Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland and the Spanish Civil War History(Special Topic) HELP!

Options
  • 28-05-2011 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi! I still have NOT yet decided on my S.T. for the History exam. I am thinking of maybe Ireland and the Spanish Civil War? I need a little bit of info on it for my exam which os on Tuesday, I know it's late but I really want to pass this exam! If anyone has information on this Topic please share it with me because I can't find anything!! I realy enjoy European History(WW1,2 Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini and all that) so can you give me a few topics that are interesting and easy to do please???

So give me all the information you have on this Special Topic so I can pass my exam.... HELP NEEDED A.S.A.P.!! Thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Hi! I still have NOT yet decided on my S.T. for the History exam. I am thinking of maybe Ireland and the Spanish Civil War? I need a little bit of info on it for my exam which os on Tuesday, I know it's late but I really want to pass this exam! If anyone has information on this Topic please share it with me because I can't find anything!! I realy enjoy European History(WW1,2 Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini and all that) so can you give me a few topics that are interesting and easy to do please???

So give me all the information you have on this Special Topic so I can pass my exam.... HELP NEEDED A.S.A.P.!! Thanks. :)

Some good links in this thread on p.ie

http://www.politics.ie/history/150611-international-brigades-spanish-civil-war.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Excellent coverage of this topic in The Irish and the Spanish Civil War, 1936-39 by Robert Stradling.

Stradling is a Welsh historian who covers Irish involvement on both sides of the war comprehensively and dispassionately. Absolutely no Christy Moore-style "Viva la Quinta Brigada" b.s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Excellent coverage of this topic in The Irish and the Spanish Civil War, 1936-39 by Robert Stradling.

Stradling is a Welsh historian who covers Irish involvement on both sides of the war comprehensively and dispassionately. Absolutely no Christy Moore-style "Viva la Quinta Brigada" b.s.

this is a good book, i read it a few years ago and it gives a non judgemental view on both sides in that war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Actually did my special topic on this exact subject, very interesting part of history altogether.

The book 'The Connolly Column' by Michael O'Riordan is an excellent account of the experiences of the Irish volunteers on the Republican side. It is extremely biased towards the activities of the UK in the Spanish Civil War bordering on conspiracy, probably due to the authors Communist party membership. However for a specific overview from a veteran it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ECF

In Red and Green: The lives of Frank Ryan might also be a good book to help you with your research

• Advertisement
Advertisement