Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Map updates for Garmin Nuvi 255W

Options
  • 28-05-2011 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

I need to update the maps on a Nuvi 255w and am looking for advice on how best to update it. Can you only update via the Garmin store? And what are the pro/cons of Lifetime vs Once off?
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

I assume you are looking for the City Navigator® Europe NT maps, there's three ways you can get it, through online download, on a microSD/SD card or on DVD.

As regards the Lifetime versus Onetime map updates;
    Onetime;
    This one off Garmin map update will replace your Nuvi’s maps with the most current map information that is available from Garmin at the time that you buy it. nuMaps Onetime replace out of date and old content. The new information that you download to the product will contain the latest road changes, plus all routes and points of interest. This includes restaurants, hotels, banks and gas and petrol stations.

You can download a Garmin map update for the country you live in, or alternatively anywhere around the World – so it really doesn’t matter where you are driving. Garmin will get you there safely and accurate
    €88
    Lifetime;
    The nuMaps Lifetime purchase is a one-off buy and means that you can download the most current global map information that is available for streets, highways and points of interest – and as soon as new content is available. This is applicable for the lifetime of your Garmin Nuvi or Zumo sat nav.

The nuMaps Lifetime subscription lets a customer download a Garmin map update four times annually with no monthly subscription costs. It is available either as a direct download or on an SD card depending on which is easiest for you.
    €110

The only one thing I can say on them is regards the Lifetime update, this map update can only be used to update the preloaded maps that came installed on your Garmin device. For example, a Garmin GPS device preloaded with North America maps only cannot be updated with a nüMaps Lifetime Europe Map Update, and vice versa.

Hope this helps a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

wtd2008 wrote: »
    And what are the pro/cons of Lifetime vs Once off? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

As mentioned the 'lifetime' is for one particular unit and is not transferable ~ unit life is two to five years before faults show up, tumbling prices at the retail stores means cheaper units passing through their fabrication facilities.

For me the 'lifetime' update would need to be more flexible and transferable to new Garmin units as manufacturing limitations will render the unit unsuitable for your 'lifetime' update sooner than one would normally expect a 'lifetime' to last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Im looking to update my nuvi 255 too. I got one free update with the device when i got it about 3 years ago. But the update didnt include any of the new motorways at the time. Now that the motorways are all finished building it might be a good time for an update.
    But will it include all the new motorways? If it doesnt then there isnt much point in forking out the 59 euro for an update!
    Does anyone know what roads are on garmins latest updates?

Advertisement