Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 60cent

10%? Honestly?
    I believe so yes. Some guys get better after 3 6 or 12 months. Others don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

60cent wrote: »
    I believe so yes. Some guys get better after 3 6 or 12 months. Others don't.
    There is no way it’s one in 10 that suffer long term pain.

harr wrote: »
    There is no way it’s one in 10 that suffer long term pain.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

60cent wrote:
    Why?

Because it would be out there in the ether on discussion boards etc........I think I've already commiserated you on your bad luck but you shouldn't be making stats up to try to scare people away from what is a very minor procedure.

EVERY SINGLE MEDICAL PROCEDURE HAS RISKS.

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Because it would be out there in the ether on discussion boards etc........I think I've already commiserated you on your bad luck but you shouldn't be making stats up to try to scare people away from what is a very minor procedure.

EVERY SINGLE MEDICAL PROCEDURE HAS RISKS.

Minor procedure? My urologist told me that long term post vas pain in common and that I was far from alone. They cover it up because vasectomies are great money makers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Minor procedure? My urologist told me that long term post vas pain in common and that I was far from alone. They cover it up because vasectomies are great money makers.

Is it longterm pain or shortterm pain (0-3 months) generally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

And how do you suppose they cover it up or stop people talking about it. I personally know 5 or 6 lads who got it done with no problems and the vast majority here on this thread have had no problems, I suppose you think we are all in on the big conspiracy .
    As mentioned every procedure has risks and you were unfortunate to have lasting pain but by no means is that the normal outcome.
    I was unlucky to have discomfort for a week and even that is abnormal to most men’s experience.
    Please stop scaremongering with made up facts and figures

Is it longterm pain or shortterm pain (0-3 months) generally?

Most common would be up to 3 months. It's just post vasectomy pain syndrome (which is pain longer than 3 months)is under played and alot larger problem. I am meeting my urologist(not the doctor who did the vas)in 2 weeks again. I will be 7 months post vas.

60cent wrote:

Yes, minor procedure. As in it requires minimal anesthetic, requires no stitches (mine anyway) and can be done on your lunch break.

I'm sure your doctor is correct. I'm sure there are quite a few others out there but not to the levels you are suggesting.

Like I keep saying, all medical procedures carry risks. The risks were explained to me perfectly and I made an informed(and personally researched) decision.

Yes, minor procedure. As in it requires minimal anesthetic, requires no stitches (mine anyway) and can be done on your lunch break.

I'm sure your doctor is correct. I'm sure there are quite a few others out there but not to the levels you are suggesting.

Like I keep saying, all medical procedures carry risks. The risks were explained to me perfectly and I made an informed(and personally researched) decision.

Good on you man.

• Advertisement

And how do you suppose they cover it up or stop people talking about it. I personally know 5 or 6 lads who got it done with no problems and the vast majority here on this thread have had no problems, I suppose you think we are all in on the big conspiracy .
    As mentioned every procedure has risks and you were unfortunate to have lasting pain but by no means is that the normal outcome.
    I was unlucky to have discomfort for a week and even that is abnormal to most men’s experience.
    Please stop scaremongering with made up facts and figures

I know 7 lads that got it done. 3 were ok after 2 weeks. Two lads took up to 3 months to get any where near healed and myself and the other dude have pain up to 6 and 7 months and counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

And how do you suppose they cover it up or stop people talking about it.

It's quite easy to cover up.

Generally speaking if men get messed up by the OP they are not going broadcast it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Dr Brown wrote: »
    It's quite easy to cover up.

Generally speaking if men get messed up by the OP they are not going broadcast it.

On an anonymous forum where many people have shared their experiences, you'd think there'd be more than one negative poster if bad reactions were a prevalent issue with the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

On an anonymous forum where many people have shared their experiences, you'd think there'd be more than one negative poster if bad reactions were a prevalent issue with the procedure.

You can argue whether its 1 in 50, 1 in 100, or 1 in 1000 that suffer "post vasectomy syndrome".

But the bottemline is that anyone who gets the OP is playing a form of russian roulette with their health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Dr Brown wrote: »
    You can argue whether its 1 in 50, 1 in 100, or 1 in 1000 that suffer "post vasectomy syndrome".

But the bottemline is that anyone who gets the OP is playing a form of russian roulette with their health.

The same could be said of any procedure you have done if you want to be dramatic. Hell, it could be said of walking out your front door.

Read up about what you're getting done. Weigh up the risks and benefits and make an informed decision. There's one poster on here sharing his negative experience with the procedure but the rest of the posters on here have been positive about it and I include myself in that group.

Dr Brown wrote:

You should be a writer for Fair City!!!!

Dramatic much?

Full disclosure,

I'm 10 months post op. I healed quickly and normally.

A couple of times(ejaculate) in the last month(out of 20 ejaculates) I've had very mild pain, like someone flicked my nuts, for maybe 20sec and its gone.

I will take this over another mouth to feed any day. If it gets worse over time I'll just have to deal with it. I can't see myself ever regretting the op.

No contraception is 100% and if we had another kid we'd probably get divorced!!!!

Full disclosure,

I'm 10 months post op. I healed quickly and normally.

A couple of times(ejaculate) in the last month(out of 20 ejaculates) I've had very mild pain, like someone flicked my nuts, for maybe 20sec and its gone.

I will take this over another mouth to feed any day. If it gets worse over time I'll just have to deal with it. I can't see myself ever regretting the op.

No contraception is 100% and if we had another kid we'd probably get divorced!!!!

Yea unfortunately man I have that flicked nut sensation 24/7. Even at night in bed. 7 months post vas. I'm hoping it will go but if not I will either have to go for a reversal or some other surgery. Unfortunately I could make myself worse by doing this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 RockDaddy

So, I am going for the procedure tomorrow!..Looking forward to it, to be honest. Our family is finished and we just don't want to be relying on contraception, especially condoms! Don't see the point in my wife taking all sorts of chemicals. So in I go!

I have seen that most posters have given very positive feedback, with one or two not so positive and a few others who appear to have no idea what a vasectomy actually is :)!

I will give some feedback on my experience over the weekend! Happy St Patricks Day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭mugwumpjism

Best of luck, I had a few little complications but I reckon if I had of rested up more they wouldn't of happened and most people seem to have none at all. Procedure is a fine too, once your numb it's grand.

• Advertisement

So, here’s my tuppence worth.
    I went for the procedure on Thursday. I arrived at 10:20 for a 10:30 appointment. When I arrived I had a form to fill out and then I met the doctor at 10:35.
    He ran through the various pros and cons of the procedure with me, what could happen and what to do if it does happen. Advice on possible swelling, inflammation etc. all the basics.
    He then gave me a jock strap and asked me to put it on in the toilet, when I returned I pulled my pants to my knees and lay on the bench. This was the only time I felt even a modicum of pain as he checked my testicles prior to the no needle anaesthetic. The anaesthetic was like a pinch, the sound of the click from the instrument makes it feel worse than it is!
    Once the anaesthetic had kicked in, he went to work. It was a no scalpel vasectomy. I did not feel, smell or see anything. We were discussing the upcoming 6 Nations game! The whole procedure was over in 10-15 minutes. I pulled up my pants, paid for the procedure, he gave me the info on the sample analysis and I was sitting in my car again at 11:10.

Over the weekend I had no pain, just a dull kind of feeling, you would know you had something done and you would be anxious around the kids!. I took Ibuprofen twice a day for three days just as a precaution to aid inflammation. I only felt pain when I forgot myself and went scratched my balls!!
    There is some very slight bruising and slight swelling but no pain. The opening appears to be healing really well! I was concerned that the hardware would be working after, so I had to try it out!! I can feel no difference in sensation, volume or viscosity. All feels fine!

I just have to wait now until June to send in the sample and then it’s flat out after that!
    All in all, the whole experience has been very good to date. So hopefully it will stay that way over the coming weeks! I will update if anything changes!

By that description you had Dr McCormick doing it?........
    RockDaddy wrote:
    So, here’s my tuppence worth. I went for the procedure on Thursday. I arrived at 10:20 for a 10:30 appointment. When I arrived I had a form to fill out and then I met the doctor at 10:35. He ran through the various pros and cons of the procedure with me, what could happen and what to do if it does happen. Advice on possible swelling, inflammation etc. all the basics. He then gave me a jock strap and asked me to put it on in the toilet, when I returned I pulled my pants to my knees and lay on the bench. This was the only time I felt even a modicum of pain as he checked my testicles prior to the no needle anaesthetic. The anaesthetic was like a pinch, the sound of the click from the instrument makes it feel worse than it is! Once the anaesthetic had kicked in, he went to work. It was a no scalpel vasectomy. I did not feel, smell or see anything. We were discussing the upcoming 6 Nations game! The whole procedure was over in 10-15 minutes. I pulled up my pants, paid for the procedure, he gave me the info on the sample analysis and I was sitting in my car again at 11:10.

By that description you had Dr McCormick doing it?........

You got it in one!!

I didnt think we could name names on here, but yes it was Dr McCormick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭optogirl

RockDaddy wrote: »
    You got it in one!!

I didnt think we could name names on here, but yes it was Dr McCormick!

He's a busy man! Did my husband's too - would like to buy him a pint! :p

optogirl wrote:
    He's a busy man! Did my husband's too - would like to buy him a pint!

He's a gentleman and a consummate professional.

After an unfortunate encounter with a butcher purporting to be doctor not too many miles from dublin, the molesworth clinic was a breath of fresh air(literally as its not above a petrol station!) and well worth the extra few quid.

RockDaddy wrote: »
    So, here’s my tuppence worth.
    I went for the procedure on Thursday. I arrived at 10:20 for a 10:30 appointment. When I arrived I had a form to fill out and then I met the doctor at 10:35.
    He ran through the various pros and cons of the procedure with me, what could happen and what to do if it does happen. Advice on possible swelling, inflammation etc. all the basics.
    He then gave me a jock strap and asked me to put it on in the toilet, when I returned I pulled my pants to my knees and lay on the bench. This was the only time I felt even a modicum of pain as he checked my testicles prior to the no needle anaesthetic. The anaesthetic was like a pinch, the sound of the click from the instrument makes it feel worse than it is!
    Once the anaesthetic had kicked in, he went to work. It was a no scalpel vasectomy. I did not feel, smell or see anything. We were discussing the upcoming 6 Nations game! The whole procedure was over in 10-15 minutes. I pulled up my pants, paid for the procedure, he gave me the info on the sample analysis and I was sitting in my car again at 11:10.

Over the weekend I had no pain, just a dull kind of feeling, you would know you had something done and you would be anxious around the kids!. I took Ibuprofen twice a day for three days just as a precaution to aid inflammation. I only felt pain when I forgot myself and went scratched my balls!!
    There is some very slight bruising and slight swelling but no pain. The opening appears to be healing really well! I was concerned that the hardware would be working after, so I had to try it out!! I can feel no difference in sensation, volume or viscosity. All feels fine!

I just have to wait now until June to send in the sample and then it’s flat out after that!
    All in all, the whole experience has been very good to date. So hopefully it will stay that way over the coming weeks! I will update if anything changes!

Good to hear man best of luck. Unfortunately i just cringe when I hear of people going for it now since mine. The no scalpel method seems alot simpler. (i had scalpel)Did your doc mention any potential long term pain as a side effect?I'm 8 months now since mine in limerick and even today I have pain in my right testicle and pain on the both sides of my groin. Going to see urologist next thur again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

60cent wrote:
    Good to hear man best of luck. Unfortunately i just cringe when I hear of people going for it now since mine. The no scalpel method seems alot simpler. (i had scalpel)Did your doc mention any potential long term pain as a side effect?I'm 8 months now since mine in limerick and even today I have pain in my right testicle and pain on the both sides of my groin. Going to see urologist next thur again.

60 have you ever actually posted anywhere else on boards? You can't just come out and be the guy that likes to just keep telling your story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

peteb2 wrote: »
    60 have you ever actually posted anywhere else on boards? You can't just come out and be the guy that likes to just keep telling your story.

Im glad he does it, if you read everyone else's post it's like walking in a rose garden.

It's definitely made me think longer and harder about every possibly having it done.

ANXIOUS wrote:
    It's definitely made me think longer and harder about every possibly having it done.

And that's fair enough but it shouldn't totally put you off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

And that's fair enough but it shouldn't totally put you off.

It's a side that's glossed over, I think having someone with a negative experience available to answer questions is a valuable resource for the forum.

Advertisement