Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

We are travelling to Ireland from the UK and need some advice please.

• 28-05-2011 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I am new to this forum and although I live in the UK we are about to embark on a 4 week tour around Ireland and I am so, so very excited. Ireland is a country I have longed to visit and now we have a motorhome and a lot more free time to spare, we decided that this was the year to make our first trip.

We are starting off in Dublin; as we are going to suprise our daughter who will be visiting the city for her 25th birthday and she and her friends are flying over to enjoy a 3 night, mid week break there. She doesn't know mum and dad are going to be there too as she thinks we are off to Scotland but her friend says she was a bit sad that this would be the first time ever she had not spent her birthday with mum & dad, so hopefully she will be very pleased to see us. ;) Her friends all suggested it though so Im sure she will be delighted. :)

We would appreciate any tips re wildcamping and must see places to visit in Ireland and another thing I would appreciate some help with is mobile broadband internet connection? :confused:

I would really love to have internet connection during our trip as I know it will make travelling around and looking for info on where we are and where we are heading to so much easier. I own both an iPhone 4 and an iPad (lucky me) and apparantley, because neither are locked, I have been informed that I could in fact put an Irish PAYG Micro Sim in either or both devices and they should both work fine! Obviously, this would be a a lot cheaper than running up hefty data roaming charges but unfortunately, I cannot seem to find out where I can obtain such a Micro SIM card from or which company would be the best service provider for the iPad or iPhone in Ireland? I have looked at the Irish Vodafone website and they do actually provide a Micro SIM card ONLY for both the ipad and the iPhone 4 but you can only order them if you have a Republic of Ireland address! Vodafone do not charge for this SIM card and from what I can make out, the actual SIM cards themselves are completely FREE of charge but obviously Vodafone make their money when the customer tops up their SIM with credit.

Any suggestions please as to how I could obtain one of these Micro SIM cards or any other useful tips on how else I could connect cheaply to the Internet during our visit to Ireland?

Thanks in advance.

Sue

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Not sure about wanting an address for a PAYG sim card, but once you're in the country call in to any 3, meteor, 02 or vodafone shop and you should pick them up handy enough.

With regards to wild camping spots etc.. Check out the info on this forum here, and see what it gives you first off.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭irishllanaber

Hi Sue
    A bit of good news for you is that we are supposed to have the hottest june since the 70s!!! (we'll see).
    You should have a look at this site http://www.safenightsireland.com/locations.htm It is kinda semi wild camping on the cheap
    Have a great time:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If we get a good summer then you should have a ball, can't help you with the mobile but as others have said just go into a phone shop. Alot of hotels have wi-fi in the reception and bar just pop in and used it.

In dublin I would be a bit nervoue to wild camp, there aren't many camp sites ether. This is one but I know nothing about it http://www.camping-ireland.ie/parks/dublin.html

But it is near the lusa so you will be in and out of the city easily.

As for the rest of the counrty. Depending on the weather, you could go south the wexford, waterford, hook head would be food. But DO NOT camp close to the light house if there is a sea fog at night there fog horn will be lown. You can easliy camp at Kilmore Quay and other sea side towns.

If the weather is better on the west coast, CO Clare around loop head is really nice was camping years ago in a tent. Also Doolin and up around North Clare. Kinvara....

In the NW you should be fine in and around Inniscrone and Easkey or around Strandhill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

McDonalds provide free Wifi at most of their restaurants.
    Just park up and you should be able to access it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

Think you should head west. Belmullet is Ireland's best kept secret.
    No campsites out that way but it is the wildest and most spectacular part of the country.
    As you probably have some experience of wild camping then just observe what you know and all should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

But DO NOT camp close to the light house if there is a sea fog at night there fog horn will be lown.
    iirc fog horns are a thing of the past now. :) if you want to camp near a lighthouse :( if it's a sound from childhood holidays gone forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SkegnessSue

Thank you so much everyone for your very helpful replies, it is really greatly appreciated by both myself and my hubby. :)

We are getting really excited about our trip now and we are so looking forward to visiting your beautiful country and I just know we are going to have an amazing time.

Thanks again - you are ALL stars! :)

Sue x

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dorts

Hope you have a great time in our lovely wee country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Hope you have a great time Sue , and if you (hopefully not!) have any technical issues , anywhere around the midlands or west , give Us a bell . Galway , Kerry , West Cork , and the hills of Tipperary are all well worth seeing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

In four weeks you could easily drive around the entire coastline of the island with a night or two in many beautiful and interesting places.

Head south from Dublin and spend your first night in kilmore quay and then go from there.

That's what I would do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Hi Sue
    A bit of good news for you is that we are supposed to have the hottest june since the 70s!!!

:rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭irishllanaber

Happyman42 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: :D
    :o roll on Sunny July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭clionaricho

I Live in Dun Laoghaire so if you were coming or going from the boat there I could tell you where there are spots that you could very safely wildcamp at. Personal message me if you want details :-)

A loevly part of the country is west Cork, Glandore is beautiful. Or Caherdaniels in Kerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

If you are in the Kerry area a must is Mortimers, Mannix Point Camping & Caravan Park, Cahersiveen. It is a must have a look at the website www.campinginkerry.com

Hi Again,

Well we arrived at Dublin a few days ago and stayed 3 nights at the Camac Valley Campsite and currentlly we are parked up on the middle pier in Howth where we have enjoyed 2 lovely days watching all the boats coming and going from the Harbour.

So far we have enjoyed a fabulous introduction to Ireland and our daughter was delighted but gobsmacked when she walked into the pub at Temble Bar, Dublin (where she was staying) and saw mum and dad sitting there and it was an emotional time all round!

Aren't the Irish people so friendly? I must say, so far, we have certainly sampled the friendly welcome from everyone that we have been told so much about and I we have been amazed at how friendly everyone has been towards us. By the way after only a few days I have aquired a taste for Guiness!!!

We have purchased a Vodafone SIM for the iPhone and we are all set up and running now for 30 day internet connection and so, with iPhone to the ready, we are now fully equipped to start our trip around Ireland. We plan to head towards the West coast as we have been told the scenery that way is amazingly beautiful and this is where we really would appreciate your help, suggestions and advice.

Where do you suggest we should we head for from Howth and where do you think our first stopover should be? We like to wildcamp in beautiful locations with stunning views or in sleepy villages or towns full of Irish charm and character. We prefer NOT to stay in too touristy spots and much prefer to experience what we would describe as the "REAL" Ireland! Obviously we do not want to miss out on any MUST SEE tourist attractions during our trip but for wildcamping spots and overnight stopovers, we would love to either be parked up in our motorhome in some tranquil location or maybe head for a little Irish town/village where during our stay we can sit in the local pub and listen to some irish music, watch a live band or singer accompanied by a glass or 2 of Guiness!

We are not opposed to staying on campsites - but we do prefer the freedom of wildcamping where we can and we are also members of the SNI (Safe Nights Ireland scheme) http://www.safenightsireland.com/ so if anyone can suggest any of the SNI locations then that would be great too.

We really look forward to your replies.

Sue x

We have now decided to head across country towards Galway and then we intend to go south following the coast back round towards Dublin. So any suggestions of places to stay, visit or do enroute will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Sue x

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rockysdad

Hi Sue.
    Welcome to Ireland and have a great stay and enjoy our Country.

Don't know if you have this or not.
    Here is a link to some wild camping places. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56205280
    The GPS Coordinates are approximate, I have checked one or two on Google Earth and Street view. And found that Some of the GPS Coordinates are a bit off, some have very narrow roads to. So it would be wise to check first if your van is big.

Above all Stay safe and Enjoy your holidays. If your not sure don't stay.

If you are around County Sligo you could check this place out. http://www.thebeachbarsligo.com/

Anderson's Thatched Pub - Carrick on Shannon. here http://www.andersonspub.com/index.htm

Don't know anything about these though. But have heard the Craic is mighty.

I'm sure others will be along shortly with more info.

Once again enjoy your hols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Hi Sue,
    Delighted to hear you're heading out west. It surely is a beautiful part of the country with an abundance of all you mentioned above awaiting you.
    But, by going to Galway and then heading south before returning to Dublin means you are missing so much of what you call the "real Ireland". Mayo, Sligo and Donegal are full of friendly quaint villages with chatty locals and great music. Spectacularly rugged coastlines, unspoilt beaches make up some of the most fantastic scenary in the country.
    As you travel around you can find campervans wildcamping in the most beautiful spots you can imagine.
    ( I might get a job with Bord Failte ) Anyway Sue, wherever you go I hope you have a great time and bring great stories home to your friends and encourage them all to come over to visit us.
    Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I've never stayed there but kinvara galway looks good, you'll have no problem pariking up in doolin Co Clare but it's a bit of a tourist trap, there is a big car park with toilets and water at the far end of the village out by the pier.

Liscannor is only down the road from doolin, not sure where you could park (probably by the harbour) but it would be good for a meal and a few pints.

Loop head would be on my list it well work a look stunning sea clifs....

Can you run your iphone into a wireless hot spot and use a laptop? Would be handy for goodle earth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

demoreino wrote: »
    Hi Sue,
    Delighted to hear you're heading out west. It surely is a beautiful part of the country with an abundance of all you mentioned above awaiting you.
    But, by going to Galway and then heading south before returning to Dublin means you are missing so much of what you call the "real Ireland". Mayo, Sligo and Donegal are full of friendly quaint villages with chatty locals and great music. Spectacularly rugged coastlines, unspoilt beaches make up some of the most fantastic scenary in the country.
    As you travel around you can find campervans wildcamping in the most beautiful spots you can imagine.
    ( I might get a job with Bord Failte ) Anyway Sue, wherever you go I hope you have a great time and bring great stories home to your friends and encourage them all to come over to visit us.
    Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

agree with kevin here
    i know you cant see everything on your trip but at the very least try achill island out.its in county mayo and you can then travel south down the coast.one of the best locations in the country(imho).you can wildcamp if you want too
    http://www.achillcamping.com/
    safe travels and i hope the weather stays dry for you
    slan go foill(goodbye for now)

• Advertisement
Advertisement