You need to talk to someone who knows more about your entitlements, probably someone in your local social welfare office or citizens advice. You could be entitled to more than you think!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am one of the women who was out driving and wandering around the shops 5 days after having my 1st and came home the day after my 2nd to look after my baby and Toddler so no real rest,I find the exhaustion sets in in week 2 from breastfeeding and babies loosing more weight then they are putting on, anyway despite this there is no way I would be ready to go back to work with either of them before 9 months.
    The exhaustion of getting up,getting them up and ready, travelling,the creche drop,having to leave them,collecting them,coming home @ 7,giving them attention,putting them to bed.It is awful.
    If your husband is going to be a stay at home dad and you are confident with him minding the baby though then you are fine,take the 26 weeks ,see if you are entitled to any other social welfare payment then go back:)
    good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

Thanks for all the replies.. definitely has given me some food for thought. Like most of the country we are deep in negative equity with car loans etc.. so even though hubby has a job, he has a minimum-wage job and it wouldn't be enough to clear our bills.

I am due mid September, so was thinking of taking 12 weeks from the beginning of sept and returning to work at the beginning of December.. with the Christmas break to look forward to after that. I might see if we can financially stretch it out so that i would take 16 weeks meaning that i'd be back to work after the Christmas break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I think the minimum is 6 weeks afterwards, and that's with doc signing you as fit to go back to work at your six week check. Maternity leave has been extended so much in the past ten years. I know my aunt only had 12 weeks off when she had my cousin 12 years ago..... In the US women really only get the 12 weeks so obviosuly you would like the longer time off but it is doable....

Can you talk to your job and see if they'll allow you to go back part time? I think sometimes you would be surprised that the net effect of going part time isn't that mcuh when you factor in reduced childcare costs, tax credits etc.

Also, make sure when you are doing your sums that you remember that you should get a good bit of the tax you pay up til September back as you'll only have 8 months of a salary for this year. That cash could mean you can take an extra month off (remember you still get your maternity benefit). Talk to your HR dept or person to see if they can arrange that you get this taxback through payroll before Christmas, or else you can use the online PAYE system next January. Also factor in that extra 140 a month you get for child benefit. Not massive, but extra nonetheless......

Make savings on baby equipment so that you don't have too much of an outlay beforehand. My sis got nursery furntiure on gumtree for her little one - €150 for perfect cot changing table and wardrobe. Sorry if this sounds preachy - You might already be making shrewd purchases :D

You can also get on to your creditors and explain the situation to them. You might find that they allow you to take a bit more time paying December's bills so that you can take that extra last month. I think having those extra few weeks would make a difference to you....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

If your partner is in a min wage job, you are entitled to FIS (to the best of my knowledge).

The basic mat leave is 2 weeks before, 6 weeks after. This is due to the fact, no company will insure you on their premises until 6 weeks after the birth.

I had a section and was out and about of the bed the day of the section, and I was looking after baby, getting the shopping, cooking and cleaning within a week of baby being born.

Each mother is different, you may feel able for work by 6 weeks afterwards, or you may not be up to it for 12 weeks. That is entirely up to you and your body :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you are both working your main issue might be trying to find anyone to look after such a young baby,creches will not take them that young.
    Childcare is also expensive so some people are better off on maternity leave then working as they are not paying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

yea you get fis if you earn under 506 a week. I'd even just not pay some bills (phone, gas electricty) in full so that I could take some time off. Just ring them up and say you can pay 10 a week off them and then when your back in work pay off the rest.

I was grand after having baby was out walking 5k's about 2/3 weeks after having her. I wasn't working when i was preg but got a part time job when she was 8 months and was exhausted as it was evening work so never really got a break. I'd try stretch your budget to take as long as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

If you have large mortgage repayments, you should also speak to your lender. If you are the main earner and guaranteed to return to your job after maternity leave, they may be happy to freeze your mortgage for a couple of months or give you reduced or interest-only repayments for the weeks that your income is reduced. My friend managed this - she is the only earner in their household, took quite a while to recover from her emergency c-section and needed the full 26 weeks off. Her bank obliged - the length of the mortgage was simply extended by a few months.

Having a newborn is stressful enough without having to return to work sooner than you are statutorily obliged to.

Advertisement