Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer from DIT to UCD

Options
  • 28-05-2011 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi everyone!

Currently I am in DIT studying Engineering.

I want to do Arts in UCD but Im way off in terms of points.

Now I never did my summer exams because I have another course in DBS but I dont think this is for me either.

I have applied for an external transfer in UCD just there.

What are the odds of getting it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kirkfx

I would say zero, unless points come down, or if you are a mature student.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Arts....

The mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AngryHappy

I got 315 but really want to do it.

Any suggestions?

I feel as if there is nothing I can do!

I was in level 7 in DIT

Why arts in UCD, there are plenty of other arts courses in the country. I think every college has at least some form of an arts course.

What is it specifically you want to do in your Arts degree?

Please note:

All applications for first year of undergraduate programmes are made via CAO. Applicants who have previously attended third-level must give details on the CAO form. Exemption can be sought from modules where similar modules have already been studied via Accreditation of Prior Learning. Students wishing to repeat 1st year do not need to make an application and should contact their Programme Office for advice. In some cases restrictions may apply to applicants who have been unsuccessful in a similar programme in UCD or elsewhere - please see transfer regulations for full details.

Non-EU applications should apply via www.ucd.ie/apply choosing the "non-EU undergrad degree" option. Applicants who are successful in gaining admission can then apply for exemptions via Accreditation of Prior Learning.

All direct applications to UCD must be accompanied by a non-refundable application fee.

From UCD Website regarding "external transfers"

• Advertisement

kirkfx wrote: »
    From UCD Website regarding "external transfers"

But I also found this:
    2.3 External Undergraduate Transfer and Established Progression Routes
    2.3.1 This section applies to external undergraduate students who wish to transfer to stage two or
    beyond of a UCD programme from another recognised third level institution. This type of transfer
    is subject to the following conditions and is subject to approval by the relevant Programme Board:
    • They meet the entry requirements of the class they are entering, except under the conditions
    outlined in 2.3.2 below.
    • They are able to satisfy the progression requirements of the new programme.
    • There are places available in the new programme.
    2.3.2 In certain cases of exceptional extenuating circumstances, a Programme Board may wish to
    waive the requirement that an applicant meet the entry requirements of the class they are
    entering. In this case, the application must be accompanied by a letter of support from the
    academic director of the programme which they are leaving. The matter should then be referred
    by the Programme Board to the Admissions Officer for decision. The Admissions Office

Does that mean that my course leader in DIT can recommend me and I can get exempt!

I dont think you understand how the 3rd level system works.

What course do you want to do in UCD,
    Arts is NOT a course,
    There are courses within arts. ie English and History or Philosophy or Irish History and German etc. Its a pick and choose thing. When you get into arts you choose different subjects, (its kinda like leaving cert i suppose)

You are doing engineering, so unless you are going to do engineering in UCD then you can't transfer in using your time spent in engineering in DIT (ie your credits) because they wont satisfy the requirements that you need to have to get into 2nd year.

ie you cant just wander into 2nd year if you havent done 1st year, you wouldn't know any of the stuff they've covered.

I dont see why you didn't sit the end of year exam cos now you've just wasted the time you spent in 2nd semester, unless it was marked by projects aswel then you ARE NOT going to get credits, effectively you shouldn't have even bothered going in to college for those modules, cos now you have nothing to show for it.

Its also too late to apply to the CAO so your going to have to wait till next january to apply again.

So my honest opinion would be to go back to school put your head down and study, apply for Arts in UCD if thats what you really want and then you'll be there next year in september.

I repeated my leaving last year and went up by 95 points, aswell as 3 grades in Honors Maths, Im now finished 1st year Architecture in DIT and absolutely love it. Repeating was sooo worth it!! You're better off swallowing your pride and just do it, Its not even a year its only 9 months sept-june and it flys. Rather than doing something you dont like for the rest of your life.

Im sorry if i sound harsh, but you dont need anyone sugar coating this. You need to really research this and make an informed decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

kirkfx wrote: »
    I dont think you understand how the 3rd level system works.

What course do you want to do in UCD,
    Arts is NOT a course,
    There are courses within arts. ie English and History or Philosophy or Irish History and German etc. Its a pick and choose thing. When you get into arts you choose different subjects, (its kinda like leaving cert i suppose)

You are doing engineering, so unless you are going to do engineering in UCD then you can't transfer in using your time spent in engineering in DIT (ie your credits) because they wont satisfy the requirements that you need to have to get into 2nd year.

ie you cant just wander into 2nd year if you havent done 1st year, you wouldn't know any of the stuff they've covered.

I dont see why you didn't sit the end of year exam cos now you've just wasted the time you spent in 2nd semester, unless it was marked by projects aswel then you ARE NOT going to get credits, effectively you shouldn't have even bothered going in to college for those modules, cos now you have nothing to show for it.

Its also too late to apply to the CAO so your going to have to wait till next january to apply again.

So my honest opinion would be to go back to school put your head down and study, apply for Arts in UCD if thats what you really want and then you'll be there next year in september.

I repeated my leaving last year and went up by 95 points, aswell as 3 grades in Honors Maths, Im now finished 1st year Architecture in DIT and absolutely love it. Repeating was sooo worth it!! You're better off swallowing your pride and just do it, Its not even a year its only 9 months sept-june and it flys. Rather than doing something you dont like for the rest of your life.

Im sorry if i sound harsh, but you dont need anyone sugar coating this. You need to really research this and make an informed decision.

Plus one on this. You should have dome the exams regardless because you wasted your time. Especially if you were looking for a reccomendation from your course leader since they will not give you a recomendation based on results of 0 in all exmas. It enrages me when people do this, such a waste.

Also the mind biggles at moving from engineering to arts, you are probably going to have to do another course after your arts degree anyway so maybe repeating the leaving might not be such a bad idea. GIves you another year to really think about what you want to do and also gives you a better chance of getting in.

Dont rush into the decision of what course to do, it sounds like you are very unsure yourself still so take your time. You dont want to end up paying for another year of arts since you wont be covered for first year after doing first year in dit and then realising you are going to change course again. Be smart about it.

Plus one on this. You should have dome the exams regardless because you wasted your time. Especially if you were looking for a reccomendation from your course leader since they will not give you a recomendation based on results of 0 in all exmas. It enrages me when people do this, such a waste.

Also the mind biggles at moving from engineering to arts, you are probably going to have to do another course after your arts degree anyway so maybe repeating the leaving might not be such a bad idea. GIves you another year to really think about what you want to do and also gives you a better chance of getting in.

Dont rush into the decision of what course to do, it sounds like you are very unsure yourself still so take your time. You dont want to end up paying for another year of arts since you wont be covered for first year after doing first year in dit and then realising you are going to change course again. Be smart about it.

Exactly!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Whatever_fools

Sorry lads, just to clarify. Students who are currently registered on a third level programme in a CAO institution, who entered that programme through the CAO can reapply for entry to a different CAO programme until Friday 22nd July. You do not need to have taken your end of year exams, you just need to be still registered in the institution. Down side is that you will go back into the Leaving Certificate pot and compete with this years leaving certs for places in terms of points. Not much change in demand for Arts nationally so don’t imagine the points will change much either. Have you considered a level 6 or level 7? At 315 points you would be grand for a lot of those.

We were basing it on the fact that he didnt have enough points to get into it with CAO points and would be looking at transferring rather than reapplying. Or at least I was. Yes the OP can reapply but as you said not much chance of the points coming down. To transfer they would need to have sat exams.

Not sure about that now - that they will need to have taken exams. See http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index.php. Thats not mentioned and the CAO Handbook, being somewhat of a legal document, is normally quite specific.

CAO has nothing to do with transfering colleges it is about entering the college from 2nd level. The admissions office would be dealing with a transfer.

It has already been mentioned that transferring to level 2 / year 2 will not be an option as the credits earned are in a non cognate discipline. Hence, 1st year entry is the only option. The CAO deal with all applications to 1st year regardless of whether the student is coming from second level or another course in third level.

If the student is transferring from another college but is going to 1st year then they tick "Higher Education" on the CAO Application form. If the Higher Education is not assigned a specific level i.e level 6 / level 7 (i.e if they have done 2 years of a 4 year degree then they may be awarded a level 6) then instead they will be assessed on the basis of LC points and will be put back into the pot to compete with all the other LC applicants that year. Applicants in this situation can apply until 22nd July - an 'exception to the CAO timetable'.

Advertisement