Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant visit certain websites?

• 28-05-2011 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭

hey guys wish you can give me a hand here.

basically everything was fine with my upc broadband (12mb) until yesterday, some websites i couldnt visit anymore, it says The connection has timed out(linkedin, gtalk, teamliquid and many random websites). But i can visit them by proxy:confused: i am 100% sure that i am not banned by these websites (strangest thing is my gtalk doesnt work!).

any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

seraphimvc wrote: »
    hey guys wish you can give me a hand here.

basically everything was fine with my upc broadband (12mb) until yesterday, some websites i couldnt visit anymore, it says The connection has timed out(linkedin, gtalk, teamliquid and many random websites). But i can visit them by proxy:confused: i am 100% sure that i am not banned by these websites (strangest thing is my gtalk doesnt work!).

any thoughts?

Possible DNS issue. Have you set static DNS addresses? If not, try setting them to the Google DNS servers - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

was hoping i dont need to mess with the dns :( can anyone guide me through please? havent done this in ages. many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

Full instructions here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Beaten to it. ;)

ok guys i tried it with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in my ipv4. still the same problem. i still couldnt access some websites (like wikipedia i just tried :S).

any thoughts? the weirdest thing is i can go to any website as usual if i use a proxy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If on Windows OS, open a command window
    Start -> Run -> cmd
    Type tracert www.wikipedia.org
    See if it breaks down at some point.
    Also try ping www.wiipedia.org
    Replace wikipedia.com with any other site you have problems connecting to.

this is what i get, i have no idea what it meant, quite alot of timed out.

called upc today and i cant get a solution from them :( i am using my own router so they told me to call Belkin instead. can anyone help??

this is what i get from my ipconfig /all:
    IP address: 192.168.2.5(Preferred)

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1

Name Servers.192.168.2.1

and this showed up when i tried to setup the static connection (in the router):

Ip 89.101.220.166
    isp gateway address 89.101.220.1

press apply but still the same, cannot visit wikipedia etc. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

i am using my own router so they told me to call Belkin instead.

Hmm, Belkin = Trouble, most often. UPC will not provide help with any product that they didn't supply, so unless you remove that router, they can't go any further.

In order to rule it out, connect the modem directly to your computer, then re-try the websites. If you have a static IP set on your PC, remove it and set to automatic. If it works, then the router is at fault. If it doesn't, then re-try UPC, and tell them you are connected directly to the modem. It will be their problem in that case.

this is the weirdest thing i have ever seen D: i directly connected to the upc modem now and it works!!! ill do a reset to the router and see if it works again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

called upc today and i cant get a solution from them :( i am using my own router so they told me to call Belkin instead

And they were right...
    Belkin is a pos

i am seriously having to thought to burn this router D: i reset it and it is still the same! well, it improves abit, i can open a wiki page now but it takes ages to load and the page seems to be loaded incompleted (see attached). and many websites take longer to load than usual. it seems like something to do with this router blocking the traffic.

thoughts?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Did you change any settings in the router before this problem began?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭burrentech

Do you just have the one PC connected?

Does the slow response affect all PCs in the same way?

What is your operating system?

The issue could also be related to security settings on the router. What model of Belkin Router?

no i have changed nothing before this happened. model is F5D8236. feel weird lately that loading some websites is slow and then suddenly i cant access to some websites. now i just found out that i cant get on linkedin :S

this happened both on my laptop and desktop (win7 64bit) which means we can rule out the updates/changes etc cant screw up both machines at the same time.

There does seem to be a number of issues on the various forums regarding this model. You can check the Belkin site in case the firmware needs to be updated. The link should take you directly to your model #. There seem to be 4 different versions of the firmware so be sure you have the right one selected before going through any update if its required.

You will need to modify the settings as the Belkin will only be a 'bridge' between your PCs and the UPC router.

In the searches I did the general opinion of Belkin products doesn't seem good :(

lol ill try to mess with it for awhile.

meanwhile, can anyone recommend me any router with fair price tag? ill usually use amazon for its free shipping.

Never easy to recommend, especially if it goes wrong! :eek:

The Linksys brand is owned by Cisco, the biggest network company out there.

I've used Netgear with reliable results too.

ok just an update in case people search this thread in future...after annoyed me for a few days this router decided to act good now @_@ nothing i did works and suddenly it is working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Smithzer

Sorry for thread robbing but I have just moved from Digiweb 7mb to Eircom 24mb I am having the same issues, I use GG.com Forum for racing tips and it takes 4-5 times now to load the page. Any advice welcome.

• Advertisement

do a reset and mess around with the wireless setting (auto ->20Mhz only, different channel, turn off some firewall etc) and then pray. i totally feel like networking is an emo technology lol

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Smithzer

do a reset and mess around with the wireless setting (auto ->20Mhz only, different channel, turn off some firewall etc) and then pray. i totally feel like networking is an emo technology lol

Cheers mate its wired desktop, I have reduced the FW settings so I'll see how I fare out, S

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

I'm having the exact same issues. I recently moived house and changed isp from Imagine to Magnet, with their router (wired, no wireless). Now there are various sites I can't access; eg speedtest.net and couldn't log in to my online banking.
    Nothinbg else has changed. Same computer, antivirus etc. I spoke to Magnet but they say everything is fine their end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

this is what i get from my ipconfig /all:
    IP address: 192.168.2.5(Preferred)

Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1

Name Servers.192.168.2.1

I notice in the above setup that your PC appears to be using your router as a DNS server.

Or rather it's using the router as a DNS proxy.

This can be a good idea if you have several devices on your network and change ISP or just want to change DNS provider. All you have to do is change the DNS setting in the router, rather than having to update it on every device. (this is also essential if you have a dual wan router)

So the first thing you need to know is to switch to a different DNS provider you either need to make the change on your router, or turn off DNS proxy on the router and make the change in your network settings on the PC.

My guess is that putting google dns settings into your router will fix the problem.

I've seen a similar problem before and I figured it was due the fact that my DNS proxy (Netgear router in this case) worked ok with recursive DNS servers, but didn't work with iterative DNS servers (it was failing on the first reply, rather than doing a second lookup)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961401.aspx

I presume google works recursively, but that UPC may be iterative.
    In any case for my DNS proxy Google DNS worked and my ISPs DNS didn't

My solution was to either to tell the router to use Google DNS or to turn off the DNS proxy service.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭horse7

can a netopia modem be used with upc.(use one at present with eircom )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

horse7 wrote: »
    can a netopia modem be used with upc.(use one at present with eircom )

No it's a dsl modem and upc is cable and therefore requires a cable modem.

Advertisement