Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

supplies esp food colouring

Options
  • 28-05-2011 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Hi!

I'm brand new to baking and I was hoping to make Red Velvet cupcakes but I can't find red food colouring (I'm in Dublin 8 close to city centre)!

I also couldnt get vanilla essence in Tescos- which I was surprised by!

Where can I get my hands on things like food colouring and other baking supplies if I can't get them in my local supermarket?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Both red food colouring and vanilla essence should be readily available in all the big supermarkets. I know that Stock has a baking section and there's Kitchen Complements too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Every big supermarket should sell that stuff, try Dunnes on Georges Street (i've definitely gotten vanilla essence there before) or Tesco in Temple bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

thanks guys! ill keep looking! :) fingers crossed my first attempt at baking isnt a disaster!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You should be able to get this vanilla extract in most big supermarkets:

pure-vanilla-extract.jpg

And try to get Dr. Oetker food colouring - it's the most vibrant.

is vanilla extract the same as vanilla essence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

No, extract is made from vanilla pods soaked in alcohol/water, whereas essence is a manufactured flavouring. (at least that's how it is here in Ireland)

You have to make sure it's a tesco's extra. Tesco chain stores have different sizes, Extra, Express, etc. Extras have pretty much everything.

Normal Tescos have the basics (and they are basics) like food colouring and essence. It doesn't have to be Tesco Extra. The Express ones probably wouldn't have them though although I've never been to one.

I found Vanilla essence in Fresh on Camden st. I've left off the food colouring on this occasion so they're Devil's Food cupcakes but they'll taste the same!

I'll pick up some food colouring in advance next time I'm in a decent supermarket.

Thanks all- they're just out of the oven and smell amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You should check out Kitchen Compliments just off Grafton St. next time, they have loads of stuff and a big choice in colours, really lovely little shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Too late for you now but Stock (just round corner from Kitchen Complements, facing Stephens Green shopping centre) definitely has all sorts of food colouring. They are rip-off expensive but they seem have a MASSIVE selection of cool baking stuff (including loads of fancy Wilton icing stuff)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

to get the best red colour, use a red food colouring paste, I don't think supermarkets supply pastes but stock and Kitchen Compliments might. I know www.stuff4cakes.ie definitely supply colour pastes.

Stock definitely has the pastes, as does www.kitchencookware.ie

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

CBFi wrote: »
    is vanilla extract the same as vanilla essence?

No, like nothing said, essence is only fake manufactured shíte really. You'll get far superior results if you use extract (although it's naturally significantly more expensive). I'm not really a fan of vanilla and I still lash at least a teaspoon of extract into almost everything I bake. It's like the difference between cooking chocolate and finest quality Belgian or Swiss chocolate.

Also, while coloured pastes are great, I'd be hesitant to use them in a red velvet cake. If the recipe calls for liquid colouring, I'd use it, or else you'll probably need to add some extra moisture if you use a paste to get the correct texture. A paste needs to be well beaten in to get the final colour, and if it's wrong, you need to add more and mix again. Overmixing a cake mixture will just lead to a tough batter and it won't be half as nice. With a liquid, you know with a stir or two whether the colour is okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

I've only made one red velvet cake but I did mix the paste with the oil to avoid overmixing and to ensure that the colour would mix all the way. I think the recipe called for 2 or 3 tablespoons of liquid colouring, as the recipe I was using had oil in it I figure the end result wouldn't be too dry. It wasn't and the colour was great, I can't imagine that liquid colour would make such a deep rich colour. I have to say I'm not really a fan of red velvet cake anyway, a chocolate cake would be way better for me :)

Thanks tootired- I just love the colour and the lighter taste than a proper chocolate cake... but mostly the colour ;)

Thanks Faith- good advice...I would have thought more mixing would make it fluffier. Amateur mistake! :)

Advertisement