Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cheapo/old-style freewheel removal

• 28-05-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

I need to replace two broken spokes on the rear wheel of my crappy commuter mountain bike. Thing is, I reckon I need to get the cassette off to get the spokes in the hole and the damn thing won't budge. It's the old freewheel design (cheap ****e) and I've been going at it with the extractor, adjustable wrench and chain whip and there's been no movement.

Is there some trick to getting these things off? Is it easier if you clamp it in a bench vise and turn the wheel? Or after 25000km or so and 7 years of abuse is this thing just not coming off?

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Anyone have any luck?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Yeah,put the remover in a vice(if you have one)and turn the whole wheel,a small spray of lube in behind the freewheel can help a bit,just a small spray though you dont want to get oil inside the freewheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You don't need the chain whip. Clamp the extractor in a vice pointing up, place freewhel onto extractor, turn wheel anticlockwise to unscrew freewheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

cdaly, you're right. Went back to it just after reading this thread and realised I'd mixed up freehub removal process with the freewheel procedure, Ooopsie. Was still pretty stiff without the whip but I managed to get it off pretty handy once I was actually doing the right thing.

Thanks for the responses guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Traditional screw-on freewheels get tighter and tighter as you cycle, since you're tightening them (more or less) with every turn of the pedals. I used to have to place a long box spanner around the freewheel extractor and use my leg to get enough force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Dude your going to be along time getting a freewheel off with a chain whip :p

Sometimes they do be properly seized on, Usually I get a Adjustable wrench and stick a Length of old downtube into the adjustable wrench, the extra leverage usually sorts it out!

Or as mentioned use a Bench vice, if you have one, and room to turn the wheel :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement