Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

TBH Id rather not say who the clinic was because they were really great throughout and this wasn't their fault.

The horror was an infection and A hematoma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭deeks

Fair enough. Hope all is ok now.

deeks wrote: »
    Fair enough. Hope all is ok now.
    Grand now bar my balls are still a shade of purple months later and the scars itch a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Supercell wrote: »
    Lads, whats it like when you have "that moment of joy" with your partner once its all healed up, is it the same, painful? Where does the stuff go if the pipes are closed? Wifey making noises here about getting it done as we have enough kids as it is.
    It's the same, man.

Sperm makes up only about 5% of the volume of what's released in your "moment" of joy. Only the vas deferens are closed off, the rest of the plumbing remains intact. So the moment itself is for all intents and purposes identical to how it was before. Same consistency, same volume, same experience.

The testicles themselves have an internal "recycling" facility that goes on all the time regardless. So the sperm doesn't "go" anywhere, it just gets recycled by the body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Can anyone explain to me how women get pregnant after a vasectomy?

Is it just a poorly executed job or the tube heals itself?

Myself and the wife (not to her knowledge yet) are considering it but i want to know all the consequences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Supercell wrote: »
    Lads, whats it like when you have "that moment of joy" with your partner once its all healed up, is it the same, painful? Where does the stuff go if the pipes are closed? Wifey making noises here about getting it done as we have enough kids as it is.

That moment of joy is better than ever,would highly recommend it,wife will appreciate it and things will improve in the bed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Vicxas wrote: »

Myself and the wife (not to her knowledge yet) are considering it but i want to know all the consequences
    It depends on when she got pregnant- was the sample confirmed okay and was enough time left before the sample was submitted?
    If yes, Was the male checked again after the pregnancy to make sure it is his?

The doc explained to me it is contraception not sterilisation, something in the range of 1 in 1000 which is significantly better than condoms and other forms of contraception

Vicxas wrote: »

Most post-vasectomy pregnancies occur because the couple didn't wait long enough and/or get a sperm count done before having unprotected sex. Failed vasectomies are very rare and can be either because the doctor left one of the vas wholly or partially intact, or because there was a regrowth.

Many doctors cauterise the vas and use a titanium clip to seal it off, which in theory means that even with a regrowth, there should be no issue.

Although it is contraception, it's not really the same thing. The failure rate is the failure rate of the vasectomy. Whereas with contraception, it's a failure rate for the method.

So for condoms at 90% effectiveness, you're running the risk that a condom will fail one out of ten times you use one.

The vasectomy failure rate is per vasectomy, not per ejaculation. So if yours has been successful, you're not at 1/2,000 risk of pregnancy every time you have sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

What's the pain like the days after a Dr John McCormick procedure, would a 5km walk on the beach be possible or too much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

Snotty wrote: »
    What's the pain like the days after a Dr John McCormick procedure, would a 5km walk on the beach be possible or too much?

You could genuinely go for a 5km walk immediately after the procedure, a few days later you'll be fine. Don't exert yourself too much obviously, but it wouldn't be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

You could genuinely go for a 5km walk immediately after the procedure, a few days later you'll be fine. Don't exert yourself too much obviously, but it wouldn't be an issue.

Brilliant, I'll push it further, do you think a 5km lite jog or maybe a round of golf would be possible the next day.
    I have the day after booked off work and don't really fancy sitting in the house on my own and if I knew I'd be OK I'd organise something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

Brilliant, I'll push it further, do you think a 5km lite jog or maybe a round of golf would be possible the next day.
    I have the day after booked off work and don't really fancy sitting in the house on my own and if I knew I'd be OK I'd organise something

I probably wouldn't jog. Even with the jockstrap, it wouldn't exactly be providing a lot of support. I'd have to imagine you may need to be careful to avoid any 'pinching' during a golf swing as well, ha. That being said though, depending on your pain threshold etc, it might not bother you at all. There's little fear of the wound reopening as the incision is so small, but erring on the side of caution would still be best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd stay put for at least a day or two. Watch TV/read or something.

No point in rushing it either.

Don't plan anything strenuous for a week (as per doctors advice) that includes jogging or Gym work.

No way I was walking the day of the op, saying you can go for a 5k stroll directly afterwards is a response that just beggers belief. I was specifically told to have someone drive me home if possible and not plan anything at all for the day.

also, Buy some support Boxers jocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Got it done yesterday. Quick and easy. Anaesthetic wore off about an hour afterwards and it was bloody sore then, like being kicked in the balls. Joked with the wife about "the things I go through for you" (she's popped out 3 kids). An actual kick in the balls was mentioned. Once painkillers kicked in all was good again. No way I would have gone for a 500m walk though, never mind 5k. Working from home today and taking it easy but so far so good.

Brilliant, I'll push it further, do you think a 5km lite jog
    Certainly not the day after it I wouldn't.

It's not just about the movement, strenuous exercise will raise your blood pressure and can cause additional bleeding. The holes heal quickly, but not that quickly. This is also why weight lifting or heavy manual work (like blocklaying) is also not advised.

The official advice (in Ireland) is to leave it a week before engaging in strenuous cardio and two weeks for contact sport.
    The unofficial advice is to give it at least 3 days and then only do what you feel up to. But leave the contact sport for two weeks.

You have the day booked off, find a few movies that you've been meaning to watch, get in some ****e food and a takeaway for dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Had mine done in February this year in Cork. Really quick and simply procedure, only real pain came at the start during the Anaesthetic. The night and day after the procedure I was more uncomfortable than anything, but I was able to drive to Limerick down country roads with no real hassle, wouldn't recommend aiming for a pot hole of course.

As for doing a 5km walk/jog/run the same day or day after, I really wouldn't suggest it at all.

Best way to describe the pain is imagine the pain about 10 minutes after a good kick in the balls, that feeling in your gut and legs, but constant for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭digitalsystem

I saw some older posts about difficulty getting in contact with Dr. John. I've emailed once and called twice during the last three weeks but no response. Anyone else with same experience? Is it related to HSE cyber attack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I'm going to be booking myself in over the next few months with gentle procedures in Limerick. Has anyone previous experience with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

I'm going to be booking myself in over the next few months with gentle procedures in Limerick. Has anyone previous experience with them?

They appear to be Treaty medical centre with a new name. Had mine done there and based purely on my own personal experience would not recommend them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

knipex wrote: »
    They appear to be Treaty medical centre with a new name. Had mine done there and based purely on my own personal experience would not recommend them.

Can I ask why?

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Was thinking about them also. Lol when I get the b*lls to do it. Can you pm me why also.

Was thinking about them also. Lol when I get the b*lls to do it. Can you pm me why also.

Essentially based on my personal experience

I had some complications resulting in swelling and pain for a few weeks.

Personally I didn't warn to the doctor who did the procedure (probably linked to the pain)..

Friday is D-Day (or should I say V-Day :D ) for me. Quite nervous if I'm being honest but thats to be expected with someone attacking my nether regions :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

deeks wrote: »
    Friday is D-Day (or should I say V-Day :D ) for me. Quite nervous if I'm being honest but thats to be expected with someone attacking my nether regions :eek:

I think that is to be expected, but try to relax as much as you can. Good luck!

So got the job done yesterday morning by John McCormick in Cork. Much less uncomfortable than I had feared. Appointment was for 10.00 and I was outside before 10.30. The actual procedure was fine. A slight pinch twice on both sides for the anaesthetic but after that all I could feel was some movement but no actual pain or uncomfortableness. Was told to wait for about 20 mins before driving just to make sure I wasn’t dizzy or faint but was on the road before 11 with my feet up on the couch by 12.45. Took nurofen as I was leaving the surgery and again every 4 hours after and I have to say it’s much less painful than I feared. As someone posted earlier - it’s like the sensation of getting a whack in the balls but not the immediate feeling - about 20 mins after when it’s settled down but you still have that uncomfortable feeling in your gut. Basically didn’t stir from the couch all day yesterday afterwards with the mrs waiting on me all day 😄. Haven’t taken a painkiller yet today and feel reasonably ok but I will take some later. Gonna be a little more energetic today but nothing too strenuous. Hopefully after the next week or so is out of the way it will be plain sailing. Just have to wait three months or so then for the “all clear”

Thanks to all who’ve posted their positive experiences and their recommendations for Dr John on here. Probably wouldn’t have had the courage to go ahead only for ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

is dr john the one from vasectomy ireland?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 GottaGetGoing

Not a 2-3 day recovery for me.

Had procedure done 2 weeks ago in a Dublin clinic. All went fine on the day. Took some ibuprofen directly after, spent the evening on the couch.

Experienced intermittent discomfort that moved between the balls and abdomen in the 2-3 days afterwards but nothing a few ibuprofen and rest didn't sort.

Was starting to feel better until about day 8 when my balls started swelling up and I started experiencing more discomfort on both sides.

Rang Dr day 10, he advised to start taking ibuprofen again for the next 4-5 days and also to take hot baths twice a day.

Been following this now for 4 days with some improvement so hoping it won't be too much longer before I can get back to normal.

Advertisement