Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm going to allow this thread to continue as a serious discussion. This is not the place for gifs, one-liners and other nonsense.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Seriously tho you're GP wil set it up for you and whilst I haven't had the balls to have the procedure myself ( pardon the pun ) a good friend has and he described the procedure as quite simple and straight forward with a dull ache like some one had flicked you in the nads for about a week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I know a few that have got it done, all went fine.

However one chap i worked with, he had some type of reaction and had balls the the size of grapefruits for over a week, however it worked and he's no more kids..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Stheno wrote: »

Thanks Stheno.

I've merged the threads.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

I didnt bother going thru my gp. I figured it was probably gonna cost me €50 just for him to make a phonecall that i could make myself.
    I googled it for cork, rang a few places and booked myself in. Some places wanted a consultation first, others didnt. I had to get my wife to sign a form saying she knew i was doing it and gave her consent. I drove myself in and out. Make sure you have a few ibprofen in the pocket to take on the way home.
    I had very bad pain getting it done. It was horrendous but only lasted 6/7 seconds and i had it maybe 5/6 times. I think it was when he was at the tubes but i zoned out what he was saying and listened to the radio. The doc told me i had very sensitive testicles which for some reason i found funny and the little giggle to myself blocked the pain for another few seconds.
    I had bad swelling and bruising afterwards but very little pain. Just a dull ache. It looked really painfull but it was fine.
    Ive spoken to others about it and they had very little pain getting it done and only a little bruising and swelling afterwards.
    I paid €500 and it included the cost of getting 2 samples tested in a lab. 2 consecutive samples need to be clear before they confirm it worked. I think if anything showed up in a sample i needed to pay for a 3rd, 4rd etc.
    I seem to have been unlucky with my pain but id have no probs getting it done again if it hadnt worked, as bad as it was, it was a very short term pain for a very long term gain.
    Go for it and after its done milk it with the wife. I had mine running round after me helping with cushions and cold packs. If she said anything i told her i was just after open ball surgery and to have some compassion.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

No need for GP just ring around and they will give you a time and date,turn up sign forms and snip, in and out in about 30 minutes..a few weeks of discomfort.
    Send in sample a few months down the line get the all clear hopefully if not another sample in another month or two...that's basically it in a nut shell .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

As other OP have said there is no need for you to go to your GP, My husband had it done about 14 yrs ago, No internet then to google Gps to did them, there is a doctor where we live who does the procedure, he still does them, paid about 350 pounds, in and out in about 30mins, then you send samples back I think about 2/3 months later, but the Gp will give you all the info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I'm done 14 weeks this week...doc said to wait 18 before sending sample in...madness....
    Was thinking of sending in now and if not clear (unlikely) I could pay for another....anyone do similar ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Zipppy wrote: »
    I'm done 14 weeks this week...doc said to wait 18 before sending sample in...madness....
    Was thinking of sending in now and if not clear (unlikely) I could pay for another....anyone do similar ?

I was told 16 weeks, and another at 18 weeks, both samples included in the price of €460 for the full procedure.

Just over a week now since mine, feeling a lot more comfortable I have to say, can sleep as normal (lying face down) and only really feel anything (slight twinge) if I bend down to pick something up for example, even that's getting easier as the days progress to be fair. Still don't feel exactly 100% as I did before but I suspect it wont be long until I do. Reckon I'll chance starting running again at the weekend & see how I go.
    All in all seems to have gone smoothly enough.... the bruising though.. jaysis:eek: looks like the lads have gone a few rounds with Conor McGregor!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Just on the way home from mine. I thought the procedure would have been a lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Got mine done 2 years ago. I had the medical card at the time which covered it.

I just phoned the clinic and made the initial consultation and went back a week later for the procedure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

Why, what's the rush? You also have to send in 2 samples (I did anyway) just to be sure.

Only one sample mentioned

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Only one sample mentioned

Check the leaflet again. Mine definitely says 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

Mine was two samples as well, to be sure to be sure :)

They ended up misplacing one, so I had to give three:(

Doc himself said one and only gave me one container and envelope...to be done at 18 weeks

'Sperm Count
         It is not possible to give a 100% guarantee that the operation has been successful without having a negative sperm count to confirm this.  A reliable method of birth control must be used in the meantime.
         After 18 weeks, collect a sample. Results of this test will be posted. Post these to the address provided. The time between collection and delivery to the laboratory is not critical. Collect the semen by ejaculation directly into the container provided. Do not refrigerate specimen.
         Results this test will be posted to you. In the meantime continue to use a reliable method of birth control. Do not assume that your sperm count has fallen to zero'

I was told only one sample as well at 18 weeks ,doc only gave me the one container to post away....should I get another done and what time frame ..I have to send in my first one this week...

Any ideas how long after posting sample you get results back?

Any ideas how long after posting sample you get results back?

I don't remember waiting too long. About a week or 2.

• Advertisement

2 weeks for me

Were ye Clane?

Zipppy wrote:
    Were ye Clane?

Yes

chewed wrote:
    Yes

Ah...2.5 weeks since I sent sample off but I suppose xmas new year interveened. ..
    Tick tock

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ah...2.5 weeks since I sent sample off but I suppose xmas new year interveened. ..
    Tick tock

Nothing worse than waiting on the ticket to ride!!

Personally I had to send in 2 samples but the second one still showed "traces of genetic material" so I had to send in a 3rd sample for confirmation.

Third one was completely clear.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Nothing worse than waiting on the ticket to ride!!

Personally I had to send in 2 samples but the second one still showed "traces of genetic material" so I had to send in a 3rd sample for confirmation.

Third one was completely clear.
    Was your first one clear, my only sample came back clear ....but unsure I would only trust the one test...GP has said she would send me for another if I really wanted to be sure....I think I will get the second done private in clane.

harr wrote:
    ....I think I will get the second done private in clane.

How can you do that?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

harr wrote: »
    Was your first one clear, my only sample came back clear ....but unsure I would only trust the one test...GP has said she would send me for another if I really wanted to be sure....I think I will get the second done private in clane.

Yep first was clear,second had the traces in it and third came back clear.

How can you do that?
    GP said they would refer me to the clinic in clane Hosptial to give a sample, I think it's about 80 euro to get a sample done there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement