Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

John_D80 wrote:
    Is it ok to drive yourself to and from the clinic considering its just a local anesthetic? Would you be physically able to drive without pain even if it is ok?

I drove myself...not a bother...I only had one slight bit of pain in afternoon...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Zipppy wrote: »
    I drove myself...not a bother...I only had one slight bit of pain in afternoon...

Sound. Thanks for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

Do you still get the feeling of shooting your muck?
    Is it just a dribble or still a blast?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

All the exact same for me ,no difference ...

Do you still get the feeling of shooting your muck? Is it just a dribble or still a blast?

Pmsl

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

Pmsl

Honest question?
    We all want to know

Answer is affirmative. ..

And I'm not 48hrs done yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

Honest question?
    We all want to know

I haven't noticed any difference since the op! All good down there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭argentum

Have to say got mine done in town about six years ago and its the best thing I've ever done to improve my sex life.
    No more worries about where the little swimmers go and I even have a letter to prove I'm a Jaffa.
    The pain was fine except about 3 hours after the op and it felt like someone was giving me a quick squeeze on my nuts. Took a pain killer and went to bed next day it was fine .
    Sorry about the next bit of info but after reading a lot about the op before hand I thought I knew everything that would happen but not this. The first time you have a **** after the op you really don't expect to see blood coming out mixed in with your cum, in fact that's the bit that freaked me the most about the whole thing but it only happens twice and then everything went back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

argentum wrote: »
    Sorry about the next bit of info but after reading a lot about the op before hand I thought I knew everything that would happen but not this. The first time you have a **** after the op you really don't expect to see blood coming out mixed in with your cum, in fact that's the bit that freaked me the most about the whole thing but it only happens twice and then everything went back to normal

Yes, that did freak me out a bit as well as I wasn't warned it would happen. A quick Google search put my mind at rest though.

• Advertisement

6 days in...not a bother...gonna run tomorrow. .. boxers are back ;)
    Zero pain or swelling...wee bit of bruising gone....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

:D
    The scientific answer is that sperm is 5% or less of the ejaculate volume, so the volume and strength of ejaculation should be unnoticeable for most men.

This is especially so when you consider that volume and strength varies far more with other factors like hydration and level of stimulation.

Any way of getting around the 18 week wait for all clear?
    Home test kits?
    18 weeks is ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Do you think it's just an arbitrary number?

The "way around it " couldn't be simpler, condoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Do you think it's just an arbitrary number?

The "way around it " couldn't be simpler, condoms.

Pull out

Any way of getting around the 18 week wait for all clear?
    Home test kits?
    18 weeks is ridiculous
    No way around it, doc told me that was the length of time it took for the live sperm to be cleared from your tubes ...18 weeks or 50 to 60 emissions.
    So going on 18 weeks that would be around 3 times a week and even after that there is no guarantee to get the all clear...condoms for now and I don't think I would trust a home testing kit...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Does anyone send off an annual sample to get rechecked just in case?
    Im done almost 3 years and my wife is mad for me to get rechecked. Makes sense i suppose but the place that i got done in wants me to drop the sample in but its not very convenient. Id much rather post it off somewhere if possible.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

.red. wrote: »
    Does anyone send off an annual sample to get rechecked just in case?
    Im done almost 3 years and my wife is mad for me to get rechecked. Makes sense i suppose but the place that i got done in wants me to drop the sample in but its not very convenient. Id much rather post it off somewhere if possible.
    Cheers.

I posted off my sample when I had it done. Can't remember the address it went to but the vasectomy was done by yer man in Blanchardstown village. Think he does Clane as well. Maybe give them a shout for the address?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Got a date for operation, December 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Had this done last Friday, procedure was amazingly quick and straightforward, no real pain once the anaesthetic was administered, dull ache in the area after a few hours (the numbness of the area was the weirdest feeling of all to be fair), nothing some Neurofen didn't sort out though.

Thing is, I've had no real 'pain', no swelling & no bruising, but I do have an uncomfortable 'ache' of sorts and predominantly on one side (I had a single incision just to that side BTW) & am wondering is that the norm 4 days after the job? Now if this ache goes after a few more days & that's as bad as it gets I'd be delighted TBH as its been far less uncomfortable than I had imagined... but sleeping on my stomach is a no no for now as it gets uncomfortable quickly, any kind of bending over to pick stuff off the floor for example is also uncomfortable? Anyone else experience this? If so I'll feel far more relaxed. Just want to get back to normal ASAP really.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    Had this done last Friday, procedure was amazingly quick and straightforward, no real pain once the anaesthetic was administered, dull ache in the area after a few hours (the numbness of the area was the weirdest feeling of all to be fair), nothing some Neurofen didn't sort out though.

Thing is, I've had no real 'pain', no swelling & no bruising, but I do have an uncomfortable 'ache' of sorts and predominantly on one side (I had a single incision just to that side BTW) & am wondering is that the norm 4 days after the job? Now if this ache goes after a few more days & that's as bad as it gets I'd be delighted TBH as its been far less uncomfortable than I had imagined... but sleeping on my stomach is a no no for now as it gets uncomfortable quickly, any kind of bending over to pick stuff off the floor for example is also uncomfortable? Anyone else experience this? If so I'll feel far more relaxed. Just want to get back to normal ASAP really.
    I had that ache for a couple of weeks, I was fine first few days no pain or discomfort and no real bruising ...my bruising only started I think after about day four...not a huge amount but it was a deep purple colour...
    The ache was only in my left side and at times felt like the after affects of a kick in the balls...took me two full weeks to fully recover,I was fine in work and that but to get back to the gym and running took just over the couple of weeks.
    It is a strange feeling but I wouldn't worry to much about it.

I had awful pain during the procedure and bad swelling and bruising afterwards. It looked very sore but wasnt really. Just like a dull ache. One thing i noticed tho was the grip on the "hammock" they gave me loosened a little and the ache would get worse. I got a safety pin, figured out where the comfort zone was and pinned it up tight and all was good again. The pain/ache lasted about 7/8 days with me but i think i was one of the unlucky ones. I only took pain killers if i needed to go out and do anything. Didnt need them for sitting round the house.

I really had no pain or swelling or bruising ... so I guess everyone is different..

I only really had a bit of tenderness for few weeks then 100%...

Few more weeks now till the all clear and then Yaaahhhooooo :)

harr wrote: »
    I had that ache for a couple of weeks, I was fine first few days no pain or discomfort and no real bruising ...my bruising only started I think after about day four...not a huge amount but it was a deep purple colour...
    The ache was only in my left side and at times felt like the after affects of a kick in the balls...took me two full weeks to fully recover,I was fine in work and that but to get back to the gym and running took just over the couple of weeks.
    It is a strange feeling but I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Sounds pretty much exactly the same as me so, except mines on the right hand side.
    Am keen to get back running, but not a chance about it based on how I feel today anyway. Looks like I can write off the next 10 days or so on that score.

Thanks for the feedback though, much appreciated, feel more relaxed now knowing this will pass in time.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Sounds pretty much exactly the same as me so, except mines on the right hand side.
    Am keen to get back running, but not a chance about it based on how I feel today anyway. Looks like I can write off the next 10 days or so on that score.

Thanks for the feedback though, much appreciated, feel more relaxed now knowing this will pass in time.
    No problem ,I went for a run after the week but was just to sore so left it another week...some lads are different ,a friend of mine had no pain at all and was back playing football after 6 days with no side effects at all..
    I was getting worried I still had the pain into my second week so gave my GP a ring and he assured me that it can be 2 or 3 weeks for recovery.

harr wrote: »
    No problem ,I went for a run after the week but was just to sore so left it another week...some lads are different ,a friend of mine had no pain at all and was back playing football after 6 days with no side effects at all..
    I was getting worried I still had the pain into my second week so gave my GP a ring and he assured me that it can be 2 or 3 weeks for recovery.

Ah, thats good to know.

Didn't want to delve too far into the internet 'research' for fear of finding the usual horror stories & scare mongering re: post op pain & permanent pain etc. (hence not really reading this thread) Suspected this ache & discomfor was probably normal enough given what the wee lads have been through but nice to get reassurance from folk that have been there before.

Nice to know I should be fine by Christmas anyway!

The one tip i would give lads is to take a few pictures before you get it done.
    I was told swelling and bruising was to be expected but if they doubled in size to come back. Mine were awfull, looked like something from a horror movie, the swelling was bad but i couldnt decide if they had doubled or not and having a few pics would have helped. The missus wasnt much use as she was almost empty reaching when i asked her to take a look. I took a few pics with the phone cos it was easier to see them that way and decided to not to go back. After everything was back to normal i took a few more and compared them then.
    They hadnt doubled but werent too far off it.
    I probably should have gone back but being a man decided it would be ok and it was.
    I still wish id have taken before pics for comparrison tho as it would have put my mind at ease.

.red. wrote: »
    The one tip i would give lads is to take a few pictures before you get it done.
    I was told swelling and bruising was to be expected but if they doubled in size to come back. Mine were awfull, looked like something from a horror movie, the swelling was bad but i couldnt decide if they had doubled or not and having a few pics would have helped. The missus wasnt much use as she was almost empty reaching when i asked her to take a look. I took a few pics with the phone cos it was easier to see them that way and decided to not to go back. After everything was back to normal i took a few more and compared them then.
    They hadnt doubled but werent too far off it.
    I probably should have gone back but being a man decided it would be ok and it was.
    I still wish id have taken before pics for comparrison tho as it would have put my mind at ease.

Wow. Glad I hadnt read that before getting it done. How long did it take for the swelling to get that bad? Sounds bloody awful.

Wow. Glad I hadnt read that before getting it done. How long did it take for the swelling to get that bad? Sounds bloody awful.

I seem to have been very unlucky but the pain wasnt bad. Getting it done was a 10/10 pain but as soon as he was done the pain was gone. It was just uncomfortable and once i sorted the hammock i was fine. The swelling and bruising started to go down after about 7/8 days id say and they were back to normal after about 2 weeks. I seem to have been the sorst case of anyone ive spoken to since and even at that id have no probs getting it done again if it hadnt have worked. It looked a lot worse than it was.
    The worst part was at my sons birthday party after 3 days. We were at an indoor play place and one of the kids got stuck up the top and wouldnt come down the slide. His mother asked me to go up for him and i couldnt figure out how to say no. Ha ha. I had to climb up and sit him on my lap to bring him down the slide. My wife asked me was ok cos i was white. I told the mother a few weeks later and she got a great laugh about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

After about 3 years of discussions with my wife,I have decided to get the snip. She has the coil at the moment and it hasn't been kind to her.
    I'm just basically looking for advice.
    Do I approach my gp about this or where go I go to get the ball rolling
    Is it painful?
    Any other advice, I really walking into this blind so any help would be great.

Advertisement