Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamster Question

• 28-05-2011 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

yep thats what hamsters do. Eat sleep and poop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

What you need to do is give him a seperate toilet and house I gave up on houses with hamsters and used to just give them a good few sheets of plain white kitchen paper, then they would make their beds in a corner.
    If you give him a few little places to hide rather than just one he'll pick which he wants to use for what.
    They generally pee in the same place so if you clean out his whole cage (use white vinegar to get pee stains off) and then place his toilet in the area he prefers to go in, ie don't put anything in for the first day and see where he starts to pee then use that corner as his loo.
    You can buy hamster loos and use chinchilla sand for that area.

Once he's given a few hidey place options then he'll sort it out himself.

How big is the cage itself?
    Plastic houses generally get chewed zooplus have some timber houses which are safer to chew and look real cute plus hammies love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Hi
    its quite common for hamsters to mess in their bedding/house area they're not the cleanest of animals. We've had quite a few over the years and all but one have done this and all have lived past the ripe old age of 4, we had one who did this and lived for 6yrs quite happily.
    Just a word of warning make sure you handle him/her everyday as if left unhandled they get to be nippy little devils.

I never found syrian hamsters dirty per say more they can be a little untidy once you establish a toilet area his home will be a lot cleaner, but obviously any caged animal needs cleaning regularly and it depends on the bedding. I used Carefresh it was much better than woodchips.

The toilet area itself you can clean out every other day then the cage itself once a week depending on the size of the cage and what bedding/litter you use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

I never found syrian hamsters dirty per say more they can be a little untidy once you establish a toilet area his home will be a lot cleaner, but obviously any caged animal needs cleaning regularly and it depends on the bedding. I used Carefresh it was much better than woodchips.

The toilet area itself you can clean out every other day then the cage itself once a week depending on the size of the cage and what bedding/litter you use.

We always cleaned the cages twice a week and only ever managed to get 1 to use a toilet. We always used woodchips and if i'm honest never knew there was a better alternative. But we loved them anyway they are funny little things. We have guinea pigs now and they are adorable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I'd just leave a few different houses in there for him and once he picks one to pee in his unlikely to pee anywhere else.
    Just remember don't use the same material for the toilet as you'd use for his bed or floor litter.

I used as mentioned the carefresh as a general floor litter, only plain white kitchen roll as bedding and chinchilla sand as the toilet.

Great you're handling him some are nippy little monkeys they're so much more fun if you can handle them. If you ever want to give him a good run around but worry someone might step up him you can (ensure it's dry first) place some towels and hidey places in to the bath and he can run about there without being able to climb out.

I love Syrians shouldn't have favourites but always preffered them to dwarf hammies. It's just a pity they don't have longer life spans because they're lovely little critters too many get shoved into a corner when kids get bored of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Advertisement