Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help With Backup

• 28-05-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Need advise please.

I have a desktop(xp) and laptop(vista) that are both connected to a 1tb NAS via my router.

I want to do a full & complete backup of each computer (a copy of everything,my data, my programs, my settings and the operating system)

What program is the best to use for a newbie?

Preferably something that can fully backup & fully restore through a wizard and schedule a weekly backup.

Willing to pay for a good program.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

clonezilla:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sandisk

I've been using acronis true image for years and find it great. It'll cost you a few quid but well worth it >> http://www.acronis.eu/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Need advise please.

I have a desktop(xp) and laptop(vista) that are both connected to a 1tb NAS via my router.

I want to do a full & complete backup of each computer (a copy of everything,my data, my programs, my settings and the operating system)

What program is the best to use for a newbie?

Preferably something that can fully backup & fully restore through a wizard and schedule a weekly backup.

Willing to pay for a good program.

I need to back up all my files. Is it a certain type of hard drive that you need to connect to your router?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Longford Leader

sandisk wrote: »
    I've been using acronis true image for years and find it great. It'll cost you a few quid but well worth it >> http://www.acronis.eu/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Just downloaded the trial and doing an initial full backup.
    seems to have what i need (image drives, make boot cd, recovery, etc)
    Is the price once off or a yearly fee? :confused:

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I need to back up all my files. Is it a certain type of hard drive that you need to connect to your router?

you need to connect a NAS (Network Attached Storage) to your router, so all computers that are connected to your router can backup to the one drive.
    See here http://www.dabs.com/blog/index.php/2011/01/12/the-benefits-of-nas/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

another vote for acronis, it'll do everything you need it to and is definitely worth the money imho.

the only possible issue might be with creating a usb 'rescue' boot disk that includes the network drivers for your PC(s) wich could prevent you from getting access to your backup files if you need to use the boot disk to restore your data. if your NAS has a usb connection to connect it to a PC if you need to then that might be an easy way around the problem if you have it.

an easy test is to create your usb rescue boot disk using acronis (any size disk will do, i think it only needs about 50mb) and then boot both PC's from it and see if you are able to access your backup files.

if not, if you have a full sized desktop or laptop usb hard drive, you *could* just copy your backup files to that from another machine if you ever actually need to do a restore.

personally, i hav a 2nd internal HDD in my PC which i use as a destination for my acronis backups and then have that mirrored to my NAS just in case and that works fine for me.

two thumbs up for acronis tho, i really like it, and that's coming from someone who used to manage corporate backups for almost a petabyte of enterprise data. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement