Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Acceleration Problem

Options
  • 28-05-2011 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi all.

Hoping someone can help me out here. I have a 98 Mazda Xedos6 (2.0 petrol V6). When accelerating there seems to be a number of flat spots between 2000 and 4000 rpm. I have only just serviced the car, changed oil, filters, spark plugs, cleaned the air flow, checked all pipes but the problem seems to have remained. Has anyone any ideas what this might be or is there anything else I can try myself before forking out a fortune get to the root of the problem?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

It could be the fuel pump. I'd do a fuel pressure test before I start replacing anything, also get any faults read that may be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭YipYipU

Thanks Plug. I'll try get my hands on a fuel pressure gauge and get someone to check the electrics on the pump. If the pump needs to be replaced would it be a big job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Ignition coil I wonder?

That symptoms you describe would be consistent with (among other things) an ignition coil pack thats on the way out.

The fuel pressure and fuel pump have proven to be ok.

How does one know if the ignition coil pack is on the way out? I have priced this from Mazda and it's €364 + VAT. Though I have located one on eBay in the UK for €28 + pp.

Should I just get this and replace it and hope it does the trick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Is there any air leaks anywhere, loose/split rubber hose? Could be a coil pack also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

YipYipU wrote: »
    How does one know if the ignition coil pack is on the way out? I have priced this from Mazda and it's €364 + VAT. Though I have located one on eBay in the UK for €28 + pp.

Should I just get this and replace it and hope it does the trick?

Ouch, thats bloody saucy! If I recall correctly I paid about €100 or perhaps a little over for the ignition coil pack when it gave up on my Vectra some time back. I think it was plugged into the diagnostics that time and it highlighted the fault but I stand to be corrected on that one. Of course some know how to charge well for the diagnostics too but you may need to bite the bullet. I'd be very hesitant about getting parts that are that expensive in the hope they are the problem. You could end up being seriously out of pocket and the car driving no better.

Serious difference between Mazdas price and ebay but I do feel you are taking a chance in buying car parts of ebay too. Theres the option of buying one from a breakers yard but thats hit and miss too. It may end up being no better than the one you took of.

Well I've no intentions of forkin out €364 to Mazda but I'm thinking I might just take on chance on the one on eBay. The seller has 100% positive feedback for the last 12 months and has a feedback score of 29322. I had a quick look through and some of the feedback is for similar coil packs. They Also don't normally ship internationally but I emailed them about this and they were quite happy to make an exception. I think I will take a chance on it, especially since having checked partfinder.ie there appears to be a massive zero V6 Xedos' for breaking in Ireland.

Forgot to mention, the coil pack from eBay also comes with a 12 month guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Richie ae86

sounds like your fuel filter, they are supposed to be replaced every 2 years but noone does, id change that they are only around €12 mark, hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

.., cleaned the air flow, ...

Do you mean you cleaned the airflow meter? This is not a service item. The airflow meter is a very delicate item and easily damaged. If you had no problem before the service then you may have caused some damage to the AFM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Wheelnut wrote: »
    Do you mean you cleaned the airflow meter? This is not a service item. The airflow meter is a very delicate item and easily damaged. If you had no problem before the service then you may have caused some damage to the AFM.
    No, he said the problem REMAINED after the service, including this cleaning. EDIT : though this cleaning does not eliminate it as the fault...
    I'd check all vacuum connections, but I don't know much about the reliability of these coilpacks, maybe they fail frequently. e364 seems an *awful lot of money* for a coilpack though.
    Would be great if you could get a loan of a coil pack and rotate it through the differnt cylinders, see which pack was bad if any. And check the connections are nice and clean while you're at it.

Ok so here's what I've tried so far.
    I began by doing a fuel pressure test and had the fuel pump checked, both of which seemed to be fine.
    I replaced the fuel filter and also I took a chance on the replacement coil pack from eBay. Still no better.
    Someone suggested I clean the distributor cap, so I did. It had quite a lot of dirt built up on it. I was hoping this would be it but unfortunately it hasn't made the slightest bit of difference. To the best of my ability I've checked all hoses are securely in place and can't find any holes or splits anywhere.

I'm all out ideas at this stage. Can anyone give me any more suggestions?

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions, greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

When did you change timebelt ?? if it slipped by on teeth, it could cause similar problems.
    quiet a lot to be done, check and clean throttle body, in night time start car, and check is there any spark leak from sparkplug leads, examine distributor cap and head ... if any cracks in there, ... i think not expensive to buy new one.... make sure in air pipe, which deliver air in to inlet manifolds, no any leaks, or crack, sometimes it may be underneath , and you cant see or feel.

As you did quiet a lot of tests and checks, now need dig deeper....
    Check cylinder compression, make sure coolant liquid is in good shape, could worth bring to garage, and check is headgasket ok (perform chemical test on coolant liquid, if there is leak in headgasket, sample change colour with some chemicals).

try address your question in mazda forums, id say uk one... there some people have more experience too ....
    could be just one sensor fault ....

Good luck , and let us know how you keeping.

...and also I took a chance on the replacement coil pack from eBay. Still no better.
    Someone suggested I clean the distributor cap, so I did. It had quite a lot of dirt built up on it.

Not sure what you mean there, it's unlikely to have both a coil pack and a distributor. The coil pack consists of a group of small coils that go directly on to the spark plugs, one for each plug. They are switched individually by the ECU and don't require a distributor. If it has a distributor there will be only one coil and the high tension current from it is directed to each plug in turn by the distributor. Also if it has a distributor it's the inside of the cap that should be cleaned and checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

+1,

cant have distributor cap and coil packs,two completely different parts!so you might wanna check what you have first before ya fork out a load of cash!

Wheelnut wrote: »
    it's unlikely to have both a coil pack and a distributor.

Thanks Wheelnut, perhaps I've been misinformed. I cleaned the inside of what I was told was the distributor cap. I've taken a couple of pics of the parts in question.

This is what I cleaned (inside), it was a pain to open it up so didn't bother doing it again for the sake of the picture.
    P7050227.jpg

And this is the part I replaced.
    P7050226.jpg

They are connected to each other by the blue cable which can been seen in this pic.
    P7050228.jpg

Mar4ix wrote: »
    When did you change timebelt ?? .......................
    try address your question in mazda forums, id say uk one... there some people have more experience too ....
    could be just one sensor fault ....

Thanks Mar4ix. Timing Belt was changed less than 2000 miles ago, just after I bought the car. I'll check out the mazda forums again, I have looked through some already but couldn't find anything relevant.

thats is the distributor cap,the blue lead is leading off to your ignition coil!have you taken the distributor cap off and checked for cracks and dirt?

small hairline cracks can open up when engine runs hot,this causes the spark to get lost therefore causing misfire and acceleration problems and loss of power!

So it's Ignition Coil not Coil Pack is that correct? Yup I took off the cap, cleaned it with a small brush and put it back on. It was pretty dirty, didn't seen any cracks.

• Advertisement

small hairline cracks can open up when engine runs hot,this causes the spark to get lost therefore causing misfire and acceleration problems and loss of power!

Maybe I should take it off again and examine it more thoroughly. I have noticed that it doesn't seem to happen when the engine is cold.

check for cracks even the smallest of crack can cause what appears to be a huge problem!have you checked your spark plugs?

try post a picture of inside the cap when you take it off!

I'll check it again so. Yup there were new plugs put it in less than 2000 miles ago. It'll be tomorrow when I get to do it so I'll post some more pics then.
    Thanks

also are you sure you have the leads connected in the right order to the cap?

Well they're in the same order as before I took them off the cap. I made sure to label them before removing them. Unless the previous owner had them in the wrong order. Any way of knowing the correct order?

@YYU: The bit in the first picture is a distributor cap and the bit in the second is a coil, but I think you know that now.

I would like to highlight what I'm about to say by marking the pics but I can't do it, so try to follow and apologies in advance:

In the first pic there is something that looks like a plug lead hanging down at the face of the distributor cap. Check if this is connected to anything, if it is loose it could be your problem.

In the second pic it looks like there is a bolt missing from the front of the air duct. If the hole goes right through to the inside, the airflow through the hole could upset the air-flow meter.

Finally you say the plugs were changed 2000 miles ago. This is a transverse six cylinder engine (right?). The plugs on the rear three cylinders are a pig to change and it involves removing the manifolds. It's conceivable that a lazy mechanic would not bother and just leave the old plugs in. It might be worth checking it out.

In the first pic there is something that looks like a plug lead hanging down at the face of the distributor cap. Check if this is connected to anything, if it is loose it could be your problem.

agreed noticed that myself looks like its not connected to anything!
    In the second pic it looks like there is a bolt missing from the front of the air duct. If the hole goes right through to the inside, the airflow through the hole could upset the air-flow meter.

again well observed mate could well be causing air flow problems,worth checking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

there must be 2 coils and 2 distributor caps each have to have one lead from coil and three sparkplug leads) , in these pics we can see only half of engine ignition system.

• Advertisement

there must be 2 coils and 2 distributor caps each have to have one lead from coil and three sparkplug leads) , in these pics we can see only half of engine ignition system.

I think you'll find the other three connections on the bottom (out of sight)

ProductImage.aspx?img=PDC8322-46.jpg

Advertisement