Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭adonai

re RISUG

Although RISUG research is grandfathered in India because of the multi-decade track record of use in men in clinical trials with no major safety problems, to gain approval outside India for RISUG or any similar contraceptive, researchers would have to duplicate older animal safety studies on a larger scale, with state-of-the-art instruments, for a longer study period, and with extensive record-keeping. Without those animal studies, approval for human studies is unlikely. Though men are eager for this new contraceptive and would like to accelerate the process, studies must start at the beginning.

www newmalecontraception org/risug/

We'll be waiting forever.

...mkay, seems vasagel will be here earlier

'and the goal is to have it on the market as an alternative to vasectomy as early as 2016, with a first clinical trial beginning in 2015.'

well not here but in the US.... sigh

www newmalecontraception org/ vasalgel/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Could a person who wanted it travel to the USA to get it or would they treat a non resident?
    From what I've read there's only a tiny incision and then the injection.

Could a lab in ireland then do the post procedure semen analysis and forward the results to the US for review by the clinic?

I doubt this would be possible at all.. but might be good idea to ask at the source

parsemusfoundation org/ vasalgel-home/

and again, people are recommending Dr John O’Keeffe [btw he was involved in failed vas once but I guess this just 'happens' [ independent ie/irish-news/ couple-win-damages-for-alleged-failure-of-vasectomy-26132554.html ]

and he says they went back to scalpel vasectomy as being better than no-scalpel [which is advertised as better in other places...]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dublinercheese

Vasectomy sounds like a bad idea. Post vasectomy pain syndrome is very common due to the pressure building up in the blanked of vas deferens. An alternative method is to leave the proximal end of the tube open to relieve the pressure. The downside of this is that it allows sperm out into the scrotum which then turn into granulomous cysts due to the immune system trying to destroy them. Harmless, but not pleasant I would imagine.

The sooner RISUG / Vasalgel becomes available here the better. It would be far better - just as effective and, importantly, reversible too. Also there is no cutting of the tubes or anything that would cause backpressure. The sperm can still pass through as normal but the gel coating on the tube deactivates the sperm so they can't fertilise an egg. It's a brilliant idea. Invented in India.

Post vasectomy pain syndrome is not common. Where are you getting this information? Even in the wikipedia article you quote, the statistics mention are small.

I do look forward to the RISUG/Vasalgel procedures. The more birth control options available, the better.

I agree. Also, I don't think such important thing can wait - I will be doing mine later this year for sure.

'Want to see Vasalgel make it to market? Since long-term methods aren’t a big money-maker (it’s a lot more profitable to sell pills to men’s partners every month), big pharma isn’t interested– so we’re relying on public support. With over 18,000 men and women waiting to hear about clinical trials, even $5 or $10 each will fund the monkey study (the last study needed before human trials). Stand up and be counted as a supporter! So far over 800 supporters have contributed to the study. Already donated? Here’s how else you can get involved:'

pheh... big pharma : ? hopefully they will make it through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Zipppy wrote: »
    vasectomyireland.ie operate out of Molesworth clinic..a DENTAL clinic....eh no thanks

It's just a room used within the place, no need for a large surgery or hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Anyone here get it done in Galway? What was it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

I'm signed up for it this month in Cork, 26th. Can't wait!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Hello, I am just looking for some advice and/or stories from people who have had the no scapal procedure done.

My husband is booked in to get it done which is something he does want to do.

However lately he has been searching the net and has found a lot of negative reviews on this regarding post pain.

He is now unsure as what to do.
    There is no doubt that he wants to get it done , he's just nervous after hearing what can go wrong.
    Has anyone any helpful insights on this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

jopax wrote:
    However lately he has been searching the net and has found a lot of negative reviews on this regarding post pain.

Dont be searching the net.....
    only bad news stories on everything there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

Dont be searching the net.....
    only bad news stories on everything there.

Good advise, 16 months since I got it done. No issues. Piece of cake to what would have been involved for my wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Thanks zippy & glebee, we have talked a lot about it, he is going to go ahead with it on thursday, hopefully all will be well.
    Definitely enough on the net to scare the bejasus out of anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Being done on the cheap with Vasectomy Ireland at the moment, €195 for anyone interested.

http://www.grabone.ie/dublin/vasectomy-ireland-12?utm_source=tradedoubler&utm_medium=campaign&utm_campaign=dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Being done on the cheap with Vasectomy Ireland at the moment, €195 for anyone interested.

http://www.grabone.ie/dublin/vasectomy-ireland-12?utm_source=tradedoubler&utm_medium=campaign&utm_campaign=dublin
    Posted by Small Balls :pac:

SmallBalls wrote:

Thats the dental clinic....

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Thats the dental clinic....

Nah, this is the one in Clane....just purchased one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

FFS! I paid €500 for the op in Clane a few months back. :(

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Nah, this is the one in Clane....just purchased one :o

Hmmm..been debating one for ages n ages....think I might buy
    chewed wrote: »
    FFS! I paid €500 for the op in Clane a few months back. :(

How was it?
    How long afterwards until you were back at 100%...

• Advertisement

Hmmm..been debating one for ages n ages....think I might buy

How was it?
    How long afterwards until you were back at 100%...

It's been over 9 weeks since the op! I still have to send in a sample to make sure it was successful, but it was grand overall. A bit sore (like that pain you get after a kick in the balls) for about a week. I had some painkillers which helped. After that it was fine and 100% after 2 weeks. :D

The actual op only takes 15 mins and is completely painless! I was able to drive home straight after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Laser or scalpel?

Laser meant to be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

€600-700 in Germany for the op. In at breakfast out by lunch. I think I'll save some cash and do it at home on my next visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Is it standard to get an injection into each ball beforehand or are there different ways?
    I'm a big baby about injections and a needle in the nuts is just not going to happen here. Have two kids and a third on the way, so am seriously thinking about this.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Supercell wrote: »
    Is it standard to get an injection into each ball beforehand or are there different ways?
    I'm a big baby about injections and a needle in the nuts is just not going to happen here. Have two kids and a third on the way, so am seriously thinking about this.

I feel the same way about the injection part! Would be interested to read responses from anyone who has gone through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

I was in the same boat but would not have a massive fear of needles. Slight pinch, no real pain. Dull ache afterward. All over in about twenty minutes. Drove home afterwards. Feet up for the weekend and took it easy for 3-4 days after this. No issues so far and done nearly two years at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It was on deal rush at the weekend ha!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Just got my letter today for Tallaght hospital, in 4 weeks. Happy days.

I just got my sample results this morning.

I'm now officially a Satsuma! :D

• Advertisement

glad that it worked out for ya.. http://www.vasectomy-information.com/ yet these stories are somehow rather worrying.

Advertisement