Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert - English Poetry Poll 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

If some retard examiner handed out the wrong paper today I think I may do something I regret... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

i'm predicting
    Wordsworth - a question about his sister in his poetry
    Dickinson - maybe something about her themes and death
    Frost - probably a tricky enough question
    and Hopkins or someone who was up last year like kavanagh

probably totally wrong there but sure just what i think

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

There's no way you'd get asked about a poet's sister...

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭GSI

Would it be awful risky just knowing Hopkins and dickinson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

I'm hoping for Frost or Dickinson .
    If you're going to be spending 3h 30 mins doing an exam , might aswell enjoy it !:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

If a question comes up about Frost regarding sadness these are perfect.

Aquainted with the night
    Mending wall (Neighbour not wanting to be his friend)
    The Road Not Taken (Took wrong decision, sad)
    Additional - Spring Pools (Maybe he is the flower being dominated by trees)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 PaddyP056

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Doubting Boland will be as specific as people think. They have to take into account that not everyone studies certain poems. Question shouldn't come up on Mythology alone because Love and The Pomegranate are the only ones that really are based on mythology (enough to write about anyway). Same with history.
    I'd say if anything, how she combines history+mythology to convey woman's matters.

Yeah true. I think they're more likely to ask about her universal themes, so that means you can talk about This Moment and War Horse aswel but thats just my guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'm gonna focus in on Boland, Dickinson, and Frost now. Wordsworth as a save me. Can't see myself realistically doing a good answer on Yeats/Kavanagh. It's a risk but I hope it pays off.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

I know nothings definite but Im studying her and dickinson so should i be covered?

If none of Boland, Dickinson or Frost come up it will be the biggest shaft of all time. You can say "you should have learned 5 bleh bleh bleh". Theyre probably the 3 most tipped poets to come up

• Advertisement

I'd still have Wordsworth though, and Kavanagh at a stretch. Honestly can't really see Kavanagh AND Yeats coming up for a second year.

However, if it was some evil combination like Rich, Hopkins, Kavanagh, and Yeats, I'd cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

NO poet is guaranteed to come up. Even the reasoning last year for why she was definite was pretty weak if you ask me. They could quite easily decide to not have a female poet this year, or put Rich on again.

The only way your guaranteed is with five.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I know nothings definite but Im studying her and dickinson so should i be covered?
    No, Boland is not definitely up tomorrow.

The only way to be *absolutely* sure of getting a poet you have studied is to do five.

The lower you go under that number, the greater the risk ...

I know the questions been asked and answered but I'd just like to point out it's definitely not definately.... I wouldn't be a grammar nazi under normal circumstances but provided that it's the day before paper II I think I@m justified...? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Paud.....

ara 3 will do ya...thats all im doin...

1. Boland
    2&3. Frost and Kavanagh in no particular order!!

it would be awful harsh luck if one of them didnt come up!!

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    I know the questions been asked and answered but I'd just like to point out it's definitely not definately.... I wouldn't be a grammar nazi under normal circumstances but provided that it's the day before paper II I think I@m justified...? :(
    If we all decided to turn on grammar Nazi mode here there'd be a lot of corrections all around :pac:

Cydoniac wrote: »
    However, if it was some evil combination like Rich, Hopkins, Kavanagh, and Yeats, I'd cry.
    That's a list of pure evil. I'd be stuck doing Hopkins :(

I dunno, there just seems to be something LOGICAL about knowing Boland, Dickinson, Frost, and Wordsworth. One of them just seems to be the kind of poet that will come up. I'm getting paranoid. Is it worth cramming in one more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I'm hoping to do Hopkins, but I think the chance of Yeats, Rich AND Kavanagh coming up is pretty damn low. One poet two years in a row is entirely likely, and two isn't unheard of, but three? However, how evil do we feel the SEC are?

Wouldn't it be awesome if this meant anything? : /

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

They could quite easily decide to not have a female poet this year, or put Rich on again.

Don't even joke about seeing Rich on tomorrow's paper!
    Feminist man hater, ultimately drove her husband to commit suicide.
    Everyone pray for frosty the nature poet to make an appearance! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

I dunno, there just seems to be something LOGICAL about knowing Boland, Dickinson, Frost, and Wordsworth. One of them just seems to be the kind of poet that will come up. I'm getting paranoid. Is it worth cramming in one more?

If none of those mentioned come up their will be be outage I tell ye

Iceboy wrote: »
    You're telling me...our whole class will be off 15% because I'm pretty sure none of them are banking on anyone else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Lads, in fairness if they put on something like Kavanagh, Yeats, Rich and Hopkins they'd have to ACTIVELY be trying to do the shnake on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm in 5th year, but i'm shocked more people haven't chosen Rich! :O, I think her poetry is AMAZING. And very easy to write about!. I'll just hope she's not on your paper tomorrow for your sake, but more so for mine! ;)..

Best of luck! :D

Iceboy wrote: »
    Lads, in fairness if they put on something like Kavanagh, Yeats, Rich and Hopkins they'd have to ACTIVELY be trying to do the shnake on it!

A narrow fellow in the grass you mean?!

I don't think they'd risk it. They want to ensure people aren't taking shortcuts but they're not going to risk having thousands of students doing poorly. They want to maintain a bell curve of grades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

I know Rich's poems at the top of my head,and her themes are really easy, and i think it would be the best poet for me tomorrow ,but i think she came up twice in a row,so don't think so there are any chances of seeing her tomorrow :(

I think I'm gonna go over either Kavanagh or Yeats briefly before I go to sleep tonight, just enough for me to do a basic answer, so I'll have 5 and I'll be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

You're telling me...our whole class will be off 15% because I'm pretty sure none of them are banking on anyone else!
    It's 12.5% ;)
    Ah sure one of them will come up! BELIEVE!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement