Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation for incoming first years?

Options
  • 28-05-2011 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm a current 6th year student, and I've searched the DIT forum for links to student accommodation, etc, but I can't find much information.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'll be going on my own, and there's no on campus accommodation, so I've no idea what to do.

Do most first years just rent houses with others or something?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

The Student Union has some info here: http://ditsu.ie/accommodation

and some links here: http://ditsu.ie/accommodation-available

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

More info will become available over the summer. At this point it's early to be thinking about accommodation. Enjoy your summer and start worrying about that in August!

One tip though, don't end up in Herberton whatever you do. It's DIT accomodation in Rialto. Awful prices for apartments in a fairly rough area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Thanks. :)

Forgot to mention that the course will be in Cathal Brugha street and since I'm from Waterford, I don't even have a clue where that is, so finding accom is a bit of a mess.. :o

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Thanks. :)

Forgot to mention that the course will be in Cathal Brugha street and since I'm from Waterford, I don't even have a clue where that is, so finding accom is a bit of a mess.. :o
    It's right off O'Connell St and pretty well served by transport. The red Luas line and a whole host of buses from both sides of the city serve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

dit accom is way too expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 tommy.obr

You should look for somewhere around Drumcondra, its a real studenty area, and its pretty safe too. the buses will bring ya right into o Connell st. Theres a ton of different colleges near by so its more than likely that at least one person from your school will be looking for accomodation in the area. Regardless, theres plenty of people looking for someone to rent with with. I spent five years in bolton st and always lived in Drumcondra, its the place to be. All the teaching colleges are up than way, St. Pats, Marino, Mater Dei. And they're 90% women so ya cant go wrong.:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Seconded on the Drumcondra option. I would also heartily recommend Phibsboro- I lived there for 4 years and loved it. If you are looking Southside then Rathmines is where most of the student types hang out.

If you are not afraid to do a bit of homework and spend some time on DAFT and hitting the streets then I would recommend looking for a houseshare in any of those areas

Thanks a million guys! :)

How far would Drumcondra/Phibsboro be from DIT on the bus? The only places Ive ever been in Dublin is O'Connell St/Ballsbridge. :o

Someone recommended Mountjoy Square to me too..?

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Thanks a million guys! :)

How far would Drumcondra/Phibsboro be from DIT on the bus? The only places Ive ever been in Dublin is O'Connell St/Ballsbridge. :o

Someone recommended Mountjoy Square to me too..?
    Ten minutes, maybe 15/20 in traffic but you'd walk to Drumcondra in the same!

Voltwad wrote: »
    Ten minutes, maybe 15/20 in traffic but you'd walk to Drumcondra in the same!

Cool, thanks. I'll keep an eye around for threads popping up with other first years looking for accommodation or something! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 clare girl 93

help...freakin out big time.. am startn in dit dis sept bt avent a clue where to go for accommodation... i want sme where that wud b good and lively and plenty of ppl 4rm dit.. ave looked at griffith halls nd heraberton nd dey luk good bt r dey gud places to go to for your 1st year??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

help...freakin out big time.. am startn in dit dis sept bt avent a clue where to go for accommodation... i want sme where that wud b good and lively and plenty of ppl 4rm dit.. ave looked at griffith halls nd heraberton nd dey luk good bt r dey gud places to go to for your 1st year??

Standard English please, with some capitals and punctuation if possible.
    Do not use text speak here.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Marenghi

What would be good accommodation for a Kevin St student?
    I've been looking at some of those student apartment complexes but they seem expensive if you don't want a shared room. What cost in bills would I be looking at if I took a studio apartment.

Advertisement