Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vasectomy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 RockDaddy

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The decision to get a vasectomy was pretty much mine, I was researching it while she was pregnant with our third. We discussed all our options and hormone contraception was out for both of us, and condoms are way to unreliable for us!

Like you said, a vasectomy is far less invasive than tubal litigation. I was in and out in 45mins, forms signed, consultation, procedure completed, back in the car and drove home! Spent the whole procedure discussing the six nations.

Like a lot of lads I was concerned about my libido and orgasm afterwards. Would it be the same feeling, the same volume, would I be as horny. I can guarantee everything is in perfect working order and my libido is through the roof!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

As I said it is silly and it's in no way a slight on guys who have had it done. It's just something in my own head.

I think if I dig deeper perhaps I am thinking about if myself and wife split up that it would be an issue in possible future relationships.

Let me get this straight.. you gauge your manliness by regular conscious thought about how fertile you are, and you also regularly think about ensuring you have allowed for a life after splitting up from your wife...??

I'd have a vasectomy fairly low on the list of things you need to sort out for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭worded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

spockety wrote: »
    Let me get this straight.. you gauge your manliness by regular conscious thought about how fertile you are, and you also regularly think about ensuring you have allowed for a life after splitting up from your wife...??

I'd have a vasectomy fairly low on the list of things you need to sort out for yourself.

Don’t think A vasectomy decrease or changes the amount of sperm a male produces, millions are still created every day, it simply re-directs them into the ‘scrotum’ where they die/are reabsorbed by the body.......the ability for them to eacape and swim to meet the ovums is all that changes.... in fact even post vasectomy as many as 100,000 sperm per ml in a sample is deemed acceptable/procedure has been a success....it’s their swimmming ability/mobility that counts.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

After the procedure, assuming all goes well and to plan, how soon can you get back to playing contact sports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭finglashoop

NIMAN wrote: »
    After the procedure, assuming all goes well and to plan, how soon can you get back to playing contact sports?

Bruising swelling lasts about a week. Probably more mental than physical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭TheShow

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Don’t think A vasectomy decrease or changes the amount of sperm a male produces, millions are still created every day, it simply re-directs them into the ‘scrotum’ where they die/are reabsorbed by the body.......the ability for them to eacape and swim to meet the ovums is all that changes.... in fact even post vasectomy as many as 100,000 sperm per ml in a sample is deemed acceptable/procedure has been a success....it’s their swimmming ability/mobility that counts.....

If they have managed to make it out into the semen, would that not make them pretty agile and determined?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

Yeah about a week or so.Definitely a heightened sensation too.Kinda different in a good way..:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Road-Hog wrote: »
    even post vasectomy as many as 100,000 sperm per ml in a sample is deemed acceptable/procedure has been a success....it’s their swimmming ability/mobility that counts.....

I dont know where you got this information from but please dont be posting stuff like this. You are completely wrong.

A successful vascectomy is where there is ZERO sperm in any test after the procedure has been deemed a success.

Its nothing to do with mobility.I personally had to have 3 tests because they found "viable biological matter" in my second post procedure test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

stratowide wrote: »
    Yeah about a week or so.Definitely a heightened sensation too.Kinda different in a good way..:D

Can I ask for a rough idea of how I will feel after the procedure, how much pain is there initially or does the LA keep the pain away for a while afterwards?

I'm only asking cos I might have to drive myself home after it, as its looking like I won't have a co-driver to accompany me. I might have a 45min-1hr drive home.

Will it be a bearable trip home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

It changes person to person but I had no issues and walked 15 mins to the carpark before driving 30mins home. I had very minor discomfort in the days that followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

I drove from Cork to Limerick after. But, as advised, got the pain relief and took them for a few days so didn't have any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

Can I ask for a rough idea of how I will feel after the procedure, how much pain is there initially or does the LA keep the pain away for a while afterwards?

I'm only asking cos I might have to drive myself home after it, as its looking like I won't have a co-driver to accompany me. I might have a 45min-1hr drive home.

Will it be a bearable trip home?

Wasn't a bother at all.I've had much worse pain getting hit in the goolies with a football.
    Take a few pain killers and you'll be fine.

The worst bit was looking at the reflection of the operation in the overhead lights..can still see it now.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Looking at reeling in the year and up pops the doctor who did the job on me Dr Andrew Rynne seems he has fined in 1983 for giving contraception to his patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yogi37

Can anybody recommend a doc in the Dublin area that would be very reliable for this procedure. With something quite as valuable as my manhood, I don't wanna be using Dr Nick Riviera.

Also, in terms of booking for the procedure, how long in advance should I be making contact? If I were hoping to arrange for January would I need to start booking now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭worded

yogi37 wrote: »
    Can anybody recommend a doc in the Dublin area that would be very reliable for this procedure. With something quite as valuable as my manhood, I don't wanna be using Dr Nick Riviera.

Also, in terms of booking for the procedure, how long in advance should I be making contact? If I were hoping to arrange for January would I need to start booking now?

DIY is the way to go - kit available on this URL

https://vasectomy-information.com/do-it-yourself-vasectomy-kit/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

yogi37 wrote: »

I went to Dr O'Keeffe in Donnybrook just over 2 years ago. Couldn't recommend him highly enough

http://www.morehamptonclinic.ie/_mgxroot/page_10755.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭py

py wrote: »
    ...when test comes back with the all clear which is due to happen shortly.

Forgot to follow this up, results came back all clear after first test. :)

Molesworth clinic gets my vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Dubdude

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Molesworth clinic gets my vote

How where you after the procedure, really want to get it done and this place seems pretty good no scaple, no needle. The only thing has me delaying the booking is the thoughts of being left with pvp.

Absolutely no issues whatsoever with the exception of a mild tingling maybe every 20th ejaculation that lasts maybe 15 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭chewed

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Absolutely no issues whatsoever with the exception of a mild tingling maybe every 20th ejaculation that lasts maybe 15 seconds.

That's called a multiple orgasm! :D

Finally got around to sending in the sample for analysis... all clear.

This thread is a goldmine for anyone considering it, I'm surprised it's not more active.

This thread is a goldmine for anyone considering it, I'm surprised it's not more active.

Can I ask where you got the vasectomy done?

Dubdude wrote: »
    Can I ask where you got the vasectomy done?

Molesworth Clinic - Dr John McCormick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

I got the job done last Saturday, after a lot of delaying and putting it off and googling, YouTube searches and of course going reading through this thread about a dozen times. The chat beforehand took longer than the procedure itself and despite an odd twinge was relatively painless and and over before I knew it. I was a bit tender for two or three days but all good now but will keep wearing a pair of compression shorts for another few days. I have definitely had more painful procedures in the dentist chair.

Can I ask where you got it done, also was it no scapel no needle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

How long did you have to wait for the results back, did you get a letter or phone call?

• Advertisement

The Mulk wrote: »
    How long did you have to wait for the results back, did you get a letter or phone call?

Posted on a Tuesday, phone call 10 days later on a Friday. To be followed by written confirmation in the post I believe.

Posted on a Tuesday, phone call 10 days later on a Friday. To be followed by written confirmation in the post I believe.

Cheers, I posted mine Monday of this week, i'm like a child waiting for Christmas

Had this done last Friday and today is the first day I can walk unsupported since. Both testicles are still swollen up though the colour has returned to normal now. That feeling of getting hit by a football is still there constantly but is very much reduced.
    The operation itself didn't go too bad I thought, as others have said I've had worse trips to the dentist. The right side did take 3x as long as the left though, the doc was pulling and squeezing for a bit before he cut me open.
    By far the worst thing I experienced was on Sunday/Monday. I had nerve pain and tension in my right upper leg and lower back. I had this constant need to stretch my leg but if I did then I had a searing pain across my body just above my pelvis. This stopped after about 30 hours.
    Visited my doctor Monday morning and have been on a cocktail of medication since. I left the house this morning for the first time in 7 days and am actually really looking forward to hopefully going back to work on Monday, the cabin fever is really getting to me.
    I don't mean to scare anyone off getting this done, it'll definitely be worth it long term and the pain in the balls is actually quite manageable with rest but that tension and nerve pain in my leg was something else.

red_ken wrote: »
    Had this done last Friday and today is the first day I can walk unsupported since. Both testicles are still swollen up though the colour has returned to normal now. That feeling of getting hit by a football is still there constantly but is very much reduced.
    The operation itself didn't go too bad I thought, as others have said I've had worse trips to the dentist. The right side did take 3x as long as the left though, the doc was pulling and squeezing for a bit before he cut me open.
    By far the worst thing I experienced was on Sunday/Monday. I had nerve pain and tension in my right upper leg and lower back. I had this constant need to stretch my leg but if I did then I had a searing pain across my body just above my pelvis. This stopped after about 30 hours.
    Visited my doctor Monday morning and have been on a cocktail of medication since. I left the house this morning for the first time in 7 days and am actually really looking forward to hopefully going back to work on Monday, the cabin fever is really getting to me.
    I don't mean to scare anyone off getting this done, it'll definitely be worth it long term and the pain in the balls is actually quite manageable with rest but that tension and nerve pain in my leg was something else.

Do you mind if I ask where you got it done and was it the no scapel no needle you got done?

Dubdude wrote: »
    Do you mind if I ask where you got it done and was it the no scapel no needle you got done?

I had mine done in Clane, no scalpel, no needle.
    I had a fairly OK experience. One thing that happened to me was due to not eating or drinking enough on the day.
    I was really nervous and had no appetite.
    As soon as I stood up after the procedure I got really light headed. I had to sit down and i ended up passing out for a few seconds. My blood pressure was really low. The doc gave me a bottle of 7up and waited till my BP returned to normal (about 15 mins). I was able to head home then.

I was pretty much back to normal after a week, I was conscious of the tenderness but nothing too serious, and a bit careful when i was doing other stuff.
    Just waiting in the all clear now

Didn't have it done in Ireland, I'm living abroad at the moment.

It was with scalpel and needle, I had to put a cream on an hour before the operation to prepare the skin for the needle. Barely felt the injection tbh

• Advertisement

Where was it done?

red_ken wrote:
    Had this done last Friday and today is the first day I can walk unsupported since. Both testicles are still swollen up though the colour has returned to normal now. That feeling of getting hit by a football is still there constantly but is very much reduced. The operation itself didn't go too bad I thought, as others have said I've had worse trips to the dentist. The right side did take 3x as long as the left though, the doc was pulling and squeezing for a bit before he cut me open. By far the worst thing I experienced was on Sunday/Monday. I had nerve pain and tension in my right upper leg and lower back. I had this constant need to stretch my leg but if I did then I had a searing pain across my body just above my pelvis. This stopped after about 30 hours. Visited my doctor Monday morning and have been on a cocktail of medication since. I left the house this morning for the first time in 7 days and am actually really looking forward to hopefully going back to work on Monday, the cabin fever is really getting to me. I don't mean to scare anyone off getting this done, it'll definitely be worth it long term and the pain in the balls is actually quite manageable with rest but that tension and nerve pain in my leg was something else.

In Belgium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

I have to second this, I had mine done there on November 13th. Found him to be excellent. Very very thorough, talked me through all the potential side effects, didn't downplay the risks of Post Vasectomy Pain and made sure I was fully aware of any potential developments. We actually spent longer discussing the procedure than doing it. In and out of the clinic within 25 minutes, Ibrufen for the swelling (which was minor) but little to no actual pain. Back exercising within 2 days.

Can't recommend Dr McCormick enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I have to second this, I had mine done there on November 13th. Found him to be excellent. Very very thorough, talked me through all the potential side effects, didn't downplay the risks of Post Vasectomy Pain and made sure I was fully aware of any potential developments. We actually spent longer discussing the procedure than doing it. In and out of the clinic within 25 minutes, Ibrufen for the swelling (which was minor) but little to no actual pain. Back exercising within 2 days.

100% this!

Absolutely the exact same with me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

The Mulk wrote: »
    Cheers, I posted mine Monday of this week, i'm like a child waiting for Christmas

I posted mine on Tuesday. Hopefully the AnPost delays don't hold it up too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Glebee

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    I posted mine on Tuesday. Hopefully the AnPost delays don't hold it up too much.

I remember my sample got lost in the post when I sent it to the clinic in Mullingar. Someone got a lovely surprise:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Glebee wrote: »
    I remember my sample got lost in the post when I sent it to the clinic in Mullingar. Someone got a lovely surprise:D:D

Cream for their coffee...!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

spockety wrote:

Booked in with him for early January.

How did others do the shaving in advance? Cut it back with a scissors and then get stuck in with a Mach3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Peckham wrote: »
    Booked in with him for early January.

How did others do the shaving in advance? Cut it back with a scissors and then get stuck in with a Mach3?

Just a quick trim with scissors, the doc shaved the tiny bit he needed to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

100% true. That's where I went too. No issues, all went well.

Lost the paperwork for the sample though, must chase that up now I think of it.

On way home from having snip done by John McCormick about an hour ago.

Took 15 minutes and it is all pretty relaxed with him chatting away.

To put this in context I'm pretty queasy when it comes to medical things.

Procedure was nowhere near as bad as could be feared. Any discomfort (and it's mild discomfort) is from him moving things around, as well as the thought of what he's actually doing to you!

Will update again tomorrow and in coming days as my experience might benefit others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Glebee

Peckham wrote: »
    On way home from having snip done by John McCormick about an hour ago.

Took 15 minutes and it is all pretty relaxed with him chatting away.

To put this in context I'm pretty queasy when it comes to medical things.

Procedure was nowhere near as bad as could be feared. Any discomfort (and it's mild discomfort) is from him moving things around, as well as the thought of what he's actually doing to you!

Will update again tomorrow and in coming days as my experience might benefit others.

Milk it as much as you can until at least
    Sunday evening. Feet up all weekend and no children allowed near you...

Peckham wrote:

24 hours after the procedure and I feel, well, fine actually. Bit of tightness and a dull pain on left side (where he spent longer working), but nothing too bad.

Have taken a few painkillers, but not as many as I expected I would need to.

Have been reasonably active today too. Not exactly running around, but able to play in the garden with the kids, do light housework etc. All quite gentle!

Probably could have (should have!) milked it for more than this!

So far, so good.

Peckham wrote:

Updating again for future reference of anyone else considering a vasectomy.

Now 4 days later and feel great. Very little pain. Woke up this morning with no pain at all. Slight pain developed as day went on, but no more than niggling (kind of like a minor groin strain from sport).

Feel like I could exercise, but have been advised to steer clear until next week, so will play it safe.

The most annoying thing is the hairs growing back in that area. Itchy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

In Clane is it the hospital or the doctors place on kilcock road for anyone who has had it there?

• Advertisement
Advertisement