Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating in Galway City Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

What are people's recommendations for a good deli in the city i.e. grab and go type place, need to cut my visits to Supermac's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

ourtrail wrote: »
    What are people's recommendations for a good deli in the city i.e. grab and go type place, need to cut my visits to Supermac's!!

McCambridge's

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Robbo wrote: »
    At present, I'm a massive fan of Kai Cafe on Sea Road.

Are they open in the evenings, do you know?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JustMary wrote: »
    Are they open in the evenings, do you know?
    Yes and very popular I believe, a booking is needed. Different menu to lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Interesting first post from orlak. What does the K stand for Orla?

It's weird though, no one called Orla K works there. I'd love to know who posted that, it was a p1ss poor attempt at promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

What are peoples thoughts on The Cellar since it re-opened?

I know it's owned by one of the guys from The Malt House in M'Bellew, which is amazing, so is it pretty much the same/just as good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Marguerite Tonery

I like Tamarind. Substantial lunch for 9.50

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

At present, I'm a massive fan of Kai Cafe on Sea Road.

Is that where the florist used to be? (The 'budding xxxx' cafe or something?)

What's the menu like?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Is that where the florist used to be? (The 'budding xxxx' cafe or something?)

What's the menu like?
    Yeah, where the florist/Budding Cafe was.

I'm beginning to sound like their PR but the menu is excellent and changes by the day. I had a very nice pastrami open sandwich on lovely home made bread last week. The chef used to do the food in Bar 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Yeah, where the florist/Budding Cafe was.

I'm beginning to sound like their PR but the menu is excellent and changes by the day. I had a very nice pastrami open sandwich on lovely home made bread last week. The chef used to do the food in Bar 8.

Cheers, will give it a try next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Interesting first post from orlak. What does the K stand for Orla?
    I know the Kellys pretty well and i'm pretty sure there is no Orla.

Maybe she just likes the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

sealgaire wrote: »
    Oh I tried that place after hearing great reviews. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! Tiny burger and over cooked chips.

I'm assuming you're talking about mustard, it's changed a bit recently, it's now the millhouse and they've changed chef or something. For lunch these days they give you 3 chips. Literally 3. They're huge chips now, but you can't help but feel a bit ripped off.

They also used to do lovely burgers, loads of different ones, but the new menu has just one on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Inky_Lady

Went to the mill house for dinner last Wed, food was good (those chips are bleedin' massive!!). There were at least 3 veggie options on the menu, interesting. It's buy one get one free on mains Wednesday evenings which is cool. Must try the lunch menu- is it just sandwiches? ,I'd say the terrace will be mobbed in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

I overheard someone in town saying yesterday that Sam Baileys was closed - anyone know what's the story there? Found it a nice place the few times I was there, even if service was a little slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

buzz55 wrote: »
    I overheard someone in town saying yesterday that Sam Baileys was closed - anyone know what's the story there? Found it a nice place the few times I was there, even if service was a little slow.
    You wouldn't have thought to go and look as you were in town? :rolleyes:

buzz55 wrote: »
    It's closed. I loved the food and coffee in the place but recently the service went to pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

can anyone recommend a nice chinese in the city centre?

thaks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

You wouldn't have thought to go and look as you were in town?

No, I wouldn't have as I was in the car, stuck in traffic, away from Eglington street and overheard 2 passersby saying it. Why would I have gone up to look? :rolleyes:

Perhaps I should have been clearer, what I came on here to ask was not if it was physically closed yesterday but if it was closed for good. Seems it is, which is a shame IMO, it started out with great potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

thaks guys
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69963090

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 raye

Yes a pity about Sam Baileys, had nice breakfast options instead of the usual fry up. Decent salads too. I heard this week it was closed. I was in there recently & yes the service was not great. It wasn't even busy the same day. Wonder what happened?
    Revive is good for lunch, salads, sambos etc. Nice coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

thaks guys

Da Tang Noodle House... REAL chinese food, not the usual crap.
    Friend of mine is Chinese and she won't eat anywhere else
    http://www.datangnoodlehouse.com/

HB

hamsterboy wrote: »

HB
    +1 Da Tang

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Sam Bailey's is closed down? Wow, that seemed to come out of nowhere. Granted, it had been a while since I was in there but I'm pretty sure I saw them advertising for staff a few weeks ago so I would have assumed they were doing all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Thats a pity I used to like that place. The service had gone to sh*te there recently though.

hamsterboy wrote: »

HB

thats great thanks, i dont like chinese myself anymore but herself will be happy with that. ive to find an indian for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

I would agree with the recomendation for Da Tang - lovely place, great service and the food is top notch. If you are looking for an Indian in town then it has to be Kashmir, Im not normally a fan of Indian food but this place is great, food is devouring!! http://kashmir.ie/

ourtrail wrote: »
    I would agree with the recomendation for Da Tang - lovely place, great service and the food is top notch. If you are looking for an Indian in town then it has to be Kashmir, Im not normally a fan of Indian food but this place is great, food is devouring!! http://kashmir.ie/

first place that came up when i googled 'indian galway'

we are heading down on wednesday, is everything open midweek in galway

first place that came up when i googled 'indian galway'

we are heading down on wednesday, is everything open midweek in galway
    Tulsi is the best Indian in town imo. and yes everything is open on a Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

DRakE wrote: »
    O'RIORDANS

Quite literally muck. IMO.
    what.to.do wrote: »
    McSwiggin's is beeeautiful!

Highly over rated, never found it to be anything except ordinary.
    The cellar does lovely food and is very reasonably priced =)

Did they not close down along with Cuba* et al? If they are still open, they do quite reasonably priced food and there would be something to suit most tastes.

Asian Tea House is a nice chinese, think they promote themselves as being MSG free.

I had a very good early bird in Vina Mara before and it was lovely. Sad to hear about Mustard in The Bridge Mills going downhill, I found their stuff to be quite consistent.

• Advertisement

Quite literally muck. IMO.

Highly over rated, never found it to be anything except ordinary.

Did they not close down along with Cuba* et al? If they are still open, they do quite reasonably priced food and there would be something to suit most tastes.

Asian Tea House is a nice chinese, think they promote themselves as being MSG free.

I had a very good early bird in Vina Mara before and it was lovely. Sad to hear about Mustard in The Bridge Mills going downhill, I found their stuff to be quite consistent.
    +1 on the bold type.

And yeah the Cellar has reopened in the last couple of months with new owners and a new menu.

Advertisement