Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

Joe222 wrote: »
    I am over 5 weeks post vasectomy. Wounds have thankfully healed at last. It took a full month.

However I still have occasional blood in my semen. Is this still normal and just a case of the tubes clearing themselves?

No other issues thankfully.

5 weeks seems a long time to still have blood. Depends on how much you've emptied out!!! But I only had blood for 1st 2 releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Joe222

chewed wrote: »
    5 weeks seems a long time to still have blood. Depends on how much you've emptied out!!! But I only had blood for 1st 2 releases.

I had blood at the start but then it was clear for bit but was back this week on a couple of occasions.
    I know one of the incisions bled so maybe it is one of the tubes picking up the bleed within the scrotum. Maybe it just needs time to clear out as there is no pain or discomfort there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I had no blood no pain. You guys make me concerned it didn't work! 😨

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

peteb2 wrote: »
    I had no blood no pain. You guys make me concerned it didn't work! 😨

I'm the same. No blood and very little pain (just a lot of bruising) but that's fairly normal too from what I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

Hi all
    Got mine done a week ago today.
    35, 2 kids etc.
    Procedure was grand, at one point I did feel a sharp pain on my right hand side and I said it to the doc. Only lasted maybe 5 seconds
    Pain afterwards was ok, but after a few days it got worse and worse and its only really starting to become a bit better today. It was that horrible feeling of a kick in the nads, and a fear of walking too fast, or going up the stairs would make it worse. But today is better, I am walking better
    My left side is healing well, but my right side doesn't look good. Its a much bigger incision and the whole looks very open and gooey. I rang the doc yesterday to tell him and he told me to keep putting baby powder on it, 2-4 times a day to dry it out. I'm not 100% certain about it if I am being honest, but maybe someone else had the same thing? If its not looking better again by Monday I will be calling him again and asking for him to look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Hi all , I've been reading this thread nervously over the last few weeks.40 married with 3 kids under 9 so happy out. Had a vasectomy Saturday by a doctor in Clane Co. Kildare .
    Just wanted to post here for anyone else reading this thread nervously.
    Went in at 10:45am out waiting for the wife to collect me at 11:15 done and dusted.(much to her disbelief). The procedure was quick and relatively painless apart from the injection and a bit of pulling ( no sniggering) and I'm sensitive enough around that area. Spent the procedure with my toes curled in my runners waiting for the pain that never really came.
    When I got out I felt surprisingly comfortable could of been the y fronts along with the gauze over my balls.
    When I landed home it was the couch for the evening the kids were kept at arms length. Had to use the loo later and went with out any problems I expected to feel things a bit different in my ignorance but no all normal. The only feeling of pain I felt was of a very sensitive testicular area .I didn't need any pain killers at all it was just a feeling of a post kick in the sack a dull pain not a lift you out of it pain. By 7:30 I was feeling good enough to visit a relative in hospital with my sister I told her I'd slipped in the yard earlier that day loading the van when she enquired about my funny walk.
    Got home that night about 9 and went to bed slept legs appart and on my back . Sunday morning any pain that was there was gone just a sensitive area and brusing the only marks were 2 tiny incisions one front and back, very little to no weeping .
    Felt great Sunday and Monday back to work doing manual labour demolishing a kitchen while conscious of bending with the legs apart ,the only issue I had was not been able to cross my legs while having a cuppa .
    All in all everything's positive apart from the bruising which looks far worse than it feels still a bit sensitive.
    The nod nod wink wink went ok also on Sunday night much to my surprise felt as before there was no blood in the semen maybe next time .
    So for anyone getting it done it can be a walk in the park for some .
    I hope no one takes this as gloating its just I was nervous as hell going in and it wasn't half as bad as I was expecting it to be .
    I hope anyone else getting it done has the same experience I've had so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Got mine done a week ago today.
    35, 2 kids etc.
    Procedure was grand, at one point I did feel a sharp pain on my right hand side and I said it to the doc. Only lasted maybe 5 seconds
    Pain afterwards was ok, but after a few days it got worse and worse and its only really starting to become a bit better today. It was that horrible feeling of a kick in the nads, and a fear of walking too fast, or going up the stairs would make it worse. But today is better, I am walking better
    My left side is healing well, but my right side doesn't look good. Its a much bigger incision and the whole looks very open and gooey. I rang the doc yesterday to tell him and he told me to keep putting baby powder on it, 2-4 times a day to dry it out. I'm not 100% certain about it if I am being honest, but maybe someone else had the same thing? If its not looking better again by Monday I will be calling him again and asking for him to look at it.
    Just to update
    It will be 3 weeks tomorrow and I am much much better now
    Walking freely again, hope to go to the gym at lunch time (not sure yet if I could run)
    Still hurts a bit if the kids hit me accidentally, and the right scar (which was much much bigger) is now looking far better. Still not full healed but defo on the way there
    I would hope that by tomorrow week (4 weeks) I would be fully healed
    Everyone is different, and it has certainly taken my longer that I expected to get to this point
    That doesn't bother me, but just glad I don't have a physical job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Out of interest, has anyone sent their samples back before the deadline that they're given by the doc?

I've read that the majority of men are sterile after between 20-25 emissions post op, so surely if you get through the required 'work' (so to speak) earlier than the 3 months, you can send in the sample back?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Joe222

Joe222 wrote: »
    I am over 5 weeks post vasectomy. Wounds have thankfully healed at last. It took a full month.

However I still have occasional blood in my semen. Is this still normal and just a case of the tubes clearing themselves?

No other issues thankfully.

Around 2 months post op and everything looks much better. Wounds have healed fine.
    The good thing to report is that with the last week blood is no longer appearing in my semen.

That was upto 7 weeks with some blood so it can take a while for everything to settle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Went to see my GP about this today.

He basically tried to talk me out of it, told me that his wife had tried to talk him into it for years but he'd said 'no', and then asked me would I not want to try for another baby boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

beans wrote: »
    Went to see my GP about this today.

He basically tried to talk me out of it, told me that his wife had tried to talk him into it for years but he'd said 'no', and then asked me would I not want to try for another baby boy.
    Shouldn't really be trying to push his personal opinion onto you...medical advice is all he should be giving you...see another GP in fact you don't need to talk to GP at all no referrals needed to get it done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Stigura

Jesus wept, Beans! That's bloody outrageous!

Stigura wrote: »
    Jesus wept, Beans! That's bloody outrageous!

Thought that earlier, alright. I expect the 'try for a boy' meme from the Ryanair check in staff, not so much my GP!

Now I'm thinking "if there's​ a good reason why my doctor won't get one, maybe...". Are there any physical downsides that I'm oblivious to?

I'm moving soon so new doctor on the cards already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Stigura

Are there any physical downsides that I'm oblivious to?

I had mine done pushing forty years ago, Beans. Never made a ..... er. bean of difference, to me, in any way shape or form. None what so ever.

Still can't my bloody head around what he said to ye! He wants a check up from the neck up!

Stigura wrote: »

Still can't my bloody head around what he said to ye! He wants a check up from the neck up!

Thanks. Sets me at ease somewhat.

Some people just can't let it go, the whole Male Heir thing. Certain cultures mostly, in my experience. He's not a bad dude, just needs a bit more professional ken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

My Doc, who I respect a lot and have been going to for years, just asked me straight up had I thought about it hard enough and what it would mean. He also asked what if I was suddenly single again and met another girl. I told him straight up that I still wouldn't want children even in this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thought that earlier, alright. I expect the 'try for a boy' meme from the Ryanair check in staff, not so much my GP!

Now I'm thinking "if there's​ a good reason why my doctor won't get one, maybe...". Are there any physical downsides that I'm oblivious to?

I'm moving soon so new doctor on the cards already

Yeah, maybe he is having trouble at home in his marriage.

Bit ridiculous to be dragging that opinion into a medical consultation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

I don't think my doctor even knows I had it done.
    I didn't need his help to ring the lad who snipped me. Figured there was no point giving him €50 to send a letter when I could make a phone call and organise it myself.
    During my consultation before I had it done I mentioned my own doctor and asked if I needed to inform him or if he would be sent the results. I was told my GP would only be informed if I told him myself.

I needed my GP to refer me to the clinic, I think. I'm in the UK, so I think that's how the NHS manages these things.

July 7th is v-day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

V-day has arrived

2:10 today
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

frash wrote: »
    V-day has arrived

Best of luck, won't be a bother on you...and milk the attention over the weekend,you should get sympathy at least till Sunday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

frash wrote: »
    V-day has arrived

Best of luck. It's a snip (pun intended). The anxiety beforehand is the worst part.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭mugwumpjism

ok so I'm fresh meat. Went into Molesworth this morning at 11.30 and was out by 12.15. Painless besides the slight pinch of the local. Walked back down to get the bus from O'Connell St. Only really sitting down now.
    I have crohns disease and because of my medication he prescribed anti-biotics, and i've taken some paracetamol.
    Jockstrap on.
    Will let you know whether the pain kicks in!
    But would highly recommend that fella.

Just wondering the reason for anti biotics because you have crohns?

Just wondering the reason for anti biotics because you have crohns?

I take imuran. It's suppresses your immune system. So can't naturally fight off any small infection. So it was just precautionary

I take imuran. It's suppresses your immune system. So can't naturally fight off any small infection. So it was just precautionary

Ah. I am in a similar situation but not on imuran anymore on humira which I don't think suppresses the immune system as much but you still have to be careful if you have infections. Did you have any problems post op? Any immune responses, flare ups, infections in the area? Was worried that the open end type might get an immune response hence going for the traditional and am a bit worried about long term issues due to immune responses or infections.

Nine of the medical journals show any elevated issues with crohns or other auto immune patients.

Ah. I am in a similar situation but not on imuran anymore on humira which I don't think suppresses the immune system as much but you still have to be careful if you have infections. Did you have any problems post op? Any immune responses, flare ups, infections in the area? Was worried that the open end type might get an immune response hence going for the traditional and am a bit worried about long term issues due to immune responses or infections.

Nine of the medical journals show any elevated issues with crohns or other auto immune patients.
    * none

No issues whatsoever. No pain. nothing.

No issues whatsoever. No pain. nothing.

Thanks

anybody have it done in the IFPA in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

I'm thinking of getting it done as a form of birth control. I had sex but putting on the condom really makes sex stressful plus a GP two years back said my sperm count was extremely low due to exposure to some harmful chemicals.

I know it's not something to be taken lightly and will probably be refused by many doctors but, could I shop around the UK?

Am interested in hearing stories from young Irish men getting it done in whatever country.

Advertisement