Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's funny looking at the likes of reddit and american men talking about their circumcision experience. Going into a legit operating theatre with doctors and nurses, lying on a theatre bed and being fully prepped, and afterwards spending half a day "recovering" in a bed on a ward. No doubt, it's all about the money over there.

And here in Ireland you arrive into a small office, hop up on a standard doctor's examination bed, bingo-bango, and an hour later you're at home or back in work getting no sympathy :D

In terms of shaving, you don't have to go nuts (pun intended). He really only needs the underside of the penis and the front of the bag shorn. But to make his life easy, you're probably better of trimming to the left and right as well. No need for an electric razor. Mach 3 in the shower, plenty of shaving cream and go gently at it until you're happy. Give it at least 3 days before the procedure, it'll be raw and weird afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

had the snip this morning , stingy and itchy but pain is not bad at all ( so far anyway ) , lying in bed with feet up

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Trondheim

Not sure if that is a typo, but if you are comparing circumcision in the US to vasectomy here, i guess they are very different procedures so likely the difference is more due to the procedure than the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lol, I did actually mean vasectomy, not circumcision. I think I'd want full anaesthetic for the latter!

Four days on from snip , piece of p1ss

Almost fully pain free , that said I was extremely careful for the first two days so probably stood to me, took a 150 mile round trip today, no discomfort while driving

• Advertisement

Balls are actually more sore today than five days ago, strange as I've been taking it easy for the most part?

Apart from the 150 mile round trip on Day 4?

Is "more sore" still not very sore, or is it significantly sore? If significantly sore, look at what you are doing, and consider ibuprofen, supportive underwear and ejaculation (not in that order!). Also, take it easy on the exercise etc.

Done a three mile walk an hour ago, not as sore today, funny thing ,noticeable pain in upper groin area despite no involvement by doctor in that location

I guess there will be lots of twinges and vague pains over the coming days. You might be walking differently in order to mind your balls, and have strained a muscle in your groin. You know what needs to be done: take it easy, good supportive underwear, fairly regular ejaculation, and if you have pain don't be shy about taking ibuprofen (within the limits set on the package). If you have pain that is not addressed by all that and it lasts more than a few days, no harm to contact the doctor that did the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭iptba

Popular tweet at the moment:

The most awkward situation in urology occurs when a patient who is a few years post vasectomy comes in requesting a repeat semen analysis because their partner just got pregnant & the SA shows zero sperm & the patient is like, "wow I guess the child is a miracle." 😬😵‍💫

https://twitter.com/ashleygwinter/status/1532855941116198917?s=21&t=T18T2a8Eg6WMJcjPXGvjUg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 newgrangepets

Does anyone know if the urologist prescribed strong opioids after the surgery? I have a friend in Canada who got two weeks supply of hydrocodone but refused it originally. The pain became too much and he says he's glad he was given it.

I'm afraid the doctors here will just tell me to take Nurofen/Solpadeine.

I didn't get a prescription for opioids and i didn't need it. I used paracetamol and nurofen. It was plenty for me and from the reports on this thread, plenty for most people. I haven't experienced healthcare in the US, but there does seem to be an issue there of over-prescription of opioids. They may be necessary in extreme cases, but not as a default.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Same here. Paracetamol and Nurofen were more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Very few pain issues for me, as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Adamson91ie

Looking at having my done this year. The only think I'm afraid of is PVPS few years dawn the road, I'm 31 with two kids boy and girl so there will be no more for 100%

Any recommendations, looking at Dr. Johns Mc Cormick or Dr. Richard Look Tong, I was booked for Drogheda clinic with Dr, Lynn but couldn't find any reviews or information about him so I cancel it

Thanks

I went with Dr. John McCormack. It was a very positive experience. I would recommend him without hesitation.

Re: PVPS, nobody can really give you any guarantees on that front. Most of the people i see posting here had no issues, but there are a few. I posted a bit more detail here on precautions i took: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117913503/#Comment_117913503 That may be useful.

If you go with Dr. McCormack, he will call you before the op and go through the risks with you. He doesn't sugar coat it, and it did scare me a bit. The likelihood of long-term pain are very low, but obviously as it is not zero, he has to warn you about it.

All i can say is that i was very careful at the time of the operation and for about 2 weeks afterwards and i have no regrets since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭iptba

Jennifer Zamparelli reveals regrets of having her ‘tubes tied’ at wrong time

Jennifer said there aren’t enough supports for women considering the surgery – and men getting vasectomies have a much easier time.

"What I found quite odd was that if a guy gets ‘the snip,’ he is offered lots of chats to make them think about it,” she told host Amy.

https://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/jennifer-zamparelli-reveals-regrets-of-having-her-tubes-tied-at-wrong-time-42084873.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

If Jen says it just it's worth reading, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Had my appointment with John McCormick last Thursday. Went in for the job, he examined me and informed me he wasn't able to do it. I had surgery for undescended nuts when i was a kid then had a torsion when I was a teenager. As such, there is some scar tissue and his process wouldn't be suitable for me. The only other option is surgery in the beacon which is much more invasive and approximately 3 times the cost.

Absolutely fuckin raging.😡

That is frustrating. Still, i guess it is better that he is upfront with you, rather than going ahead, doing a botched job and having you in pain for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Had mine with Dr John back in February. Was proactive with taking iboprofen so never really got any pain. Most I got was some stiffness when I was sitting down for too long but 1-2 minutes of walking around and I'd be back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

I found the reviews on here helpful so thought I'd throw my experience in too. I had mine done by John McCormick at the clinic in Athenry. Got it done back in April, only got around to sending the sample in for testing a few weeks ago and I'm all clear.

The procedure as completely pain free bar the mental anguish of imagining what was happening as I was lying on the bed. I was in and out the door in 30 mins. I took neurofen and paracetamol immediately after the procedure and continued these throughout the rest of the day. The following day, I took two rounds of neurofen and stopped after that as I felt I didn’t need any more painkillers.

It was so painless, I thought this guy might have ripped me off and done nothing but have a fiddle, but the tests came back good. Had a little bit of a ball ache for a week or two after but it was unremarkable. That was it.

I wore a jockstrap for a week after, Nike brand which I bought from SportsDirect.

I wouldn't say John is a people person but he knows what he's doing.

Had mine in May with a Dr Gallagher, pain was very moderate and for a very short time afterwards, all in all a very benign experience

sent in a sample in September and still a few swimmers, had to send in a second sample a month ago but no reply as of yet, be funny if the little buggers were still carrying luggage

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Just so you know guys Laya is covering up to 250€(well one per lifetime 😂) for Vasectomy on some plans.My one does .

Im booked in with dr.McCormick in the next 6 weeks.Hopefully it will all go well.

Did you get any paper confirmation after procedure ?

Best of luck.

Yes, i got a written lab report and confirmation in the post.

Only sent off my 'sample' on the 23rd, so I haven't gotten the results yet.

Dr. McCormick himself, he's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Have started the ball rolling on this with Dr. McCormick

Do you need to specifically state you want the no needle approach or is it assumed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Sorry lads, any jockstrap reccomendations?

• Advertisement

I ordered from amazon.de as the brexit thing was still making delivery a bit uncertain. I don't know if that is still an issue.

I ordered two different ones, as i wasn't sure if one wouldn't fit or whatever, and i didn't have time to go through multiple cycles of ordering. In any case, it worked out well, as you really need to have two. Hygiene is pretty important after an operation (even though the cut itself is tiny), so you don't want to be wearing the same one for a few days (especially as you need to wear it to bed as well). I changed them every morning and hand washed the one i just took off in the handbasin or shower, then dried it in the hotpress and it was good to go for the next day.

These are the two i ordered

www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07BZ1Z8QB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00CVG4OCG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

They were both good. Neither are particularly comfortable, especially when you are wearing them all day, but the first one above was less uncomfortable for me and they both keep everything well supported with no movement.

Best of luck. Mine went very well and i have no regrets, no pain past the first week or two, and even that was minimal.

Advertisement