Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garra Rufa Fish Pedicures

• 28-05-2011 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Any have this done yet? Would love some opinions on it and how effective it is? Apparently there going to be all the rage but Im not sure if tis going to take off over here :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Is that where they nibble all the dry skin off your feet?

I don't care how weird it is, I want one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Got it done in Galway. Cant say whether it is effective or not as I dont think I have much dead skin on my feet! Worth doing just for the experience though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I would hate to have little fish nibbling at my toes, I think I would actually cry.

I think it's pretty disgusting that the same fish who could have eaten someones fungus off their feet with could then be nibbling someone elses feet.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the pools are fitted with special lights etc, i presume to check for infection but ew definitely not for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Quiet Life

Hi Smiley Surfer,

I went for a fish pedicure with a friend a few months ago and it was great craic. Yes there is a certain freak out factor but you soon used to it and having a friend there helps. My feet felt softer afterwards but it would take a few sessions to eradicate any real problem areas. All in all a good girlie activity.
    Hope this helps:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Lister1 wrote: »
    Got it done in Galway. Cant say whether it is effective or not as I dont think I have much dead skin on my feet! Worth doing just for the experience though...

Where abouts in Galway? Thought it was only places in Dublin that did it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

They seem to be popping up everywhere now- there's a whole spa dedicated to it in Dublin.

I'm dying to get it done, I'm always barefoot so my feet are terrible. My folks had it done on holiday last year and loved it. My dad had it done twice in the one week cos it left his feet feeling lovely, and he HATES his feet being touched. He wouldn't be your typical "spa" man either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Castlecourt shopping centre upstairs has somewhere doing it was watching the other day considering it also, trying to get over the squimishness.

So weird - your thinking about something and there it is on boards, like magic happens all the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

I'd give it bash myself, they have deals on citydeals etc a while back for a tenner wouldnt pay more than that for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Emm511

Had it done yesterday in Stephens green place called Treat yer Feet!! Quiet freaked out by fish so it was a bit of a challlenge, got over it quick enough it felt tickleish at the start then just soothing to be honest. I notice a difference in my feet there a lot smoother not as rough as normal ill go back and get it done again before my holiday and it was only €12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

What temperature is the water?!

I hate cold water :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Got it done in SE Asia at Christmas. Didn't find it very effective for hard skin removal compared to a decent pedicure but there is a bit of novelty about it.

Wouldn't recommend it if you are in any way ticklish. Water not cold, about room temp or slightly warmer. Do not pay more than 12 euro for it as its not worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I saw some people getting it done in Stephen's Green centre today. The idea of it creeps me out! I have heard good reviews, but I don't think I'd enjoy it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

jokettle....did you see how much it was in St. Stephens green? Pay day is next week....I might treat myself! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Where abouts in Galway? Thought it was only places in Dublin that did it!

Downstairs in the Eyre Square Shopping centre. Its just down the ramp as you come into the shopping centre from the Eyre Square entrance. Its called FOOTPOOL and its 10 euro for a session. They have a facebook page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Tayla wrote: »
    I would hate to have little fish nibbling at my toes, I think I would actually cry.

I think it's pretty disgusting that the same fish who could have eaten someones fungus off their feet with could then be nibbling someone elses feet.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the pools are fitted with special lights etc, i presume to check for infection but ew definitely not for me!

That never occurred to me - definitely wouldn't go near it now, thanks! And yuck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

jokettle....did you see how much it was in St. Stephens green? Pay day is next week....I might treat myself! :P

I'm afraid not, I was too busy eating my ice cream to take in details like that :o

E.T. wrote: »
    That never occurred to me - definitely wouldn't go near it now, thanks! And yuck!

Can't use it if you have fungal infections, verucas etc

Can't use it if you have fungal infections, verucas etc

But how would they know? Another Irish forum I participate on said that (the salons they used ) ask if you have any but don't check,and one woman said her husband said they ate his athletes foot off (her words not mine :eek:)

I don't really know anything about athletes foot, is it not something that would be visible when they wash your feet? Also, and I don't mean to be rude in any way whatsoever, but there is an element of 'hearsay' in your post :)

Sorry, just reread your post. Checking your feet is an important factor, and something that they do in galway

• Advertisement

I don't really know anything about athletes foot, is it not something that would be visible when they wash your feet? Also, and I don't mean to be rude in any way whatsoever, but there is an element of 'hearsay' in your post :)

Oh of course, I accept that,
    I haven't been myself but as I said it was another Irish forum where they were discussing it on and it's also banned in a good few American states because of the potential risks of passing infection.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I was considering it but hadn't actually thought of that element before. I got a verruca a couple of years ago from a public swimming pool and it took over 6 months of very painful treatments to get rid of it so now I won't go to public swimming pools and I'm really careful about my feet.
    Think I'll steer clear of this after all! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Sorry, just reread your post. Checking your feet is an important factor, and something that they do in galway

Oh, well, that's alright then :rolleyes:

A beautician (if they're even a qualified beautician, a lot of those fish pedicure places don't offer any other services and seem to be run by lay people) is NOT qualified to identify skin diseases and infections.

There are plenty of infectious skin diseases which are hard to spot, especially in the early stages. Scabies is one example that springs to mind.

For these reasons, I wouldn't go near a fish pedicure. I also think it's pretty cruel for the fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'll be getting one in the next couple of weeks in the place in Galway.

Can't wait, heard so many good things about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I had to look it up. WHAT THE HELL?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

eth0_ wrote: »
    Oh, well, that's alright then :rolleyes:

A beautician (if they're even a qualified beautician, a lot of those fish pedicure places don't offer any other services and seem to be run by lay people) is NOT qualified to identify skin diseases and infections.

Actually they are, as part of the Beauty Therapy course you are trained in identifying skin diseases and disorders. Obviously we cant treat them but we can certainly identify them and advise the client to seek medical advice.

Thanks for all the replies! I got a voucher on city deal and am going after work with my sister for a girly treat! Id say Il freak out for the first few minutes and see from there! I have really bad tickles!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

lubie76 wrote: »
    Got it done in SE Asia at Christmas. Didn't find it very effective for hard skin removal compared to a decent pedicure but there is a bit of novelty about it.

Wouldn't recommend it if you are in any way ticklish. Water not cold, about room temp or slightly warmer. Do not pay more than 12 euro for it as its not worth it!

thats me out, i once acidently elbowed my ex in the eye as he kept tickling my feet

:( Went yesterday and it was rotten!!
    The fish arent the small skinny white guys you see when you google , they were big fat black ones, about the size of a standard middle finger! :eek: A bit smaller than the ones In the image below, they are black and there was just SOOO many!! :eek:
    We went to the Escape Spa ( Jurys on the Western road) and when we went in the therapist was doing a manicure in the reception area. She didnt even acknowledge us so we just sat down. After about 10 or 15 mins she finished the manicure and directed us to the couch by the tanks.
    To give you an idea of the size of the tanks, if you stood up in them you would be wet up to your knees. I sat at the tank on the left which the therapist said was the 'more active' one as my sister was quite nervous. It was only then when I looked in the tank and saw 100 + fish I felt uneasy! .I should have really taken a photo but I was so preoccupied I forgot.

So there was no pre treatment or checking of our feet , it was just taking off the shoes and socks and thowing our feet in. ( A bit weird for a so called 5 star spa)

So we were a bit reluctant to just put our feet in as there were so many so the therapist said she would put her hand in to show us what they do. She put in one, they swarmed really instantly over to her hand and she yelped saying '' oh my god, dont want to freak you out but he just bit me! and dya see the huge ones down the bottom? Dont mind them there just sleeping''! ( aaaahhh!!!! :rolleyes::eek:)

Anyway she said if you start by just putting your heels in and gradually put your whole foot in that its easier. I put my heels in with out looking and its really hard to describe the feeling. They say its a sucking motion but really it was a cross between that and nibbling and at one stage it did hurt a little.

When I looked down there was literally about 40+ fish on each heel which freaked the s*** out of me so I took the right out again, After a few mins I put both feet in completly ( I had bothered to go so I might aswel experience what its like while im here)

I only lasted about 10 seconds and still quiver when I think about it! They swarm to your feet and it actually made me feel really claustrophobic, like I was being covered in creepy crawlies or something. So after a few seconds I took my feet out and literally had to shake off one of the fish!!

The therapist didnt bother giving us towels or slippers or anything so I literally had to walk across reception with wet bare feet back to my shoes.

Sorry about the essay, just thought Id share my experience with you all. Its not for everyone, definitly not for me anyway!! And I have a spare voucher, if anyone wants to pm me Il post it on because I certanly wont be using it!! :eek::p The whole family had a great laugh at our expense when we came home!!

search%3Fq%3Dgarra%2Brufa%2Bfish%2Bpedicure%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1003%26bih%3D542%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=171&page=2&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:15&tx=107&ty=61

So there was no pre treatment or checking of our feet , it was just taking off the shoes and socks and thowing our feet in. ( A bit weird for a so called 5 star spa)

I can't believe they don't even get people to wash their feet :eek:
    Slim chances of them checking for fungal infections then!

I took my feet out and literally had to shake off one of the fish!!

OMG that would give me nightmares :eek:

search%3Fq%3Dgarra%2Brufa%2Bfish%2Bpedicure%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1003%26bih%3D542%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=171&page=2&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:15&tx=107&ty=61

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I think I would actually get sick.

I seen them doing this in St Stephen's Green, Dublin today and it was as smileysurfer described, loads of black fish, reminded me of beetles, uurgh! The people in there with their feet in the tanks didn't seem too phased though.
    Don't think it'd be for me, I couldn't go through months of painful verruca removal treatments again, I'm very careful with my feet now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I first saw this in Tenerife. Couldn't believe it when I saw it first!

Do they change the water after each treatment? I presume they do :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Posy wrote: »
    I seen them doing this in St Stephen's Green, Dublin today and it was as smileysurfer described, loads of black fish, reminded me of beetles, uurgh! The people in there with their feet in the tanks didn't seem too phased though.
    Don't think it'd be for me, I couldn't go through months of painful verruca removal treatments again, I'm very careful with my feet now!!

Where in Stephan's green?

Judging on my experience I sincerly doubt it! Although Im not sure how often they change the water in other places. There was two ladies in directly after us so the tank was definitly not emptied and re filled.

I see ladies getting it at the salon I go to as the tanks are by reception. They have some uv thing and I had a glance at the policy, which involved a lot of cleaning and refilling the tanks during the day as far as I can tell. Wouldn't be for me, but I think some places would be more hygenic about it than smiley's story

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    I see ladies getting it at the salon I go to as the tanks are by reception. They have some uv thing and I had a glance at the policy, which involved a lot of cleaning and refilling the tanks during the day as far as I can tell. Wouldn't be for me, but I think some places would be more hygenic about it than smiley's story

Oh definitly, I didnt look at any policies as I just wanted to be the hell out of there. I think if a more experienced staff member had been on at the time our experience there would have been a lot more positive in some aspects. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I first saw this in Tenerife. Couldn't believe it when I saw it first!

They couldn't possibly. I'd be surprised if they change the water every week - changing tank water is very stressful for fish and can often kill them.

It is revolting. Yet another reason to avoid a fish pedicure.

serenacat wrote: »
    Where in Stephan's green?
    Downstairs in the shopping centre. Looked horrific!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

There's a place in Limerick now for anyone interested. It's in Ellen St. I haven't been so can't comment on what it's like. I don't mind the idea of the fish pedicure at all, but like some others have mentioned my thoughs would be more about hygiene and how clean the water is etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Something similar has been used as a treatment for psoriasis for a while, I considered getting it done before. Except you have to get into the bath with the fish and stay there for ages!

www.skintherapyireland.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I had one done in Barcelona recently and I have to say that I loved the whole experience. To me, it's an entirely natural process. After all, you often see little birds and little fish cleaning bigger animals and fish. On our farm at home, some of the collies will also lick your bare feet any chance they get. When you keep fish, the state of the water will tell you about the health of the fish, so make sure that the water is fresh and moving.

Anyway, when I went to the spa, my feet were first washed and checked out. I have the beginning of a corn on one of my feet and she spotted that.

Then I was taken over to the tanks, which were bigger than I had anticipated. The therapist gently guided my feet in and they were immediately covered by the little fish (less than a little finger in size). I had to laugh - it reminded me of one of those piranha attack scenes but far far cuter.

The sensation was like a very gentle pins and needles. I didn't find it ticklish at all, despite having ticklish feet. I actually found it really relaxing to sit and watch the little fish move around going for different spots.

The therapist was careful lifting my feet out. The fish seemed to swim away no problems but she did check the underneath, possibly for determined hangers-on!!

Afterwards, I noticed that some parts of my feet were definitely cleaner but I'd say more sessions would be needed for the tougher areas. I'd definitely go again for the fun of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

@smileysurfer, I'm sorry but your story made me queasy and my crunchy nut cornflakes haven't quite settled..your story sounds so awful! I would have totally died if I were you, and to leave ye to pad across the wet reception?? That's ridiculous!

*shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

my brother got it done in thailand and he had mossie bites at the time which thet love so he ended up with lots of blisyters. so he said make sure you dont have cuts of any kind:eek:

also re hygiene:i would imagine fishes mouths to be sterile? id be much more worried to have a pedi/manicure where they re use nail files/ dont use new brushes for varnish...all the nail infections out there:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Feet are submerged in a fish tank and the fish nibble away any hard skin.

The thought of that is... just... waaaaah! :eek:

Anyone have it done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

I was totally intrigued by this and wanted to have a look at it....I was a little scared that I would be ticklish and stamp on the little guys by accident. But then I read a couple of things about infections being spread from person to person by the fish and that a number of them were being closed down in the UK. Totally put me off :/

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72461971

Theres my experience and feedback from other boards users also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Going to try this out on Saturday, Sole Therapy is charging €12 for 15 minutes - will see how I get on, only hearing good things about it in fairness :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Oh jesus. After having a read of this thread am not so sure now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

amdublin wrote: »
    What temperature is the water?!

I hate cold water :o
    Love how water temperature is your main concern! :D;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement