Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert - English Poetry Poll 2011

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dbstf

I only focused on Boland and Wordsworth because following the pattern from previous years, there has never been a repetition of the same poets in 2 consecutive years and the new poet on the course always comes up that being Wordsworth and since Boland will only be on the course this year and next year there is a good chance she will come up. I hope I'm not wrong :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Armed with my knowledge of Boland, Frost and Dickinson.
    I now leave it up to fate.
    If the only poet we've done that comes up is Kavanagh, I can say goodbye A. Or B. Or C1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Dbstf wrote: »
    has never been a repetition of the same poets in 2 consecutive years
    Wrong. Plath came up in 2003 and 2004.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Wrong. Plath came up in 2003 and 2004.
    And Longley 2001 -2002
    And Bishop 2001- 2002

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Eek, now I'm rather worried. They couldn't repeat Kavanagh AND Yeats...it just can't happen.

• Advertisement

Eek, now I'm rather worried. They couldn't repeat Kavanagh AND Yeats...it just can't happen.
    Please god no.
    Back in 2001 - 2002 the test was in its teething stages. They wouldn't do something like that again.
    *hopefully*

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Would be funny though to see the horrible quality of answers , people wouldn't even know the names of the poems let alone quotes. I studied three very well Frost ,Boland & Wordsworth , im fairly confident two if not three of them will be up tomorrow aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

lads ye have me all worried about these poets. ok i get the poem so qoutes are no problem. ahh. look i did good on paper 2 in the mocks. i can squeeze past it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

really want Kavanagh!
    so simple, he talks about everyday objects and makes the ordinary extraordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Looking at this thread, I'm getting worried now. Could it be possible that none of boland, Dickinson and wordsworth come up? If that happens, I can say good bye to an A. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

:/ If Frost, Dickinson or Boland don't come up, there'll be a lot of unhappy people.
    Maybe throw in Wordsworth and Hopkins too as the other two predictions.
    Out of the prediction poets, usually how many come up?

... Frost and Dickinson I know very well. I feel I'm pretty ready to answer any question on them. Boland, I could get away with, but certainly losing a few marks.

I feel so disappointed in myself :P I said I wouldn't be silly and I'd have myself covered. Now look at me. Frost, Dickinson, barely Boland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Gavarn

Exothermic wrote: »
    I feel so disappointed in myself :P I said I wouldn't be silly and I'd have myself covered. Now look at me. Frost, Dickinson, barely Boland.

I'm in the same boat, as well as all my year.. Everyone depending on Boland, Dickinson and Frost!

Going to be VERY awkward in the exam room if none of them come up. I know I'll probably just cry :( , or write a boland essay and change all the names to whatever poet comes up :o

I hope for everyones sake, Boland, Dickinson and Frost turn up! Maybe that will be the twist, two females? :D

Good Luck today everyone, if boland/dickinson/frost doesn't come up a lot of people will need it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Wordsworth - VERY well.
    Dickinson was revised 2 weeks ago and will be revised this morning.
    Boland was known in abundance last year so will revise quickly this morning.

Thinking of leaving it there to focus on Hamlet... i always liked Hopkins for some reason and think he could well come up. Could bluff a question on yeats if i needed too.

Best of luck everyone, William Wordsworth just posted this on his facebook
    THE CAR JUST ARRIVED. THE CART JUST ARRIVED. THE STATE CAR JUST ARRIVED OH MY GOD IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING.
    THIS IS WHAT Emily Dickinson AND MYSELF ARE DANCING TOO RIGHT NOW. . I'M COMING HOME! WORDSWORTHS COMING HOME BITCCCCHHHHESSSSSSSS

hahaahha Boland also said she was just leaving the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Dbstf wrote: »
    there has never been a repetition of the same poets in 2 consecutive years :p

Sylvia Plath in 2003/04. . .bit late to rethink your strategy, though

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

...yes, it can. . .70 possibilities, and an SEC trying to cut out predictions in English. . .literally any combination could come up. . .even the dreaded Yeats, Kavanagh,Rich,Hopkins combo. . .just as likely to come up as the Boland,Wordsworth,Dickenson,Frost combo that evryone wants and hopes for. . .

. . .my only hope is that Boland comes up, because I'm not doing her. . .and I have my 5. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

If Kavanagh, Yeat, Rich and Hopkins come up, I'll cry. I only learnt the bare mininum for Kavanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 arboroia

This might help, Yeats probably won't come up after being both on the contingency and real paper last year:

Our school they were doing a test about receiving the papers, so the SEC was sending last years contingency paper, and our vice-principal gave them out to us 6th years for study. :D

So the 2010 contingency paper had the following questions:
    Q1: Michael Longley - "Michael Longley's sensitive poetry has the capacity to alter our perception of the world" Agree?
    Q2: T.S. Eliot - "The reader must first appreciate T.S.Eliot's poetic style in order to understand his unique view of the world" Agree/Disagree
    Q3: Eavan Boland: - "Eavan Boland's poetry is enriched by personal observations that are delivered in an uncomplicated fashion". Do you agree with this assessment of Boland's poetry?
    Q4: W.B. Yeats: "Yeats poetry is about what attracted and repelled him in life, and this approach is conveyed in a unique manner" Agree? Use both themes & stylistic features.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Tara_Rxxx

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Hoping for :

Single Text - Wuthering Heights - Question on destructive relationships

Comparative - Dont mind really

Poetry - Boland/Frost

Better go cram everything - if i can - :rolleyes:

Laters!

Ha exact same for me, but i'm doing Hamlet! :)

arboroia wrote: »
    Q3: Eavan Boland: - "Eavan Boland's poetry is enriched by personal observations that are delivered in an uncomplicated fashion". Do you agree with this assessment of Boland's poetry?

Wonder could this be the one for Boland?! Hard enough question tho... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ak4

arboroia wrote: »

if something like that comes up am sorted :P
    heres hoping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

oh god - boland is soooo highly tipped again this year ;)

god i feel smug for not doing her last year :p

...yes, it can. . .70 possibilities, and an SEC trying to cut out predictions in English. . .literally any combination could come up. . .even the dreaded Yeats, Kavanagh,Rich,Hopkins combo. . .just as likely to come up as the Boland,Wordsworth,Dickenson,Frost combo that evryone wants and hopes for. . .

. . .my only hope is that Boland comes up, because I'm not doing her. . .and I have my 5. . .

Yeats and Kavanagh are the 2 easiest poets to write about in the world...

This waiting is actually killing me, cannot wait just to get in and start it!:P

Tara_Rxxx wrote: »
    Wonder could this be the one for Boland?! Hard enough question tho... :confused:

manageable tho

ak4 wrote: »
    manageable tho

Yeah...but i'm not a fan of these compound questions, makes them that bit harder to get your head around

Tara_Rxxx wrote: »
    Yeah...but i'm not a fan of these compound questions, makes them that bit harder to get your head around

least if she comes up i chat write a few pages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Does anyone else have this feeling that Boland won't come up. It just seems like something they would do cause they know that everyone would tip it. It just seems a little too easy if she does come you yano...

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I'm confident with Boland, Rich, Yeats and Frost. If none of those come up, I could take a stab at Kavanagh but it'd be a fairly poor effort :(

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

Bit early I suppose but anyone know who came up????

irish_man wrote: »
    Bit early I suppose but anyone know who came up????

dickinson,boland, frost, yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Most people should be pretty happy!! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement