Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

jeanjolie wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting it done as a form of birth control. I had sex but putting on the condom really makes sex stressful plus a GP two years back said my sperm count was extremely low due to exposure to some harmful chemicals.

I know it's not something to be taken lightly and will probably be refused by many doctors but, could I shop around the UK?

Am interested in hearing stories from young Irish men getting it done in whatever country.

You're 19 and you're thinking of getting a vasectomy? Can I ask why? I'd assume that most men on this thread, including myself, have already had children and are at an age where a vasectomy makes sense for them. If condoms are so stressful, I think getting the snip is an extreme alternative! You do realise it's permanent birth control and difficult to reverse the procedure? If you're happy to never having children then go for it, but if there's any doubt on this, you should stop and really think hard about it first. You may end up in a relationship with someone who is on the pill and you therefore don't need to worry about condoms.....and inevitably this person is going to want to have children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I didn't want children at 19. I did want children at 29.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I'm thinking of getting it done as a form of birth control. I had sex but putting on the condom really makes sex stressful plus a GP two years back said my sperm count was extremely low due to exposure to some harmful chemicals.

I know it's not something to be taken lightly and will probably be refused by many doctors but, could I shop around the UK?

Am interested in hearing stories from young Irish men getting it done in whatever country.

Your obsessive, compulsive thread starting and posts are becoming increasingly bizarre. They smack of attention seeking tbh. That or it's all getting a bit trollesque.

Maybe as a 19yo you could put off the vasectomy for a while and perhaps spend some of the money in the vasectomy fund on a little bit of professional counselling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »

Maybe as a 19yo you could put off the vasectomy for a while and perhaps spend some of the money in the vasectomy fund on a little bit of professional counselling.

Are you genuinely serious or just having a laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

he's serious .. and its not bad advice going by your threads started history that we can all see ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭optogirl

Husband is considering this and I must say I am VERY supportive :P Having been on some form of contraception since about 17 or pregnant, I would LOVE a few years artificial-hormone free before the menopause sets in....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

opti76 wrote: »
    he's serious .. and its not bad advice going by your threads started history that we can all see ..

Mate, I've just completed the leaving cert and have a trip in a month and a halfs time with nothing to do in-between.

Cut me some slack please. No one ever said I was William Shakespeare :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

Mate, I've just completed the leaving cert and have a trip in a month and a halfs time with nothing to do in-between.

Cut me some slack please. No one ever said I was William Shakespeare :rolleyes:

You do realise you'd still need to wrap the small fella up for sex during your trip away making the snip pointless unless in a long term relationship?
    STDs and STIs are still a possibility!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭optogirl

.red. wrote: »
    You do realise you'd still need to wrap the small fella up for sex during your trip away making the snip pointless unless in a long term relationship?
    STDs and STIs are still a possibility!

also a rash move at 19 I feel. Men get broody too, believe me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

It's 18 weeks before you get the all clear .
    At 19 most guys think all they want to do is shag anything that moves for the rest of their life with out consequence and live the live of a hugh heffener character.
    But believe for 99.9 % of us those values will change dramatically in a very short space of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭mugwumpjism

Well I took the plunge on Friday. Must say the procedure was nearly painless...a bit of tugging and a slight pinch for the needle but all in all the anticipation was worse. Took it easy over the weekend and didn't have much pain at all just the feeling that I had been poked and prodded a little. Feet up for 2 days and then a little more activity on Sunday. On Sunday noticed a bruise and swelling started. This got worse over the subsequent days and now I have a small dark purple and red patch on the right above the incision and the boys have swollen to I suppose half their size again up with a dull ache (like a kick in the jewels) and slight pain in the abdomen, also slight sharp pain where my leg is rubbing the stitches. Nothing major but uncomfortable and not great to walk any distance.

Anyone have a similar experience and when will it calm down, was so painless on Friday I had visions of going hiking this weekend.....that's off the cards! Any thoughts appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

where my leg is rubbing the stitches.

:eek:

I didn't get stitches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

It's been three months since the op so I sent off the second sample there last Thursday. Obviously keen to get the all clear, would anyone (who got the job done in donnybrook) be able to suggest how long it took to get the results back??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Le Bruise wrote: »
    It's been three months since the op so I sent off the second sample there last Thursday. Obviously keen to get the all clear, would anyone (who got the job done in donnybrook) be able to suggest how long it took to get the results back??

I had it done in the same places and it only took about a week after the second sample was sent as far as I can remember.

EDIT - Sorry, I just noticed the date on your post. I presume you got the results by now!

doubledown wrote: »
    EDIT - Sorry, I just noticed the date on your post. I presume you got the results by now!

Actually ended up ringing them and they rang back soon after to give the all clear (thank God)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nbernadett

Hello my husband is considering the vasectomy. Could you please recommend a good clinic? We are in Carlow but willing to travel within 100 km. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Nbernadett wrote: »
    Hello my husband is considering the vasectomy. Could you please recommend a good clinic? We are in Carlow but willing to travel within 100 km. Thanks in advance.

Couldn't fault clane at the woods centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Couldn't fault clane at the woods centre

I could.......if anyone would like to hear what happened to me there, PM me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I had mine done(at the second attempt) at the molesworth clinic in Dublin. Couldn't recommend it high enough. I had 0 issues after or since (5 months now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

Do you ever need to get a sample retested again? Myself and the better half we joking at the weekend imagine if the effects "wore off" and she got pregnant. :eek: Christ im too old for another kid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Stigura

Glebee, once ye've drawn a blank, that's it mate. About as much chance of ye tubes getting back together again as me and my ex wives! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Before any man gets a vasectomy they should google "post vasectomy pain syndrome".

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Crispycool

TGC Lurker wrote: »
    Wonder if many people regret getting them? I have been toying with the idea myself. Only 28 YO but I despise kids. Anyone here got one?

I'd be careful in case you change your mind. It might be completely out of the question for you to have kids right now but people can change a lot as they get older

Quick question re: travelling after the procedure.

I've agreed to moving my snips forward to September 23rd, which is nice. Only realised that I'm flying London to Dublin on the 24th, and back the 25th. I'll be driving Dublin to Drogheda and back on the 25th.

Even assuming I get some of the worse side-effects, I can't see them preventing me flying or driving. Having said that, I can always postpone the snippage for a month or two if I contact them soon.

Anyone think attempting to fly and drive after 24 hours of rest is optimistic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

beans wrote: »
    Quick question re: travelling after the procedure.

I've agreed to moving my snips forward to September 23rd, which is nice. Only realised that I'm flying London to Dublin on the 24th, and back the 25th. I'll be driving Dublin to Drogheda and back on the 25th.

Even assuming I get some of the worse side-effects, I can't see them preventing me flying or driving. Having said that, I can always postpone the snippage for a month or two if I contact them soon.

Anyone think attempting to fly and drive after 24 hours of rest is optimistic?

I'd give yourself some time to be able to chill out on a sofa in a trackie bottoms. Swollen bruised balls and having to walk like John Wayne for a couple of days would be much easier to handle if you're not running around the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Whats the point of getting this done? I mean you have to pay, and then no chance of you having kids later if you change your mind. What if you meet a woman of your dreams who absolutely wants children and convinces you?

And wouldnt you be using condoms during sex anyway, because of STD risk?
    I dont see much benefits to this surgery for a young or single guy. Maybe if you're well past age of having children, and you're married/in a loving relationship for a long time, then I can see the appeal

wakka12 wrote: »
    Whats the point of getting this done?

For me - married, two children, don't want more and don't want to impose hormonal contraception on Mrs Beans.

I'd agree that it would be less sensible for a young buck who just wants to fukc. I'd guess that the surgical team would do their best to talk someone out of it, if that was their situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

Quick Question
    How long does it take to get the "all clear"
    Posted off my 2nd sample last Friday and haven't heard anything back yet, just wondering how long that takes. Can't remember what the doc told me

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    Quick Question
    How long does it take to get the "all clear"
    Posted off my 2nd sample last Friday and haven't heard anything back yet, just wondering how long that takes. Can't remember what the doc told me

I ended up ringing them after a week of waiting for results (as I was heading away for a few days). The doctor rang me back soon after to give the all clear, and also emailed me the confirmation. Might be worth a call?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Thinking of getting this done.
    The thought of it makes my balls shrivel tho. :-S :-D

I've put vasectomy into Google and there are places and adds popping up everywhere , similar to searching for a sliding wardrobe...lol ...worrying.
    Two prices I saw were 450 and 390.
    Vasectomyireland.ie
    And a few others.

I'm in clare, are the places much of a much to each other?
    I presume it's like going to the dentist ,
    Only worse.

Are those prices the going rate now?
    Or too good to be true.
    I don't mind paying a premium for a professional job considering what they will be working on :-)

Advertisement