Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating in Galway City Centre

Options
  • 28-05-2011 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Can anyone please recommend somewhere for lunch at a reasonable price.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

charcoal grill mary street.. dinner for a tenner,and yum

• Registered Users Posts: 1 orlak

Kellys Bar on Bridge Street is always a winner with me!

The menu has been more or less the same for years but there is no need to change something so good! :)

The food is very tasty, the staff are friendly and the bar has a great quirky decor.....all in all a great lunch experience and at a reasonable price too!

Hope you enjoy Kellys if you check it out :).

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Maxwells on Eglington Street is really nice. Lovely looking place, good variety on the menu and very reasonably priced. I go there with the husband and 2 kids and we all find something we like. It's there opposite Brown Thomas. (Which is not reasonably priced!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I like Kelly's, the Cellar Bar (dunno if it's different since it reopened), The Millhouse and Goyas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Townhouse, Árd Bía (but the latter, though reasonable, can be the pricey end). The Museum Cafe was lovely recently, I know they did it up and haven't been in for a month or so, but food was really tasty, fresh and locally sourced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Are there any cafes in town preferably with a smoking area but no biggie if it doesnt have one open late this evening. Have time to kill in town and would like to sit down with a tea or a coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Are there any cafes in town preferably with a smoking area but no biggie if it doesnt have one open late this evening. Have time to kill in town and would like to sit down with a tea or a coffee.

next to eddie rockets,seats outside..not great weather for it though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

O'RIORDANS

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

McSwiggin's is beeeautiful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TARAGROT

sam baileys across from the gpo is really nice.the food is fresh,and its great value for money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TARAGROT

also for outside eating lynches have a fab seating area out back

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

The cellar does lovely food and is very reasonably priced =)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

O' Riordans / Finnigans does basic food at a decent price

If you want grease, just pull out an Eddie Rockets €13 voucher from the Galway Independent (that is if there's 2 of ye)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

orlak wrote: »

The menu has been more or less the same for years but there is no need to change something so good! :)

The food is very tasty, the staff are friendly and the bar has a great quirky decor.....all in all a great lunch experience and at a reasonable price too!

Interesting first post from orlak. What does the K stand for Orla?

Shame that the place has absolutely no atmosphere, was in there Thursday and it found it to be one of the most disappointing places in Galway. Only waited for two pints before we went elsewhere, the bar staff seemed to be going through the motions with slow service and while the food was okay it was far from the begin anywhere near the best in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ilovesleep wrote: »

I guess it depends on what you mean by "late".

Java's the only cafe open at night.

The place on Lower Abbeygate St that was Trishas has morphed (after a lot of drilling, sanding etc) into Cafe Venice. Opened this week, and appeared to be open into the evening a bit (8pm maybe, I didn't fully notice). Haven't tried it yet, so no idea what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

've been disappointed with kellys as well. Really miss the living room. Had way mms atmosphere for a pint, nicer cocktails and lovely food. Become a great fan of the town house lately. Great staff- food and seating :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Mr.Kequc

Vina Mara http://www.vinamara.com/ I just came from here and was amazed at what I had to eat for €12, with coffee. They have a very cute waitress too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Mr.Kequc wrote: »
    Vina Mara http://www.vinamara.com/ I just came from here and was amazed at what I had to eat for €12, with coffee. They have a very cute waitress too.
    heard a couple of less than wonderful reviews of there lately, including not honouring a gift card because their own machine was on the blink.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

McSwiggan, steak sandwich or thai beef salad, great food and under 9 e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

the amount of people with only a handful of posts in this thread is suspicious...

I find it hard to find consistent quality in Galway. Kellys being the number one culprit for me personally. Can anyone tell me if anyone does any good turkish or greek food in galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

Malthouse do a decent lunch special for €10-€12 every day. Good quality decent food and not just a glorified sandwich. Went to Artisan today and had the fish special and coffee for €11. Nice as well but no veg with main dish.
    Pity Gourmet Tart company don't have a sit in Cafe in town as their sandwiches are the best around.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 marcusgunn

+1 for Sam Baileys. Good value, nice lunch menu. I recommend the steak sandwich. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The menu has been cut substantially in the last while. Sweet three-toed sloth of ice planet Hoth, I miss the Moroccan Lamb.

At present, I'm a massive fan of Kai Cafe on Sea Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Quirky??? . ... Tacky Fake is a better way of describing it IMO.
    Also, how are ye all in work there today? ;-)

But I must say their steak sandwich is quite nice, if only a tad small . .. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Oh forgot mustard. Think they're mill house now. In bridge mills. And if weather is nice enough you can smoke out the back looking at the river :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Oh I tried that place after hearing great reviews. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! Tiny burger and over cooked chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Mustard was great when it was Mustard properly, a few years back. Their newer locations have kind of taken over and diluted the quality or something, Oslo is ok, love the food in the Cottage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

Food in the Skeff is lovely, although find it a bit dark inside! Sam Bailey's would be my recommendation, never had anything to complain about in all my visits so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

My favourite place to eat in town in The Townhouse (upstairs & downstairs). Gorgeous reasonably priced food with nice friends staff.

The Cellar used to do great food before it closed, I have only been in there for Breakfast since re-opening & it was gorgeous!

Parkhouse do a great half portion of dinner at lunch for €8 or so & it's really lovely food..

Elwoods is nice enough for a sambo & chips kinda thing..

Advertisement