Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquin Half Price Offer

Options
  • 28-05-2011 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

Saw some multipack bars on offer in Superquin yesterday so i decided to buy some for nieces & nephews they were advertised with a shelf edge label as being half price for any 4 pack of several listed bars including cadburys dairymilk, fruit n nut, caramel etc.

Now on the same shelf and mixed in with all the 4pack bars were a load of 4pack bars which were flashed with 50% extra free! so i assumed they were included in the offer as they were on the same shelf and there was nothing to say they were not included as they are indeed a 4pack of bars albeit with 50% free!

when i got to the till the offer was not registering so i called for help and the assistant who asked a manageress both concurred that although it was wrong Superquin HQ would not allow them sell flashed goods at special offer rates and that i would have to pay full price for the bars, i popped across to aldi and got a lot more for a lot less, but is seems Superquin management would cut their nose off to spite their face a lose good customers over greed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

It's the brands that control the offers not superquinn or Tesco. The reg 4 pack was probably supplied at a discount to enable half price whereas the 50% extra were not. Good practice would have seen them give them to you at the new offer and then take them off sale until the 50% off offer was over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

maxer68 wrote: »
    It's the brands that control the offers not superquinn or Tesco. The reg 4 pack was probably supplied at a discount to enable half price whereas the 50% extra were not. Good practice would have seen them give them to you at the new offer and then take them off sale until the 50% off offer was over.
    But if i offer you something at €4 and advertise it as being half price i am falsly advertising unless i sell at that price, if the new product has 50% or even 100% free it cant be counted into the original pack size to calculate the price or it is again false advertising as there was no other prices available to distinguise between the shelf offer and the on pack offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭robo

I was in Superquinn HQ last weekend & got the own brand packet ham & grated cheese for €4 I think. I double checked the offer & the labels to make sure I had the right items marked under the offer. I went to the self-service til & when I scanned & went to pay - I saw that the discount was not applied. So I called a worker over. They took a while but concurred that it should have been included so told me to pay the whole amount & then take my receipt over to the sweets & off-licence til to get a refund.
    My gripe is that I am sure some others probably got the offer & didn't realise that there was no discout applied. I only noticed it as I got a few things. If others had it in a trolley load of shopping, Superquinn HQ could get away with that.

Hope that they improve!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Why are people still shopping in this rip off shop?

Aldi \ Lidl all cheaper so more money for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Because the food in Superquinn is waaaaaaay more tasty!

I had an offer that didn't work too, the check out operator just called someone who looked at what I picked up, didn't check it at all, just asked me what i thought it should have cost and changed the price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Never had any problem with stuff similar but at higher price being put together in Lidl or Aldi - they seem to operate in a different way - that's one reason why I prefer to do most of my shopping with them. Have been caught too many times by Tesco, Superquinn, Supervalu etc. often not realising till I checked my receipt at home. Now I always check as they have a habit of putting a similar item at a higher price in the spot where the offer is supposed to be. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭freebee23

I remember something quite similar to the OP's complaint. Was purchasing Birds Eye Chicken Dippers in a different chain of stores and they had an offer on the std pack at half price. There was some mixed in std packs with 50% extra free with no price displayed.

We purchased them and were told that they were different products (different bar codes and the like ) and that the offer was not valid.

However after talking with the consumers association of Ireland who classed the extra pack as "Extra Fill" and that if there was no price on the shelf the offer should be valid, however was told to ensure there was no signs up saying "Not valid in conjunction with any other offer" or similar get out clause.

So OP should carefully check the wording of the offer and if there was no issue highlighted prior to purchasing the extra fill packs of confectionery in the half price offer then they should go back and raise this with the store manager.

I must say that Superquinn have always been very accomodating when I had any similar dealings with them and I am very surprised that they did not honour the sale.

Hope this helps,
    Cheers
    Freebee23

freebee23 wrote: »
    I remember something quite similar to the OP's complaint. Was purchasing Birds Eye Chicken Dippers in a different chain of stores and they had an offer on the std pack at half price. There was some mixed in std packs with 50% extra free with no price displayed.

We purchased them and were told that they were different products (different bar codes and the like ) and that the offer was not valid.

However after talking with the consumers association of Ireland who classed the extra pack as "Extra Fill" and that if there was no price on the shelf the offer should be valid, however was told to ensure there was no signs up saying "Not valid in conjunction with any other offer" or similar get out clause.

So OP should carefully check the wording of the offer and if there was no issue highlighted prior to purchasing the extra fill packs of confectionery in the half price offer then they should go back and raise this with the store manager.

I must say that Superquinn have always been very accomodating when I had any similar dealings with them and I am very surprised that they did not honour the sale.

Hope this helps,
    Cheers
    Freebee23
    Tanks freebee23, there was nothing stating that the offer was not valid in conjunction with other offers but that is exactly what the staff told me, that head office would not permit two offers on one product. So they should have sold the 50% extra packs to me for half price as it was not stated on either offer "not valid in conjunction with any other offer":(

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Your case Foggy shows that consumers have to be constantly on the alert when shopping. That was second nature to our parents but a lot of folk have lost it during the tiger days when paying over the odds was seen as a sign of wealth and sense was seen as stupid.

parsi wrote: »
    Your case Foggy shows that consumers have to be constantly on the alert when shopping. That was second nature to our parents but a lot of folk have lost it during the tiger days when paying over the odds was seen as a sign of wealth and sense was seen as stupid.
    I can remember going to the local shop on a Wednesday evening with a handful of change and a bag of "deposit" bottles to buy a sliced pan for school lunches.

Sometimes we would just have the bottles and get margerine or flour with the deposit/refund for my mother to make bread for our lunches, These days its throw the kids a fiver each to get lunch in Spar or Centra!

• Advertisement
Advertisement