Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem only connects at 2MB?

• 28-05-2011 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Think we were upgraded from 2MB to 3 with the round of upgrades a while back...Think once or twice my router (the 2247-2 piece of crap they give you with eircom :P) connected at 3 but nowadays its just connecting as "Speed
    2048/256 (kbps)"
    Pretty sure no matter how crap my line is and eircom are in general....it must be able to do better than that :confused:

Tried upgrading my router...no luck....
    Is there anything i might be able to try to get it's speed up to 3MB? (and yes i know...not much of an upgrade but what can you expect with the state of broadband here)

Also....got charged for the first time for going over their lowly download allowances......So might be time to look into another provider....Think Vodafone is available...Who else are my choices? (is there anyway to check upc? not hopeful though...in mayo)

And can't be much worse than eircom anyway can they?
    Thanks! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭burrentech

Think we were upgraded from 2MB to 3 with the round of upgrades a while back...Think once or twice my router (the 2247-2 piece of crap they give you with eircom :P) connected at 3 but nowadays its just connecting as "Speed
    2048/256 (kbps)"
    Pretty sure no matter how crap my line is and eircom are in general....it must be able to do better than that :confused:

Is there anything i might be able to try to get it's speed up to 3MB? (and yes i know...not much of an upgrade but what can you expect with the state of broadband here)

Also....got charged for the first time for going over their lowly download allowances......So might be time to look into another provider....Think Vodafone is available...Who else are my choices? (is there anyway to check upc? not hopeful though...in mayo)

Eircom, and all other DSL providers will limit your connection to what they deem to be acceptable on your line. Even though you're paying for 3mb, you may only be able to get 2mb.

Unless you move to another form of connection you'll probably end up with the same connection speed. UPC do have a checker on their website, you can always give them a call too. TBH, unless you're in a fairly large town, they're unlikely to be able to provide internet services :(

There is the option of the fixed wireless providers. Westnet and Airwire are two that I found offering service to Co. Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

2048/256 (kbps)"

Post your line stats. If you move to another DSL provider, you'll still have the same service. only other options would be fixed wireless, satellite or mobile broadband - all of which aren't up to the standard of even 2/3mb DSL.

Call UPC or check their website to see if they're available - doubtful, you're probably in a remote location for UPC, if all you can get via DSL is 2/3mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Sometimes the DSL resellers and eircom even pull a stunt where they reclassify a line as "amber" even if it worked acceptably at 2 mbps before. The telecoms companies sometimes just don't have a clue.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056229043

Advertisement