Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating in Galway City Centre

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭MiniSquish

Not surprised about Sam Bailey's at all. Not entirely sure but my friend was working there a couple of months ago and said that they weren't doing as well as they used to and that staff were waiting long periods of time to get paid. Maybe that's why the service got so bad? Used to work on Eglinton Street and get a takeaway lunch from Sam Baileys, found the food very tasty but expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

theintern wrote: »
    I'm assuming you're talking about mustard, it's changed a bit recently, it's now the millhouse and they've changed chef or something. For lunch these days they give you 3 chips. Literally 3. They're huge chips now, but you can't help but feel a bit ripped off.

They also used to do lovely burgers, loads of different ones, but the new menu has just one on it.

Clearly, I need to eat out in town more often because Mustard was one of my favourite places to go for lunch and I had no idea that there was a recent name change. Or maybe I should pay more heed to the names of places I walk past.
    I had noticed a change to the menu a few months ago and I hadn't though it as nice as the variety they had when they were on Middle Street and when they first moved to the Bridge Mills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

LucyBliss wrote: »
    Clearly, I need to eat out in town more often because Mustard was one of my favourite places to go for lunch and I had no idea that there was a recent name change. Or maybe I should pay more heed to the names of places I walk past.
    I had noticed a change to the menu a few months ago and I hadn't though it as nice as the variety they had when they were on Middle Street and when they first moved to the Bridge Mills.

The original Mustard was the best version of it IMO, it's just gone downhill since the owners opened more places. Mustard was brilliant when they were there all the time, now it's just Aussie staff in all their establishments, I think the chef/owners have spread themselves too thin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Pity about Sam Baileys,the owners were really nice but it's hard on that street to make a business work and they are surrounded by coffee shops.
    Feel sorry for them as they tried their best but the boom fueled it and the bust sunk it unf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sineadd87

<if you have an issue with an establishment, signing onto boards to vent isn't the solution.
    PM me if you have questions, biko>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 gnilhsa

the trappers inn!!! great food! they do carvery durin the day and its always really good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Quite literally muck. IMO.
    Ah I dunno, I enjoyed it.

Ate in Gourmet Tart today, very nice, mad loud in there with all the hard surfaces, nothing to soak up the hellish horror of the screaming children but food was fab, mmm desserts.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

The Quays Restaurant. I visit regurarly, ALWAYS they keep proper quality, and always you get what you expect. Their menu hasnt changed since generations,
    proper irish meals, simple but tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ahem! Last generation the Quays didnt have a menu (or a restaurant).
    It was just the lil front bar.
    Surprised you got the job after doing so little research.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

theintern wrote: »
    I'm assuming you're talking about mustard, it's changed a bit recently, it's now the millhouse and they've changed chef or something. For lunch these days they give you 3 chips. Literally 3. They're huge chips now, but you can't help but feel a bit ripped off.

They also used to do lovely burgers, loads of different ones, but the new menu has just one on it.

Mustard used to do a great soup and sandwich deal. Choose any from the menu, choose bread type (focaccia etc), toasted with a choice of soups for ~€5.95. Excellent food and a good price.

Went into the "Millhouse" hoping for the same offer recently but there was no options, only ham and cheese toastie with veg soup. The soup tasted out of a packet and the toastie came loaded with mustard (maybe a tribute to the old place). Even the cheese was plasticy. Couldn't finish it. Massive drop in quality.

foto joe wrote: »
    Mustard used to do a great soup and sandwich deal. Choose any from the menu, choose bread type (focaccia etc), toasted with a choice of soups for ~€5.95. Excellent food and a good price.

Went into the "Millhouse" hoping for the same offer recently but there was no options, only ham and cheese toastie with veg soup. The soup tasted out of a packet and the toastie came loaded with mustard (maybe a tribute to the old place). Even the cheese was plasticy. Couldn't finish it. Massive drop in quality.

Yep, Mustard was great because one or both chef/owners used to be there most of the time. Now they have 4 or 5 places is it? And the standard has slipped a lot in the Millhouse at least, the Oslo is a bit hit and miss too, the Cottage is still good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 alimegs

Pillo Hotel on the headford road, old marriott do a €5 special for lunch most days, food is tasty to, it's generally a curry or something tasty.

Have to agree with Mustard, food there is lovely, how's about the new chinese buffet at the Galway shopping centre. €8.95 or somethin for all you can eat, can't be bad, heard a few good reviews to

Galway is littered with good places to eat

Advertisement