Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French HL written section- topics likely??

• 28-05-2011 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Was just wondering what topics are likely to come up in the French written section higher level..
    Have any predictions? Is the stuff usually topical to the time the paper was set?
    Is there any topics that come up every year, I can't seem to see any patterns though:eek:
    Thinking something like natural disasters and healthy healthy eating might come up, but that's only because my teacher said it might:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Completely random.

Multiple papers are written up at multiple times the year before the exam. Absolutely anything can come up. Considering most would have been written around the end of 2010 / start of 2011 likely topics could be

Injustice and revolution (Human Rights) - Middle East protests
    Sectarianism - Church bombings on New Year's Eve in Egypt
    How social media is changing the world - Middle East protests

I'd take all predictions (Even mine) with a pinch of salt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

Completely random.

Multiple papers are written up at multiple times the year before the exam. Absolutely anything can come up. Considering most would have been written around the end of 2010 / start of 2011 likely topics could be

Injustice and revolution (Human Rights) - Middle East protests
    Sectarianism - Church bombings on New Year's Eve in Egypt
    How social media is changing the world - Middle East protests

I'd take all predictions (Even mine) with a pinch of salt though.

Thanks for those, they actually sound possible, more possible than my teacher's predictions anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Very hard to predict... but I would think of : unemployment/la crise/le chomage, iphone/internet, road safety (there have been changes to the point system/penalties this year that were planned for quite a while).

Check out this site, articles are written with young people in mind, and are very close to what you get in HL French (awful pity about all the flash bits and ads on, taking ages to load on my bad connection). http://www.infosjeunes.com/sitemap/

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

The papers were set back in October or November, I think! So the main news topics from that time were the speed cameras, footballers (do they earn too much etc, them cheating) the recession. I'm also learning stuff on racism, bullying, terrorism and road safety!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

They are things that relate to our lives so it is safe to say that politics etc. are a no-go area. Q1 usually deal with Society and stuff.

I think unemployment, rescession etc. type questions will be Q1 and then politics, human rights will be Q4 (because it's optional)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

It's really hard to predict but I am thinking........ Economic crisis stuff, natural disasters ...... I guess the usual really!

Also I wouldnt rule out any topics from the start of this year ..... Haiti was on the geography paper last year and that was feb so it must have been finalised around te ends of febuary. I think they are setting the papers later these days cause it is easier to print off.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

They are random, there are no patterns whatsoever.
    All you can do really is make sure you have a varied vocab to cover topics (le racisme, la crise économique, les médias et les nouvelles technologies, l'alcool et les drogues, l'actualité en général) and know your essay structures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

unemployment/la crise/le chomage, iphone/internet, road safety (there have been changes to the point system/penalties this year that were planned for quite a while).

I think unemployment is too obvious and alot of people will have it coverd from the oral. Internet came up in 2009 but I sapose it could come up again. I think they're goin' to keep it relatively related to young people & also something about driving licences came up last year and was about road safety aswell was in the comprehension though.

Advertisement