Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blue Ray Drive wont read Audio Cd's

• 28-05-2011 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

It reads everything else. Is this a common problem or is something wrong with mine?

It's a Slimtype BD E DS4E1S

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

What happens when you put an audio cd in. (Does it recognise the disk at all?). You could try and update the firmware (try the official site). Have you tried other cd's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

chin_grin wrote: »
    What happens when you put an audio cd in. (Does it recognise the disk at all?). You could try and update the firmware (try the official site). Have you tried other cd's?

The only cd that hasnt worked is an audio cd. Just wont recognise it. I tried a PC CD-Rom Game there and it read it.

Problem just seems to lie with CD's. It says my drivers are up to date.

Anyone heard of problems like this? It's really irritating. It just shows as ther is no disk in the drive :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It could be a software problem, Ive seen this before, double clicking the drive trying to play the audio cd doesnt work, if you try to play the cd manually in media player/vlc does it register? I doubt it is the laser if it reads CD-Rom discs, as audio discs use the same laser, to fix the software problem go into program access and defaults in XP/Default Programs in Vista/7 and set something like windows media player to accept all defaults, this may fix it

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    It could be a software problem, Ive seen this before, double clicking the drive trying to play the audio cd doesnt work, if you try to play the cd manually in media player/vlc does it register? I doubt it is the laser if it reads CD-Rom discs, as audio discs use the same laser, to fix the software problem go into program access and defaults in XP/Default Programs in Vista/7 and set something like windows media player to accept all defaults, this may fix it

Nick

It hasn't seemed to fix it. I can't recall if it was different before but I have mounted a virtual drive to use an iso before and I have burned an iso onto a cd-rom. Would any of these affect it?

• Advertisement

shizz wrote: »
    It hasn't seemed to fix it. I can't recall if it was different before but I have mounted a virtual drive to use an iso before and I have burned an iso onto a cd-rom. Would any of these affect it?

Can you play an audio CD by going into windows media player and picking the CD Drive as source? How many audio CDs have you tried? Just the one? Does the cd case say anything like "Copy Controlled" or protected?

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Can you play an audio CD by going into windows media player and picking the CD Drive as source? How many audio CDs have you tried? Just the one? Does the cd case say anything like "Copy Controlled" or protected?

Nick

Just tried a couple more cd's there and it's reading cd-r's that i burned music on to no problem. But it wont read any of the Official music Cd's i've tried.

Bit of an update. Just tried an old cd. Metallica's Kill em all to be precise and it played it no problem. I suspect some sort of copyright issue?

Its probably a copy protection scheme, What cd is it btw, some of these DRM systems installed rootkits and all sorts of unwanted junk

Nick

Well the cd i was trying with was Ascendancy by Trivium but I have tried other cd's like By the way by the RHCP and some Alter Bridge cd's. Im going to see if it will rip on another laptop. Could it be a privacy setting on my computer?

• Advertisement

Tried the cd on my other laptop and as i expected it read them and was able to rip them. There must be some sort of security setting preventing me from reading them. any ideas?

Advertisement