Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 60cent

Do yourself a favour and forget about it. I'm 5 months of pain post vasectomy. No answers from doctors or urologists just "pain will probably go away". The more you read about vasectomys long term pain or pvps are quiet common. Not the 1 on 1000. 😠

Cheers for that.

It’s something I’ll never understand, interesting to hear different opinions though.

The father is pushing me to do it and I’ve refused, I’m currently sitting in the local maternity hospital.

Do any of you guys have any regrets about getting it done?

5 months of pain and counting. Yea every day pal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Under pressure to get it done, but I'm getting increasingly freaked by the probability of long term pain.

Seems a higher chance than I originally thought, or is played down on most surgery web sites.

Anyone else in this predicament?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

spockety wrote:
    Under pressure to get it done, but I'm getting increasingly freaked by the probability of long term pain.

spockety wrote:
    Seems a higher chance than I originally thought, or is played down on most surgery web sites.

I had zero pain afterwards.. none.
    The procedure was painless too.
    Stop reading horror stories on the web and just do it...the freedom afterwards is fantastic...

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

Zipppy wrote: »
    I had zero pain afterwards.. none.
    The procedure was painless too.
    Stop reading horror stories on the web and just do it...the freedom afterwards is fantastic...

I'm the same as the poster above , zero pain during or after the procedure .I got the no scalpel job in a place on Molesworth st , got it done on a Friday and was back in work on Monday .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Process was painless for me as well , a bit of discomfort for about a week and even at that I seemed to be unlucky to have had a twinge for a week.
    Most of my friends that had it done were completely pain free after a couple of days...
    I personally haven’t spoke to any anybody who has experienced long term pain.
    As with anything medical you are going to hear horror stories in the web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

As all of the above, no issues during or after the procedure. Just make sure you and your partner have thought it through and are in 100% agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

No issues whatsoever with me.......the missus is in constant pain though!!!! Badum dish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

I think I've said it here before but I seem to have been less lucky than most when I got done.
    Bit of pain during the procedure and I swelled up and was badly bruised afterwards. Took about a week to go down and about another week to be recovered enough to do things other than sit around and get in/out of the car. It was more discomfort than pain tho and the hammock he gave me made a huge difference when I tightened it up.

I honestly think the level of pain might have been a psychological thing, it seemed worse than it was because of where it was.
    It was sore, but if it had been my arm or leg I might have taken less painkillers.
    Saying that,
    If I'd have gotten my results back and it hadn't worked I'd have had no problems doing it again.
    Especially a few years later, absolutely no regrets over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

60cent wrote: »
    5 months of pain and counting. Yea every day pal.

Cheers for that,so i take it you would change your mind if you had the chance to do it all over again?

It is good to get an insight into different sides of getting the procedure done.

As i already mentioned, i don't plan on getting it done, now or ever, i merely looked in here after what my father said to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

spockety wrote: »

Anyone else in this predicament?

Google "post vasectomy pain syndrome".

There is a small chance you will be messed up for life if you get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Had it myself & had a pain in my b**ox for about a week.

Pipes all now in working order but the truth is at best it was very uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Schwanz wrote: »
    Had it myself & had a pain in my b**ox for about a week.

Pipes all now in working order but the truth is at best it was very uncomfortable.

Was it your own personal choice or did the mrs ask you to get it done?

The 2 cases I’m personally aware of the wife asked that it be done.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

It`ll be 4 years in May since I got it done.Absolutely no pain after the initial week or so for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

What does it matter??

I didn't particularly want it done before I had it done but the thought of more feckin kids pushed me to do it. It was no way near as bad as I thought it would be.
    You are informed of the risks many times before the procedure. It's a small risk and for me and the few people I know who had it done there were no issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭optogirl

I think that's fair enough - she can only ask. No doubt the onus has been on her for a long time to prevent pregnancy. I really want some time in my life as an adult where I'm not either pregnant or on hormones to prevent pregnancy. My husband did suggest getting the vasectomy but he would have been aware that I had frustrations with various types of pill, implant, patch etc. I was delighted when he said it & went ahead & did it although I did ask that he consider future situations - I might get run down by a bus and he might meet someone for whom having more kids is a deal breaker. He said no, he definitely doesn't want more kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

It was a case of "I've given birth now it's time for you to get sorted"

Didn't mind to be honest but it wasn't my favorite week in this world that's for sure

Cheers for that,so i take it you would change your mind if you had the chance to do it all over again?

It is good to get an insight into different sides of getting the procedure done.

As i already mentioned, i don't plan on getting it done, now or ever, i merely looked in here after what my father said to me.[/quote

I too was black,blue and swollen for
    couple of weeks. Nearly back to normal at 6 weeks. At 9 weeks then more pain arrived and I'm here sitting in fairly uncomfortable pain now 5 months post op. I know guys also that were fine in week or 2. Not me unfortunately.
    So answer is no. If I was back again I would not. I don't even know will this pain ever go away. Terrible.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

As i already mentioned, i don't plan on getting it done, now or ever, i merely looked in here after what my father said to me.[/quote

I too was black,blue and swollen for
    couple of weeks. Nearly back to normal at 6 weeks. At 9 weeks then more pain arrived and I'm here sitting in fairly uncomfortable pain now 5 months post op. I know guys also that were fine in week or 2. Not me unfortunately.
    So answer is no. If I was back again I would not. I don't even know will this pain ever go away. Terrible.

Have you gone back to where you got it done to see if they can help with he pain? What do they tell you?

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »

Have you gone back to where you got it done to see if they can help with he pain? What do they tell you?

Yea iv been back twice to doctor who did the vas. Have me antibiotics and anti inflams for 4 weeks to no avail. He advised me to see an urologist and get an ultrasound. Results of ultrasound all clear.
    Urologist examined me and found nothing. Said long term pain from vas is common and it will probably go away. It hasn't yet so I'll be going back again when I'm 6months post vas next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭The lips

Right lads I'm booked in. Would I be OK to drive home for an hour after the procedure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

The lips wrote:
    Right lads I'm booked in. Would I be OK to drive home for an hour after the procedure?

yes..you should feel nothing and be in no pain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

The lips wrote: »

You should be ok to drive home, just remember that when you get home pretend your in agony and milk it for all its worth...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

The lips wrote: »

I drive after 10 mins of having it done, 7 of the other 9 mins I spent eating a breakfast roll lol..

Knocked one out the next morning just to ease my fears,was tender but nothing at all major.

Zipppy wrote: »
    yes..you should feel nothing and be in no pain...
    😂😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭The lips

Thanks very much. All set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Dubdude

I would love to get this done but the FEEAAARRRR of being left in pain, as the guy above said he is still in pain 5 months post op.

I have been looking around and the place on molesworth street seems pretty good as it states no needle no scalpel, any of you guys get it done here?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

Dubdude wrote: »
    I would love to get this done but the FEEAAARRRR of being left in pain, as the guy above said he is still in pain 5 months post op.

I have been looking around and the place on molesworth street seems pretty good as it states no needle no scalpel, any of you guys get it done here?

Yeah , I got mine done there about 10 weeks ago , I'd recommend it , the Dr who does it was excellent and put me at ease , I had no pain during or after . The whole thing only took 20 mins and I drove home straight after it . TBH if I had of known how easy it was going to be I would have got it done sooner .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

Dubdude wrote: »

There's over 600 posts on this thread and maybe 50/60 people who have posted and got it done, most people have reported very little pain. From what I remember there's one person who's had more that just sore/bruised testicles. Now granted, that poor lad has it bad but the odds of it happening are small.

Advertisement