Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning slate floor tiles

• 28-05-2011 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

Can anyone advise on how to clean cream slate floor tiles with ridges......the dirt seems to get caught in the ridges and it is so difficult to clean with a normal mop and cleaner.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I had those type of tiles in my last house & the only thing that worked for me was a steam cleaner. hth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭onway

Did you have your own steam cleaner or did you get someone in ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You can buy steam cleaners in the likes of woodies or homebase for around €30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

i have these tiles. I clean them with tile acid for slate every 6 months or so. Sometimes just before a big occasion but in between it seems to be fine.

Go to the tile shop where you bought them and tell them of your problem they will advise you of a cleaning solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I just used a cheapo home steamer, worked a treat :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I find mops just push dirt around to settle into grooves and hollows in the slate.
    Every now and then, whenever I've got the energy, I give the floor a good scrubbing with a deck brush and ordinary general cleaner (e.g. Flash). Then I use an old cheapo wet & dry vacuum bought from Lidl/Aldi to lift the dirty water, followed by a good rinse with clean water and another lap with the wet & dry. The vacuum works wonders because you're not leaving the dirt behind, and the floor dries in half the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

i have these tiles. I clean them with tile acid for slate every 6 months or so. Sometimes just before a big occasion but in between it seems to be fine.

Go to the tile shop where you bought them and tell them of your problem they will advise you of a cleaning solution.

Would the acid not damage the sealer even at very dilute solutions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Would the acid not damage the sealer even at very dilute solutions?

There is specific cleaner for the tiles that does not strip the sealer. If you go to a tile shop they will explain. But you are correct in saying i should not be calling it acid. Bad habit sorry.

Advertisement