Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

aomh wrote: »
    Lads, need to get this done. Do you need a referral from a doctor or not. Also, in the Midlands so where is convenient, thanks
    I didn't need referral....I got mine done in a clinic in clane if that is near enough for you ...

• Site Banned Posts: 3 I SMELL RAINBOWS

I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference where you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 aomh

harr wrote:
    I didn't need referral....I got mine done in a clinic in clane if that is near enough for you ...

Yeah wouldn't be too bad, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

All done. Wasn't too bad at all. 15 minutes all in. The injection was the worst part and that was no worse than going to the dentist. At home now, feet up. I need to take normal painkillers for a couple of days and should expect a little discomfort once the anaesthetic wears off but so far so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

doubledown wrote: »
    All done. Wasn't too bad at all. 15 minutes all in. The injection was the worst part and that was no worse than going to the dentist. At home now, feet up. I need to take normal painkillers for a couple of days and should expect a little discomfort once the anaesthetic wears off but so far so good.

fair play, i want to see you with your feet up on that couch until at least Monday..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭gibbo_ireland

Well done mate. You've given me the courage to do it. Thanks o much for posting your progress and take it easy for the next little while!

Morning all. I had the procedure done on Friday afternoon. I'm back at work today. Completely pain free.

I took it easy all weekend (well, as best as I could with two young kids) and took painkillers as a precaution but I'm pretty sure I didn't even need them.

I could feel the site of the single incision once the anesthetic wore off about four hours after the operation and had a slight dull ache in my lower abdomen on Saturday but that's about it. There is a small bit of bruising on the scrotum but that's completely normal and should go away in a week or so. Honestly, the worst bit is the itch from the hair starting to grow back (yes, you have to shave your balls beforehand.)

I'll report back if anything changes but for now I'm at my desk feeling right as rain.

I should also point out that the doctor who performed the procedure is a proponent of the "open-ended" vasectomy. He said that from the moment he switched to that method he doesn't have patients calling him after their procedures complaining of pain or swelling.

Here's some info about it - https://www.bestvasectomy.com/vasectomy-why-us/open-ended-vasectomy-less-pain-after-vasectomy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Morning all. I had the procedure done on Friday afternoon. I'm back at work today. Completely pain free.

I took it easy all weekend (well, as best as I could with two young kids) and took painkillers as a precaution but I'm pretty sure I didn't even need them.

I could feel the site of the single incision once the anesthetic wore off about four hours after the operation and had a slight dull ache in my lower abdomen on Saturday but that's about it. There is a small bit of bruising on the scrotum but that's completely normal and should go away in a week or so. Honestly, the worst bit is the itch from the hair starting to grow back (yes, you have to shave your balls beforehand.)

I'll report back if anything changes but for now I'm at my desk feeling right as rain.

I should also point out that the doctor who performed the procedure is a proponent of the "open-ended" vasectomy. He said that from the moment he switched to that method he doesn't have patients calling him after their procedures complaining of pain or swelling.

Here's some info about it - https://www.bestvasectomy.com/vasectomy-why-us/open-ended-vasectomy-less-pain-after-vasectomy/

Is the open ended method as secure from 'reconnection' as the titanium clip?

Zipppy wrote: »
    Is the open ended method as secure from 'reconnection' as the titanium clip?

Yes because the other end of the vas is completely sealed.

Yes because the other end of the vas is completely sealed.
    With?

I'm just curious...I'm a titanium man myself :)

• Advertisement

Zipppy wrote: »
    With?

I'm just curious...I'm a titanium man myself :)

It's cauterized shut I believe.

It's cauterized shut I believe.

Ah right...I'd heard of that...I went to Clane so had no option on 'sealing'..he uses titanium..I'm happy enough as I know it can never rejoin now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭gibbo_ireland

Great stuff man, your giving hope to those of us still scared at the thought. Just need this cold to go away (explosive coughing can hurt the nether regions) then will book in.

Know everyone says this but I would rather put needles in my eyes than go to the dentist, so the idea of this is 100 times worse. That was, until this board post to hear from people that went through it.

Hopefully I'll be the same after and wonder why I was being such a big baby when it's all done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Great stuff man, your giving hope to those of us still scared at the thought. Just need this cold to go away (explosive coughing can hurt the nether regions) then will book in.

Know everyone says this but I would rather put needles in my eyes than go to the dentist, so the idea of this is 100 times worse. That was, until this board post to hear from people that went through it.

Hopefully I'll be the same after and wonder why I was being such a big baby when it's all done...
    Only a little pinch then you only feel a bit of tugging....happy days ������. ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

harr wrote: »
    Only a little pinch then you only feel a bit of tugging....happy days ������. ��

I had an experienced surgeon do one side and a buck he was training doing the other side. There was quite the audience, but once you're showing it off to one or two people there may as well be twenty there. I could really see the difference in the stitching between the young lad and the top man. One side was all pinched and pulled together while the other was much smoother. Didn't matter a damn once the stitches came out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Getting done in Celbridge in a few weeks.

A Friday morning, took that day off, and also the following morning.

Will the doc give me a prescription for the good painkillers "just in case"?

I didn't get one. Paracetamol and ibuprofen as far as I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Getting done in Celbridge in a few weeks.

A Friday morning, took that day off, and also the following morning.

Will the doc give me a prescription for the good painkillers "just in case"?

The guy that did me said to get ibprofen and solpadene. I didn't need anything stronger, and I'd say those over the counter ones will be fine for you too.

And a bottle of wine for that night to help with the sleep.

Wine?

I've a bottle of scotch lined up for the afternoon.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭paulztag

Booked to get it done next week in Clane and just wondering what's the main difference between the clips method offered in Clane and the no scalpel method offered in other clinics? Could change clinic if the clips is a problem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

paulztag wrote: »
    Booked to get it done next week in Clane and just wondering what's the main difference between the clips method offered in Clane and the no scalpel method offered in other clinics? Could change clinic if the clips is a problem :)

I think you're looking at two different things there. No scalpel method may or may not use clips, scalpel method may or may not use clips. I do not think clips are exclusive to one method or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭paulztag

Thanks, ya I rang them and they said the testicular end is left open and the clip is used on the other side instead of cauterizing

Sitting in Celbridge waiting my 10 o'clock appointment.

Sitting in Celbridge waiting my 10 o'clock appointment.

Good luck. You'll be grand! The anxiety beforehand (if you have any) is the worst part.

I had mine this day five weeks ago and have no complaints. Let us know how you get on.

I'm a bit nervous, who wouldn't be when someone is about to go poking about their nether regions.

doubledown wrote:
    Good luck. You'll be grand! The anxiety beforehand (if you have any) is the worst part.

Didn't work. Me tubes are too short and he couldn't get a grip on them. Sent me home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

Didn't work. Me tubes are too short and he couldn't get a grip on them. Sent me home

Oh! so what next? Can you still get it done another way? I remember they examined me in the 1st appointment to make sure the tubes weren't too short. Did you get this examination prior to the op?

That's a shame. All that build-up for nothing. To be honest I didn't even know that was a factor. Now what?

• Advertisement

chewed wrote: »
    Oh! so what next? Can you still get it done another way? I remember they examined me in the 1st appointment to make sure the tubes weren't too short. Did you get this examination prior to the op?

Yeah the same here.

Advertisement