Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Thanks lads.

Anyone any idea on the hospital itself, being any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I had it done 5 years ago. Does anyone get discomfort sometimes where the staple (or whatever the hard yoke in the sack making the loose pipe stick to something) is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭jj880

No discomfort here. Maybe 6 years since the op. I never asked or researched the exact procedure. Had it done in N Ireland. Wasn't aware they insert something 😳.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Afaik they burn the pipes to separate them and then staple them to something to stop them waving about.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭boccers

Sorry that reads a bit wrong so to clarify, I drove a 2 hour journey home after my procedure and left about 30 mins after I left the clinic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Can i ask, was this one the "normal" as opposed to the no scalple one? i'm seeing Paul tomorrow, as i wasn't a candidate to have it performed with John McCormick in cork.

Was it performed under local or general?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

It was performed under a local. Getting the local was the only pain, none for the procedure. It was only a small pinch.

I can't fully remember, I thought he had said at the time it was the no scalpel, but I had a small incision.

Paul is very approachable. Ask him any questions. Write them down in case you forget when you are in there. I forgot to ask him if I needed to shave beforehand.

The reason i can't get the local one is due to the extreme discomfort during the exam, John McCormick said i'd going to have to be sedated to get it done.

Really am kinda nervous about the sedation….and the recovery of the "full" job. don't want to miss training for weeks on end either.

Paul should be able to give you a good idea on how long you will need to take off. He recommended 2 weeks off of contact sport for me. I told him I play dodgeball, so he suggested 3 weeks due to the risk of a nut shot. Went back with no issues. Whitfield supplied a jockstrap after the procedure. Maybe ask Paul about that in case that has changed since.

Thanks for that, have my appointment this morning for the consultation at 9:30, i'll report back with how i get on.

• Advertisement

Well, getting it done under general is a LOT more expensive than i thought.

Everything has gone haywire. I was in Bon Secours clinic Galway yesterday. 220 euro for a consultation. Facking hell.

Howd you get on?

250 for the consultation today.

and the guts of 2500-3k for the procedure under general.

I can safely say i won't be going ahead with it for that price.

General does cost a lot more than the local.

I assume he agreed with the other doctor that local was unsuitable for you?

Yes my first doctor suggested going for general as local wasn't suitable.

Don't know what i'm going to do now, 3k is a lot of money

You could have another kid and save up the child allowance! 😅

Yeah thats a hefty price. At the time of my op 6 years ago I wouldve refused at that price also. All I can say now looking back is it would've been worth 3k in my case for the benefits and peace of mine Ive had since. Obviously thats personally speaking. If you're not 100% decided against I can go into details. It would be nothing new though on top of what Ive posted in the last 4 pages of this thread...

i'm not 100% against, it's just the 3k would go a lot further in other areas right now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

My snip was about 8 years ago now, didn't even look at the expensive option.

Was €500 in the Morehampton clinic in Donnybrook.

After all the faff about being asked to go to Belfast, connolly offered me a cancellation for next week! Getting real now!!

• Advertisement

Not yet, next Monday 😁

All done now. Just the waiting game for clearance!

Anesthetic needles were the worst of it for sure. Bit of a dull pain so far & paracetamol to keep it at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Got mine done 4 years ago now with Dr McCormack thanks to the recommendations posted here.

No issues since, but I've recently started to wonder if I should get a "status check" done again to make sure.

Has anyone done that a few years later and what did you do? Send a sample away somewhere (via GP? elsewhere?) or are those home tests from the likes of Boots good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mousie32

Hi everyone, can anyone recommend a clinic in the northwest / north of Ireland. I'm Donegal based but willing to travel. I've tried Ballykelly and was quoted 1800 - 2300 which I thought was expensive seeing as vasectomy are quoted e600 elsewhere. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Bedouin79

paid €550 in cork last year so those prices are huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 duffer33

Hi lads,

Just sharing my experience for those on the fence about the procedure. I'll update as my recovery continues.

I was massively concerned before going into the procedure and wasn't sure who to go with. Based on the high reviews of Dr John McCormick I decided to choose his clinic in Dublin.

Dr John rang me the day before, explained the risks involved and made sure I was happy to proceed. He was keen to stress that the procedure is virtually painless and I was very surprised how straight forward and painless it was.

Only slightly painful part was the anaesthetic and then I need an extra injection or two which the pain was minimal. Dr John completely put me at ease and the conversation was flowing and helped to make the procedure fly through quickly. There wasn't time to worry about what was happening and it was wonderful to be able to talk sport while going through a worrying and daunting procedure. I was hugely surprised how quick and painless the procedure was.

My advice would be to be careful when trying to buy a jock strap. The one I bought was a cup and there is a difference. Got the jock strap which Dr John recommended from elverys and it's been comfortable so far. It's called LP Athletic Supporter Cup. Dr John said tight boxers do the job too but heard a lot of positive feedback from the jock strap wearers.

I'll add in anything challenging about recovery as it happens but thank you to the advice from past posters which helped ease my concerns.

Is that for local anaesthetic? That price sounds closer to what someone recently got quoted here for general anaesthetic.

Hi jj880,

Thanks for responding. I have gone back to query that as I did read somewhere (on here or the website) that it was €600.

• Advertisement

Should of also added the initial consultation is £275

Advertisement