Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Pie ideas?

Options
  • 28-05-2011 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭

Hi :) My mam used buy a Denny's chicken pie in Tesco until they stopped making it, and now it's so hard to find anything like it, and it's even harder to figure out how to make it! :eek:

It was just chicken pieces in a white-style sauce with the potato filling on top, but I've no idea what the sauce was. I also hate most vegetables, so any recipe found online just doesn't appeal to me!

If anyone has any ideas, feel free to let me know!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Diced chicken, potato, onion, carrot, can of cambells mushroom.

Brown chicken & onion, parboil potato & carrot, put all in a pie dish, pour over mushroom soup, cover with shortcrust pastry. Egg wash & cook at 200 until pastry is brown.

Allow to cool slightly & serve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Leftover roast chicken, chopped up (For extra special use leftover Aldi Turducken)
    White sauce (either packet or home made (see below))
    Herbs
    Whatever veg you like (a tin of sweetcorn, or some finely chopped carrots are great)
    Topping. You can use either mashed potato, thinly sliced boiled potatoes, or pre-made pastry.

To make the sauce either make it according to the packet or melt 1 soup spoon of butter and mix in 1 soup spoon of white flour, cook it about a minute and add in a pint of milk a splash at a time, mixing well to make sure there are no lumps, simmer until its thickened (this is a base sauce worth while learning to make; you can add herbs to make herb sauce, or grated cheese for cheese sauce, pulverised pepper to make pepper sauce etc.)

Add in the heated chicken bits (heating them in the microwave is fine) and the veg, and lots of herbs (for chicken I like rosemary, thyme, sage and parsley).

Pour all that into an oven proof dish, top with whatever you want to top with and bung it in the oven at about 200C until the top is browned and crispy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Thanks a million guys!

I'll have a go at Kylith's one tomorrow because I'm allergic to mushrooms so that one wouldn't go down well! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i just use a basic white sauce but if i am really lazy, i use a tin of condensed mushroom soup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Or try following kylith's recipe but use chicken stock instead of milk for the sauce (stock cube will do fine) or half milk, half stock.
    It makes it more 'chickeny' and a bit lighter.
    You could also use all stock and add a dash of cream at the end for the best of both worlds.
    Just be careful not to add any other salt if using stock cubes as they are infuriatingly salty!

Or, if you're feeling a bit adventurous try making this pastry. It's really quick and easy, and I'm rubbish with pastry!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Or try following kylith's recipe but use chicken stock instead of milk for the sauce (stock cube will do fine) or half milk, half stock.
    It makes it more 'chickeny' and a bit lighter.
    You could also use all stock and add a dash of cream at the end for the best of both worlds.
    Just be careful not to add any other salt if using stock cubes as they are infuriatingly salty!
    Ooooo, I'm definitely going to go 50/50 with stock and milk on the sauce next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Definitely go for the stock / milk mixture for the sauce, plus I find some cubes of ham go very nicely with it too. Get them to slice you the thickest slice they can manage on the machine and then cut it up into dice and add to the mixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i would add some white wine also :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Thanks! I'll hopefully get around to trying it out this week, but my leaving cert is starting on the 8th June, so if I'm late getting back here to say how it turned out, sorry! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

i would add some white wine also :cool:

Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

This takes a while, but I can say it was THE nicest chicken pie I've ever tasted. I'm sure you could cut some corners to make it quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Definately go with the stock/milk (Veg stock is lovely)

I usually make a chicken and bacon pie in a cream & cheese sauce all in a shortcrust pastry.....

...Im hungry after reading this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

olaola wrote: »
    This takes a while, but I can say it was THE nicest chicken pie I've ever tasted. I'm sure you could cut some corners to make it quicker.

Oops! Forgot the link!
    http://www.greatfood.ie/item_display.asp?cde=2&id=1061

Don't leave out the tarragon, it gives amazing flavour.

Advertisement