Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vasectomy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 60cent

Do yourself a favour and forget about it. I'm 5 months of pain post vasectomy. No answers from doctors or urologists just "pain will probably go away". The more you read about vasectomys long term pain or pvps are quiet common. Not the 1 on 1000. 😠

Cheers for that.

It’s something I’ll never understand, interesting to hear different opinions though.

The father is pushing me to do it and I’ve refused, I’m currently sitting in the local maternity hospital.

Do any of you guys have any regrets about getting it done?

5 months of pain and counting. Yea every day pal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Under pressure to get it done, but I'm getting increasingly freaked by the probability of long term pain.

Seems a higher chance than I originally thought, or is played down on most surgery web sites.

Anyone else in this predicament?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

spockety wrote:
    Under pressure to get it done, but I'm getting increasingly freaked by the probability of long term pain.

spockety wrote:
    Seems a higher chance than I originally thought, or is played down on most surgery web sites.

I had zero pain afterwards.. none.
    The procedure was painless too.
    Stop reading horror stories on the web and just do it...the freedom afterwards is fantastic...

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

Zipppy wrote: »
    I had zero pain afterwards.. none.
    The procedure was painless too.
    Stop reading horror stories on the web and just do it...the freedom afterwards is fantastic...

I'm the same as the poster above , zero pain during or after the procedure .I got the no scalpel job in a place on Molesworth st , got it done on a Friday and was back in work on Monday .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Process was painless for me as well , a bit of discomfort for about a week and even at that I seemed to be unlucky to have had a twinge for a week.
    Most of my friends that had it done were completely pain free after a couple of days...
    I personally haven’t spoke to any anybody who has experienced long term pain.
    As with anything medical you are going to hear horror stories in the web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Glebee

As all of the above, no issues during or after the procedure. Just make sure you and your partner have thought it through and are in 100% agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

No issues whatsoever with me.......the missus is in constant pain though!!!! Badum dish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭.red.

I think I've said it here before but I seem to have been less lucky than most when I got done.
    Bit of pain during the procedure and I swelled up and was badly bruised afterwards. Took about a week to go down and about another week to be recovered enough to do things other than sit around and get in/out of the car. It was more discomfort than pain tho and the hammock he gave me made a huge difference when I tightened it up.

I honestly think the level of pain might have been a psychological thing, it seemed worse than it was because of where it was.
    It was sore, but if it had been my arm or leg I might have taken less painkillers.
    Saying that,
    If I'd have gotten my results back and it hadn't worked I'd have had no problems doing it again.
    Especially a few years later, absolutely no regrets over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

60cent wrote: »
    5 months of pain and counting. Yea every day pal.

Cheers for that,so i take it you would change your mind if you had the chance to do it all over again?

It is good to get an insight into different sides of getting the procedure done.

As i already mentioned, i don't plan on getting it done, now or ever, i merely looked in here after what my father said to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

spockety wrote: »

Anyone else in this predicament?

Google "post vasectomy pain syndrome".

There is a small chance you will be messed up for life if you get it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Had it myself & had a pain in my b**ox for about a week.

Pipes all now in working order but the truth is at best it was very uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Schwanz wrote: »
    Had it myself & had a pain in my b**ox for about a week.

Pipes all now in working order but the truth is at best it was very uncomfortable.

Was it your own personal choice or did the mrs ask you to get it done?

The 2 cases I’m personally aware of the wife asked that it be done.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

It`ll be 4 years in May since I got it done.Absolutely no pain after the initial week or so for me.

What does it matter??

I didn't particularly want it done before I had it done but the thought of more feckin kids pushed me to do it. It was no way near as bad as I thought it would be.
    You are informed of the risks many times before the procedure. It's a small risk and for me and the few people I know who had it done there were no issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭optogirl

I think that's fair enough - she can only ask. No doubt the onus has been on her for a long time to prevent pregnancy. I really want some time in my life as an adult where I'm not either pregnant or on hormones to prevent pregnancy. My husband did suggest getting the vasectomy but he would have been aware that I had frustrations with various types of pill, implant, patch etc. I was delighted when he said it & went ahead & did it although I did ask that he consider future situations - I might get run down by a bus and he might meet someone for whom having more kids is a deal breaker. He said no, he definitely doesn't want more kids.

It was a case of "I've given birth now it's time for you to get sorted"

Didn't mind to be honest but it wasn't my favorite week in this world that's for sure

Cheers for that,so i take it you would change your mind if you had the chance to do it all over again?

It is good to get an insight into different sides of getting the procedure done.

As i already mentioned, i don't plan on getting it done, now or ever, i merely looked in here after what my father said to me.[/quote

I too was black,blue and swollen for
    couple of weeks. Nearly back to normal at 6 weeks. At 9 weeks then more pain arrived and I'm here sitting in fairly uncomfortable pain now 5 months post op. I know guys also that were fine in week or 2. Not me unfortunately.
    So answer is no. If I was back again I would not. I don't even know will this pain ever go away. Terrible.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

As i already mentioned, i don't plan on getting it done, now or ever, i merely looked in here after what my father said to me.[/quote

I too was black,blue and swollen for
    couple of weeks. Nearly back to normal at 6 weeks. At 9 weeks then more pain arrived and I'm here sitting in fairly uncomfortable pain now 5 months post op. I know guys also that were fine in week or 2. Not me unfortunately.
    So answer is no. If I was back again I would not. I don't even know will this pain ever go away. Terrible.

Have you gone back to where you got it done to see if they can help with he pain? What do they tell you?

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »

Have you gone back to where you got it done to see if they can help with he pain? What do they tell you?

Yea iv been back twice to doctor who did the vas. Have me antibiotics and anti inflams for 4 weeks to no avail. He advised me to see an urologist and get an ultrasound. Results of ultrasound all clear.
    Urologist examined me and found nothing. Said long term pain from vas is common and it will probably go away. It hasn't yet so I'll be going back again when I'm 6months post vas next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭The lips

Right lads I'm booked in. Would I be OK to drive home for an hour after the procedure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

The lips wrote:
    Right lads I'm booked in. Would I be OK to drive home for an hour after the procedure?

yes..you should feel nothing and be in no pain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Glebee

The lips wrote: »

You should be ok to drive home, just remember that when you get home pretend your in agony and milk it for all its worth...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

The lips wrote: »

I drive after 10 mins of having it done, 7 of the other 9 mins I spent eating a breakfast roll lol..

Knocked one out the next morning just to ease my fears,was tender but nothing at all major.

Zipppy wrote: »
    yes..you should feel nothing and be in no pain...
    😂😂😂😂😂

Thanks very much. All set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Dubdude

I would love to get this done but the FEEAAARRRR of being left in pain, as the guy above said he is still in pain 5 months post op.

I have been looking around and the place on molesworth street seems pretty good as it states no needle no scalpel, any of you guys get it done here?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

Dubdude wrote: »
    I would love to get this done but the FEEAAARRRR of being left in pain, as the guy above said he is still in pain 5 months post op.

I have been looking around and the place on molesworth street seems pretty good as it states no needle no scalpel, any of you guys get it done here?

Yeah , I got mine done there about 10 weeks ago , I'd recommend it , the Dr who does it was excellent and put me at ease , I had no pain during or after . The whole thing only took 20 mins and I drove home straight after it . TBH if I had of known how easy it was going to be I would have got it done sooner .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭.red.

Dubdude wrote: »

There's over 600 posts on this thread and maybe 50/60 people who have posted and got it done, most people have reported very little pain. From what I remember there's one person who's had more that just sore/bruised testicles. Now granted, that poor lad has it bad but the odds of it happening are small.

Dubdude wrote:

I did after a terrible time at a clinic in clane.

Like night and day between these 2 places.

Zero pain for me during or after (nearly a year)
    Over before I knew it. Milked it for a good week!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭nigel_wilson

How likely is it that a 20yr old guy would be turned down by the doctors for being too young? I actually am doing it even though I'm no longer sexually active (have had 3 girlfriends since I was 17).

I find sex for myself to be quite underwhelming. Feel better having a smoke or drink tbh. Despite that, i just want to be safe and get the snip if possible.

I know even if I'm approved, it won't be for another year and a half because I have little finances. Currently unemployed...but if urologist could agree to it when Ive sorted myself out finance wise then I don't see why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Not a hope of getting it done.
    I went to see my GP during the week to see about getting it done, im over 30, married with 2 kids and he told me straight away theres no chance anyone would help me.

Jacovs wrote:
    Not a hope of getting it done. I went to see my GP during the week to see about getting it done, im over 30, married with 2 kids and he told me straight away theres no chance anyone would help me.

Why are you going to your GP?

Book a consult in the molesworth clinic. The doctor will explain everything to you, ask if you understand, ask a few questions and ask when you want it done. I had it done at 36 and 2 kids

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Why are you going to your GP?

Book a consult in the molesworth clinic. The doctor will explain everything to you, ask if you understand, ask a few questions and ask when you want it done. I had it done at 36 and 2 kids

Was actually in to see him about something else but asked him about that while I was there. Get my money's worth from the visit.
    Im at the lower end of 30's.

• Advertisement

Just be careful guys. I think doctors and urologists play down post vasectomy pain syndrome that I have. A pain in the nuts and groin for over 5 months is no fun physically or mentally. Constant kicked in the nuts feeling 24\7. It's surgery at the end of the day.No matter how quick it is. Big regret.

Just be careful guys. I think doctors and urologists play down post vasectomy pain syndrome that I have. A pain in the nuts and groin for over 5 months is no fun physically or mentally. Constant kicked in the nuts feeling 24\7. It's surgery at the end of the day.No matter how quick it is. Big regret.

Ah man feel for ya.

They must have made a b**ox of the surgery

Ah man feel for ya.

They must have made a b**ox of the surgery

No every scan/ultrasound all normal. No infection or inflammation.
    So I guess I'm one of the "1in 1000"with an issue. Bull****.

Had that kick in the balls feeling and it aint nice.

Must be wrecking your head

Had that kick in the balls feeling and it aint nice.

Must be wrecking your head

Sure is man. Some days u think your improving but back it comes again. Back to urologist at 6 months now next month to see what the **** 😩

• Advertisement

@60cent

I have every sympathy for you. Post op pain and/or a non functioning member were my biggest worries going into my op. Post op possible issues certainly were not down played to me.

But your case is so infrequent that it shouldn't put people off getting what is at most a minor procedure.

@everyone else

You are given all the info in regards to possible outcomes of the procedure and make an informed decision. There are risks of course, as with every medical procedure.

Your body probably had an autoimmune reaction to the surgery.

That seems to be whats causing on going issues with vasectomy patients.

Dr Brown wrote: »
    Your body probably had an autoimmune reaction to the surgery.

That seems to be whats causing on going issues with vasectomy patients.

U recon? Will it just go away eventually or am i stuck with this ****. I couldnt deal with this long term. Id prefer to cut my nuts off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭optogirl

Jacovs wrote: »
    Not a hope of getting it done.
    I went to see my GP during the week to see about getting it done, im over 30, married with 2 kids and he told me straight away theres no chance anyone would help me.

? My husband, in his 30's with 2 kids had it done recently - went direct to clinic. No issues whatsoever

optogirl wrote: »
    ? My husband, in his 30's with 2 kids had it done recently - went direct to clinic. No issues whatsoever

Will tell my GP he is full of **** next time I go in for something. Have to just go direct to clinic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 mikerockfield

optogirl wrote: »
    I think that's fair enough - she can only ask. No doubt the onus has been on her for a long time to prevent pregnancy. I really want some time in my life as an adult where I'm not either pregnant or on hormones to prevent pregnancy. My husband did suggest getting the vasectomy but he would have been aware that I had frustrations with various types of pill, implant, patch etc. I was delighted when he said it & went ahead & did it although I did ask that he consider future situations - I might get run down by a bus and he might meet someone for whom having more kids is a deal breaker. He said no, he definitely doesn't want more kids.

Wife and I had our third child late last year, so we are definitely done with family. We also spoke of possible future situations and I am adamant that I will not be having anymore children!..:)

I have booked in to get vasectomy done in March and to be honest I cant wait to get it done. It was my suggestion that I get it, as my wife has delivered three beautiful children through three rough pregnancies. I don't want her to be taking the various hormonal drugs/procedures and we would both prefer sex without condoms, which are way to risky in the long run. I genuinely think this will only add to our sex life. So basically..Man up lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 mikerockfield

Yep, I had it done there last July.

The website is quite good for info about shaving, etc. so just have a look on there for the pre-op details.

As for the procedure itself, well naturally enough I was a bit nervous, but the doc (I think his name is John?) was very calm and reassuring. Anaesthetic is applied by a pressure injection rather than a needle. He described as "this will feel like someone snapping an elastic band on your scrotum" and that's exactly what it was like. It was over in a millisecond, not painful. The op itself involves no scalpel, but there obviously has to be some sort of incision! He described it as being like keyhole surgery. I believe he made a small opening and found the tubes through that. Small bit of discomfort while he was doing it, but dull rather than painful. The op part took about 10 minutes. There are no stitches involved, just a small cut that is dressed with a bit of gauze that's held in place by the jock strap. You can take the gauze off the next day for a shower, and in my case there was hardly any blood spot on it at all after 24 hours.

I drove home (15 mins) afterwards, but he did suggest chilling out for a bit before driving just to let any anxiety you might feel go away. I got solpadene and nurofen, and took a couple of each over the 24 hours after the op, but tbh I took them more as a pre-emptive thing than as a reaction to any pain...because I did that, I didn't actually feel much pain at all afterwards. I felt tender for a few days afterwards, definitely wouldn't let the kids climb all over me like normal! But after a week that was gone. I do a small bit of cycling, and I'd say at a push I could have done it after a week, but from memory I think the doc said leave 2 weeks if possible. Not sure about running, but I had no problems walking around after it, so your time off running will depend on how fast you're running!

Booked in for the procedure in Athenry in March, same Dr as in Molesworth Clinic. Great that it can be done locally!! Did you send semen analysis to Rotunda?..How long did you wait and how long to get results back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Getting it done on a Thursday afternoon in 3 weeks. Will I be ok for an hour drive on Saturday and sitting in a hotel having a meal for a few hours before driving home again? I am nervous about it all.

Getting it done on a Thursday afternoon in 3 weeks. Will I be ok for an hour drive on Saturday and sitting in a hotel having a meal for a few hours before driving home again? I am nervous about it all.

No bother, a little discomfort like a slight kick in the bags for a few days after. Keep taking the ibobrufen for a few days.

All bruising was gone after ten days.

Like some one else said the biggest thing is the anxiety /adrenaline of the procedure to a delicate area.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

How long before you can get back in the saddle after the procedure?

• Advertisement
Advertisement