Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D.I.D Laptop Returns today

Options
  • 28-05-2011 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

hey I got a laptop on monday just gone and i would like to return it today. I have never had to return anything but it is just not that powerful at all.

I would like to put it towards another laptop they have but to be honest there is not much there in there range.

Will they give me my money back its 7 days it that not the cooling off period or is that online.

?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

That "Cooling Off" period applies to online (distance selling) only, unless D.I.D had a specific policy of allowing returns..

Assuming they don't, and assuming you did not ask for a specific level of power (processor etc. i.e. you were missold that model) then you don't have any legal right to return.. D.I.D may decide to allow you to return it, but that would be a great gesture of goodwill on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

No chance of a refund especially if it's been opened. Unlikely to even get a credit note if it's been opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

its frezzing all the time since I got it

if i say that can I return it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

No They will take it for repair and if that doesn't work , replace it. You should have done your homework before buying it. Why should they be stuck with a used laptop thats worth proably less than they paid for it?

is there anyway to return it ?

I am not happy with the product and I would like to return it.

Thought there was a two week rule on returns

should I just ring them and see what they say ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

is there anyway to return it ?

I am not happy with the product and I would like to return it.

Thought there was a two week rule on returns

should I just ring them and see what they say ?

Only if
    a)you bought it using distance selling (phone, internet)
    or
    b) it's offered as part of shop policy or as part of the sales contract.

In the case of a) they're under no obligation to accept a return, give a credit note or offer even a partial refund.

However if you were mis-sold the laptop, i.e. the salesman told you it was something it wasn't, you may have a claim under the Sale of Goods and Services Act. Take note that being mis-sold something is not the same as you assuming something.

Go ahead, ring them and ask, it won't do any harm and might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

its frezzing all the time since I got it

if i say that can I return it ?

Define "freezing"...

There could be a problem with the laptop.. What programs are you attempting to run? and whats the problem?

Even if there is a problem, you are not necessarily going to get a refund.. The shop can offer repair, or replacement. If you don't accept you have the right to take them to the Small Claims Court, however the judge will likely take into account you have been offered proper legal alternatives by the vendor (i.e. you stand a good chance of losing).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Only if
    a)you bought it using distance selling (phone, internet)
    or
    b) it's offered as part of shop policy or as part of the sales contract.

In the case of a) they're under no obligation to accept a return, give a credit note or offer even a partial refund.

However if you were mis-sold the laptop, i.e. the salesman told you it was something it wasn't, you may have a claim under the Sale of Goods and Services Act. Take note that being mis-sold something is not the same as you assuming something.

Go ahead, ring them and ask, it won't do any harm and might work.
    god..youd be suprised how many people think they can buy stuff and just return it because "they dont need it" and then they go and start qouting the sales of good act when they are told they can not be refunded.

like it has a 2.6 processor I taught it would be fine.

But have a few different things open nothing major and its freezes I have never had problems with a laptop that way before.
    Welease wrote: »
    Define "freezing"...

There could be a problem with the laptop.. What programs are you attempting to run? and whats the problem?

Even if there is a problem, you are not necessarily going to get a refund.. The shop can offer repair, or replacement. If you don't accept you have the right to take them to the Small Claims Court, however the judge will likely take into account you have been offered proper legal alternatives by the vendor (i.e. you stand a good chance of losing).

Honestly just wanted a nice spec laptop and got this one thinking it could handle what I wanted it too do.

But the freezing it bad ever now and again.

All I want is too give it back and get a better spec laptop pay the extra hundred if I have too
    god..youd be suprised how many people think they can buy stuff and just return it because "they dont need it" and then they go and start qouting the sales of good act when they are told they can not be refunded.

• Advertisement

http://www.did.ie/content/Customer%20Service/358

Says here as long as its in the box you can return it in the space of a month.

Im not trying to cause a fuzz.

just wanted a better laptop and I should have just paid the money and got higher spec

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You have nothing to lose by going into D.I.D. and talking to them nicely about the laptop. Explain the freezing issue and how the laptop doesn't seem to perform as you expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Might be no harm emailing their customer service dept (use link on their website).
    Explain the situation nicely & see if they might make an exception and allow you to change it for an alternative laptop.
    Personally I reckon if you go in citing the sale of goods act 1980 when it does not apply in this case (change of mind) then you may only get their back up & they may be less inclined to assist you.

The problem with returning a laptop is that you have now used it, probably put your personal info on it.
    They can not now sell that as a new laptop.
    Its different if you bought a tv/toaster etc & it was still in the packaging, obviously it hadn't been used.
    They may be able to reset it to factory settings, but this is time consuming, so for these reasons they may not accept it as a return.

Think of it this way,its a but like you buying & using a 2 slice toaster, then deciding a few days later that you want a 4 slice toaster; its clearly used & they could not then sell it as new.

If there is a fault with it (freezing), they will need to have this assessed to ensure it is not user error/was not set up correctly.

For the record, I don't work for them but did work previously in a small electrical retailers so I'm familiar enough with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Please define "freezing" Its way too ambiigious. Also post up when and how it freezes. A direct link to the spec of the machine you have.

The reason I ask is many people buy netbooks etc and go purely on the processor speed i.e. 2.6Ghz is all I need. That isn't the case. A 1.4l car is very different from a 1.4l Turbo car. Your laptop may be freezing purely because your trying to do something that is just isn't of high enough spec to do. As such you have no grounds for a refund or replacement.

However, if its freezing do very basic tasks, it could be a fault. Please post up whats happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

http://www.did.ie/content/Customer%20Service/358

Says here as long as its in the box you can return it in the space of a month.

Im not trying to cause a fuzz.

just wanted a better laptop and I should have just paid the money and got higher spec

It says "in its original condition and packaging and resalable" which is a lot more than just being in its box.

Typically what happens is that the laptop has been powered up, software has been installed during the initial setup phase, plastic wrappings have been opened and possibly discarded, perhaps even seals broken on bundled CD/DVDs.

Would accept your new pride and joy if it came like this instead of pristine condition?

Probably more important than the CPU speed is RAM, how much has it got and what OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

From previous experience in retail, people tell you something is "freezing" all the time to chance their arm. We would not return it unless the fault can be demonstrated because 99% of the time, it's just somebody who wants to return a now second-hand product for full price.

Not saying that's necessarily what the OP is doing, I'm just saying if it was freezing, you'd have to be able to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭irishgoldberg

I know id be annoyed if I bought a new laptop, opened the box and found it had been used but you never know D.I.D. might take it back if you are nice and dont go with an attitude.

Advertisement